Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Quote from: Boycey on December 11, 2017, 02:02:27 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on December 11, 2017, 12:07:43 PM
Accept it if you like but for me it's unacceptable for Manchester United - especially at home. what - 30 per cent possession and playing for a 0-0 draw? Then when it goes wrong making up shite to try and deflect attention (as always). This is bullshit and I couldn't give a shit of I upset some of ye cliché addicts by telling the truth.

"If I hadn't seen such riches I could live with being poor...."

"...football taught by Matt Busby...."

You're the clichè not me Seanie, all the good points you raise are lost in your dislike for Mourinho. If they win it's in spite of him if they lose it's because of him. If you really believe all this crud about football taught by Matt Busby where was all this rage when the 2 previous managers were doing a considerably worse job than the current one.

You've made my point for me.

Moyes and LVG have managed sides who played nice stuff in the past and were trying to get United to win games. Not play for 0-0 at home. They failed badly and had to go but at least their philosophy on the game was not completely at odds with the history and traditions of the club. Obviously you thinks that's not important and you're clearly not alone. That's your business and you're perfectly entitled to that but I'd then ask you why do you support United? It's because they used to win all the time, yeah? Do you think the United supporters singing songs at matches about the clubs history and traditions are singing about "crud"?

Ye might say that winning is what it's all about but look at the league table. As far away this year as any time in the last 4/5 season despite having a much, much better squad.

magpie seanie

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 11, 2017, 02:08:52 PM
I thought Seanie was going a bit OTT on Mourinho, at the end of the day they are in second place, in the last 16 of Europe, and won two trophies last year including a European trophy. I'd love that at Liverpool, put it like that.

However yesterday I thought United were afraid of City. I've not seen that in a long time, since Moyes certainly. And never with Ferguson. They looked way more dangerous when they went behind both times, which to me indicates that the game plan was needlessly conservative.

And then to read the nonsense afterwards in the City dressing room. That's mental stuff.

Ye have the opposite problem at Liverpool - a manager who doesn't seem to interested in setting up or organising a defence. But by God does he let his attackers go out and express themselves.

Mourinho was a bad fit for United. Never should have been let in the gate. I just hope when he decides to walk out that the bungling board can find a far more suitable replacement with the character and bravery to manage this club. He was put in as a quick fix and rarely do quick fixes work. This will not work.

GJL

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 11, 2017, 02:15:30 PM
I thought Seanie was going a bit OTT on Mourinho, at the end of the day they are in second place, in the last 16 of Europe, and won two trophies last year including a European trophy. I'd love that at Liverpool, put it like that.

However yesterday I thought United were afraid of City. I've not seen that in a long time, since Moyes certainly. And never with Ferguson. They looked way more dangerous when they went behind both times, which to me indicates that the game plan was needlessly conservative.

And then to read the nonsense afterwards in the City dressing room. That's mental stuff.

Ye have the opposite problem at Liverpool - a manager who doesn't seem to interested in setting up or organising a defence. But by God does he let his attackers go out and express themselves.

Mourinho was a bad fit for United. Never should have been let in the gate. I just hope when he decides to walk out that the bungling board can find a far more suitable replacement with the character and bravery to manage this club. He was put in as a quick fix and rarely do quick fixes work. This will not work.

Last year he won a few trophies and got Utd back in the Champions League so in terms of a 'quick fix' it has already worked. Long term who knows but I do share your frustration on how he sets up against the other top 6ish teams. We will see plenty more of this type of tactics in the now knock out stages of Europe..

AZOffaly

Exactly. If you combined Klopp and Mourinho, you'd have a hell of a manager!

BennyCake

What manager was a suitable replacement when Jose took over at United? I didn't see too many about

magpie seanie

Quote from: GJL on December 11, 2017, 02:21:30 PM

Last year he won a few trophies and got Utd back in the Champions League so in terms of a 'quick fix' it has already worked. Long term who knows but I do share your frustration on how he sets up against the other top 6ish teams. We will see plenty more of this type of tactics in the now knock out stages of Europe..

