?

?
10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Champion The Wonder Horse

Quote from: Estimator on December 05, 2019, 10:21:51 AM
This is what I have so far for a team of the last 20yrs...
1. AN Other
2. K McGuckin
3. N McCusker
4. SM Lockhart
5. P McFlynn
6. G O'Kane
7. C McKaigue
8. F Doherty
9. Patsy Bradley
10. J McBride
11. C Gilligan
12. M Lynch
13. E Bradley
14. E Muldoon
15. Paddy Bradley

Players that could have been considered:
K McCloy
D McBride
E Lynn
J Diver
L Hinphey
B McGoldrick
SL McGoldrick
D Heavron
J Kielt

Not sure about the keeper, Gillis was there for the longest time, but I think the likes of Deighan, Devlin, Mallon, McNicholl etc, although they played a lot less, were more natural goalkeepers.
I ruled out the likes of Gormley, Coleman, Heaney, Downey x2, Brolly, Tohill, Dougan as their careers were winding down at the turn of the century.  If it was a team of the last 30yrs, I would probably have 5 of those included.

Coleman, Heaney, Tohill and Dougan were all still in their 20s at the turn of the century. Tohill won an All-Star in 2000.

Squareball71

Was McKeever not nominated for All stars in both codes in 2000?

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

1. AN Other
2. K McGuckin
3. N McCusker
4. SM Lockhart
5. P McFlynn
6. G O'Kane
7. C McKaigue
8. F Doherty
9. Patsy Bradley
10. J McBride
11. C Gilligan
12. M Lynch
13. E Bradley
14. E Muldoon
15. Paddy Bradley

K McCloy
D McBride
E Lynn
J Diver
L Hinphey
B McGoldrick
SL McGoldrick
D Heavron
J Kielt

Not sure about the keeper, Gillis was there for the longest time, but I think the likes of Deighan, Devlin, Mallon, McNicholl etc, although they played a lot less, were more natural goalkeepers.
I ruled out the likes of Gormley, Coleman, Heaney, Downey x2, Brolly, Tohill, Dougan as their careers were winding down at the turn of the century.  If it was a team of the last 30yrs, I would probably have 5 of those included.

we should get sticker packs in the shops, see which are the most popular with your 10p mix, or bedroom posters or something. We can all ask our parents now that it is coming up to Christmas.

Rawhide

Quote from: Squareball71 on December 05, 2019, 10:27:42 AM

Mc Keever & Tohill got an All Stars in 2000, therefore due to the criteria of the past 20 yrs is a shoe in on the team.

Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on December 05, 2019, 10:26:00 AM
1. AN Other
2. K McGuckin
3. N McCusker
4. SM Lockhart
5. P McFlynn
6. G O'Kane
7. C McKaigue
8. F Doherty
9. Patsy Bradley
10. J McBride
11. C Gilligan
12. M Lynch
13. E Bradley
14. E Muldoon
15. Paddy Bradley

K McCloy
D McBride
E Lynn
J Diver
L Hinphey
B McGoldrick
SL McGoldrick
D Heavron
J Kielt

Coleman, Heaney, Tohill and Dougan were all still in their 20s at the turn of the century. Tohill won an All-Star in 2000.

When you look at the players on that team as being the best we had for that period you can see why he haven't won an Ulster championship. I think nearly all of them played on the one team against Fermangah in 2008 Ulster semifinal and we were beat. Says alot

cccc is a true supporter lol

Real Talk

Looking back I think Dermot Dougan's display against Galway in the AI semifinal was his best performance ever in a Derry shirt .... but because we got beaten it just wasn't recognised

Squareball71

[/quote]
When you look at the players on that team as being the best we had for that period you can see why he haven't won an Ulster championship. I think nearly all of them played on the one team against Fermangah in 2008 Ulster semifinal and we were beat. Says alot
[/quote]

Rawhide I had actually erased that day from my memory. Now it's back there engrained  :'(

Estimator

Quote from: Rawhide on December 05, 2019, 12:54:33 PM
Quote from: Squareball71 on December 05, 2019, 10:27:42 AM

Mc Keever & Tohill got an All Stars in 2000, therefore due to the criteria of the past 20 yrs is a shoe in on the team.

Starting line up from that game:
Derry: B Gillis; K McGuckin, K McCloy, F McEldowney; G O'Kane, N McCusker, M McIver; J Conway, J Diver; M Lynch, P Murphy, E Muldoon; C Gilligan, P Bradley, E Bradley

Not sure about the subs.. can remember Ray Wilkinson coming on and maybe Colin Devlin as well.
Think McBride and McFlynn could have retired from county before that.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: Real Talk on December 05, 2019, 05:20:05 PM
Looking back I think Dermot Dougan's display against Galway in the AI semifinal was his best performance ever in a Derry shirt .... but because we got beaten it just wasn't recognised
I would agree,( think Dougie got 4 points from play that day), the Ulster final against Armagh when he got two goals off McGeeney gets talked about more but he was exceptional in that Galway semi-final.

seanyb1

Quote from: Newbridge Exile on December 05, 2019, 10:09:27 PM
I would agree,( think Dougie got 4 points from play that day), the Ulster final against Armagh when he got two goals off McGeeney gets talked about more but he was exceptional in that Galway semi-final.

AI Semi Final 2001....still haven't got over that one. Such a sickner leaving croker that day

tonesfirstandlast

Quote from: seanyb1 on December 06, 2019, 08:11:17 AM

The management to blame for losing us that one and probably an All Ireland

AI Semi Final 2001....still haven't got over that one. Such a sickner leaving croker that day

tbrick18

Quote from: tonesfirstandlast on December 06, 2019, 11:34:08 AM

I actually agree with this.
That, and Joyce being allowed to steal 10 yards on every free kick.
And, to be fair, Donnellan was unreal.

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: tbrick18 on December 06, 2019, 03:01:03 PM

Ciaran McNally (from memory ) going off injured in the second half was a huge loss for Derry that day too

screenexile

Quote from: Newbridge Exile on December 07, 2019, 08:12:55 AM

Ciaran McNally (from memory ) going off injured in the second half was a huge loss for Derry that day too

Class operator!! Was disappointing he wasn't able to play for Derry more he would have been up there one of the best half backs about at the time!!

Mikhailov

Not from Derry, but our club played Bellaghy regularly around that time in 'friendly' games - McNally was a classy footballer and a tough one at that too. Great club player in fairness

TheOptimist

Quote from: screenexile on December 07, 2019, 10:27:04 AM
Quote from: Newbridge Exile on December 07, 2019, 08:12:55 AM

Class operator!! Was disappointing he wasn't able to play for Derry more he would have been up there one of the best half backs about at the time!!

I remember that day I think when we were 5 up we had an attacking free in front if the Hogan. We took it too short and Galway were awarded the free. Always stands in my mind as a big moment in the game.

My 15 would be

Gillis
Lockhart
McCloy
Mckeever
Okane
Downey
McFlynn
Tohill
Doherty
Lynn
Lynch
SL McGoldrick
E Bradley
Muldoon
P Bradley

01 and 07 were our best teams in that period. In 07 M McGoldrick and Paul Murphy has very good years but didn't feature in too many of the other years. C Devlin had a very good year that year also.

Who would your best player of the period be? Would have to be between Lockhart, F Doherty, tohill and P Bradley. With honourable mention to Lynch and Muldoon?