The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebigfella

Quote from: thewobbler on June 14, 2018, 11:07:14 PM
Quote from: thebigfella on June 14, 2018, 10:37:09 PM
Quote from: Insane Bolt on June 14, 2018, 10:32:56 PM
Tell me if you are a sponsor of a tournament.....say like BMW.....do you honestly think they have no input into how a course is set up? You think they would be happy to see level par win as opposed to 20 under. Ratings.....it's all about ratings.

No they don't. None whatsoever.

Plus the ratings are driven by the quality of the field or tournament.

The problem with a course set up like this is that as it's nearly impossible to make a charge, whoever is out in front by Saturday afternoon will be able to stay in or around the lead playing highly conservative golf. Which is no fun to watch.

That may be so but it's not like the USGA was gonna do anything different. I'm not sure anyone will run away with this, a couple of bad holes could set you back 4 or 5 shots the way it's playing.

screenexile

There will be 5/6 in with a chance of winning on Sunday.

I don't mind that the US Open is so different to the others and that they try and stay to par. It's birdies galore for most of the year so why not have a difficult US Open and a sometimes windy and difficult British Open.

Tomorrow will be interesting as will the cut mark. They're talking about +10 which would be good craic.

Hound

Quote from: screenexile on June 14, 2018, 11:55:43 PM

I don't mind that the US Open is so different to the others and that they try and stay to par. It's birdies galore for most of the year so why not have a difficult US Open and a sometimes windy and difficult British Open.

Tomorrow will be interesting as will the cut mark. They're talking about +10 which would be good craic.
I love this type of course / tournament. Okay, a few of the greens are too tough and maybe unfair, but Augusta has a couple like that too. But I love that if you miss the fairway, then you're in trouble. None of this "grip it and rip it" and you don't care where it lands, because you'll have a wedge to the green no matter what.

You have to play clever golf, accurate golf. And when you make a mistake, you'll almost certainly pay the price. Then of course the wind in R1 made it extra tough. R2 is supposed to be less wind, but still some wind, likely to slightly favour the afternoon starters according to Luke Donald.

Rory hardly ever plays well in the wind, so not surprised to see him struggle. Suits Shane though, the one horror show on the green cost him badly, but +5 isnt out of it.

There's a still a risk DJ could run away with it, but I hope not, in which case we should have a really exciting 3 more days.  For the gamblers out there, there really is some great value if you fancy someone who isnt DJ or Rose.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Hound on June 15, 2018, 08:37:46 AM

I love this type of course / tournament. Okay, a few of the greens are too tough and maybe unfair, but Augusta has a couple like that too. But I love that if you miss the fairway, then you're in trouble. None of this "grip it and rip it" and you don't care where it lands, because you'll have a wedge to the green no matter what.

You have to play clever golf, accurate golf. And when you make a mistake, you'll almost certainly pay the price. Then of course the wind in R1 made it extra tough. R2 is supposed to be less wind, but still some wind, likely to slightly favour the afternoon starters according to Luke Donald.

Rory hardly ever plays well in the wind, so not surprised to see him struggle. Suits Shane though, the one horror show on the green cost him badly, but +5 isnt out of it.

There's a still a risk DJ could run away with it, but I hope not, in which case we should have a really exciting 3 more days.  For the gamblers out there, there really is some great value if you fancy someone who isnt DJ or Rose.

I agree with a lot of that, but in fairness if the greens are OTT it really doesn't matter what you do. Tiger and Shane both 4 putted from about 5 feet on the same green. To me that says there's something off. Phil Mickelson hit 13 out of 14 greens at one stage yesterday, is one of the best short players in the game, and still had a horror show.

Saffrongael

See our Rory didn't speak to the media after his round yesterday.
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Insane Bolt

I'm all for rewarding straight hitters but the greens have to be sensible. Still don't think anyone will run away with it, but seriously doubt if there are many 64/65's out there. Moving day might become stay put day😜 Hope the Hoff can hang in there and give me an interest over the weekend.

Billys Boots

Watching Shane Lowry 4-putt from 4 ft wasn't pretty. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 15, 2018, 08:44:54 AM

I agree with a lot of that, but in fairness if the greens are OTT it really doesn't matter what you do. Tiger and Shane both 4 putted from about 5 feet on the same green. To me that says there's something off. Phil Mickelson hit 13 out of 14 greens at one stage yesterday, is one of the best short players in the game, and still had a horror show.
This is it exactly! The general course setup is tough and there is a real premium on hitting the fairway, which is the way it should be in a Major.  However, the green's do not look good and there were a lot of putts bouncing around yesterday which is a nightmare when they are also running fast.  Its not the first time the USGA have got this wrong recently as Chambers Bay a few years ago was a complete horror show.  Lowry is still well in it at +5 and one decent round could have him back in the mix for Sunday. 

Boycey

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 15, 2018, 08:44:54 AM

A pair amount of sense in those posts, the USGA usually set up a tough course with about even par as their aim for a winning score but when you see half of the world's top 20 shooting +6 or worse I think they've overplayed their hand. Obviously the wind was a major factor but the penalty for being a foot off the fairway oughtn't to be the same as being 20/30 yards off. That 7rh green is bonkers I can't believe that after the furore the last time the Open was played there they didn't change it..

trailer

I'm in two minds if I'm enjoying this or not. I don't mind long rough etc but they can't seem to hold the ball on the green either.
Another thing they seem to have 40 plus people searching for the balls and the TV guys are helping them using replays. Rich Beem stood on DJ's ball and then he gets a drop after the search party had trampled the rough down for 4 mins. If it's punishing it must be punishing for everyone not just the big names in the featured groups who have all the cameras following them.

I also still find it painful to watch these guys making doubles and triples. At this rate I think +1 or +2 might be the winning score.

screenexile

Quote from: trailer on June 15, 2018, 11:32:54 AM
I'm in two minds if I'm enjoying this or not. I don't mind long rough etc but they can't seem to hold the ball on the green either.
Another thing they seem to have 40 plus people searching for the balls and the TV guys are helping them using replays. Rich Beem stood on DJ's ball and then he gets a drop after the search party had trampled the rough down for 4 mins. If it's punishing it must be punishing for everyone not just the big names in the featured groups who have all the cameras following them.

I also still find it painful to watch these guys making doubles and triples. At this rate I think +1 or +2 might be the winning score.

The greens must be really bad Lowry wasn't happy with them at all. The lads on Sky just seemed to say well that's what happens with poana greens after a full days play but reading Lowry's comments seemed to be more than that.

thewobbler

While it is good fun to watch, it wouldn't be something to tune into every week.

Milltown Row2

Surely the conditions are the same for everybody, 4 putting or going +10 is pretty poor regardless for some of these top golfers?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

screenexile

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 15, 2018, 12:06:38 PM
Surely the conditions are the same for everybody, 4 putting or going +10 is pretty poor regardless for some of these top golfers?

On a normal weekend it is but it's happened all over the show yesterday to the top guys so it can't just be a coincidence.

Minder

Quote from: screenexile on June 15, 2018, 12:43:08 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 15, 2018, 12:06:38 PM

On a normal weekend it is but it's happened all over the show yesterday to the top guys so it can't just be a coincidence.

It didn't to DJ
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"