LVG got United into the CL once and won a trophy Fergie couldn't win for a long time. His tenure couldn't really be looked on as a success, bar the unearthing of Rashford and Lingard and the signing of Martial.

magpie seanie

Quote from: BennyCake on December 11, 2017, 02:31:36 PM

What manager was a suitable replacement when Jose took over at United? I didn't see too many about

Simeone, Pochettino, Ancellotti - I don't know the answer but the answer is not Jose Mourinho.

Captain Scarlet

The sad thing is you just knew there would be some poxy sideshow coming down the tracks after this game. A tunnel bust-up this time.
Mourinho is so predictable and yet the soccer journos lap up his utter shite. I grew up as an avid United fan and I still support them but to be honest if Kildare stay up in Div 1 this year I would be more pleased that anything United do in the Premier League.
As I said I still like the club, but I have no time for the way they go out to play. Look at their attacking options yesterday and see how they ended up playing.
As for Lukaku...I see his stats and it says he is a class act, but then you see him barreling around with the ball pinballing off his shins and into defenders...he has to stick that chance. Imagine van Nistelrooy passing that up...
To be honest I am just jealous of City too and it is impossible to dislike lads like Silva and de Bruyne.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Maroon Manc

Over the top criticism again, thread is never this busy when United win. City are a better team than United at the moment and United' best player who we rely too heavily on has missed half of United's league games. We've taken 22 points from 24 with Pogba in the side and 13 points from 24 when he's been out.

Its easy to keep to blaming Mourinho but he put out 4 very attacking players yesterday and had hoped they'd have more impact in terms of pressing City's defence and been more composed when they had the ball, twice in the first half we would easy chances if Rashford and Martial had played a very simple pass. We were always going to concede a lot of possession to City and with having 3 central midfielders injured it forced Mourhino's hand.

We've played some great football this season, we've scored a lot of goals and and will continue to improve once he brings in a couple of more top players. United are going in the right direction despite what some on here think.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on December 11, 2017, 03:09:23 PM
The sad thing is you just knew there would be some poxy sideshow coming down the tracks after this game. A tunnel bust-up this time.
Mourinho is so predictable and yet the soccer journos lap up his utter shite. I grew up as an avid United fan and I still support them but to be honest if Kildare stay up in Div 1 this year I would be more pleased that anything United do in the Premier League.
As I said I still like the club, but I have no time for the way they go out to play. Look at their attacking options yesterday and see how they ended up playing.
As for Lukaku...I see his stats and it says he is a class act, but then you see him barreling around with the ball pinballing off his shins and into defenders...he has to stick that chance. Imagine van Nistelrooy passing that up...
To be honest I am just jealous of City too and it is impossible to dislike lads like Silva and de Bruyne.

I'd be embarrassed if the club I supported was a vehicle for Qatar, with it's brutal laws and human rights record, to try and promote itself.

screenexile

At the end of the day lads Martial and Rashford would roast Walker and Delph had they been allowed to take them on . . . It looked like they were the wing backs and the City lads were playing as wingers!!

Boycey

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 11, 2017, 02:11:22 PM
Quote from: Boycey on December 11, 2017, 02:02:27 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on December 11, 2017, 12:07:43 PM
Accept it if you like but for me it's unacceptable for Manchester United - especially at home. what - 30 per cent possession and playing for a 0-0 draw? Then when it goes wrong making up shite to try and deflect attention (as always). This is bullshit and I couldn't give a shit of I upset some of ye cliché addicts by telling the truth.

"If I hadn't seen such riches I could live with being poor...."

"...football taught by Matt Busby...."

You're the clichè not me Seanie, all the good points you raise are lost in your dislike for Mourinho. If they win it's in spite of him if they lose it's because of him. If you really believe all this crud about football taught by Matt Busby where was all this rage when the 2 previous managers were doing a considerably worse job than the current one.

You've made my point for me.

Moyes and LVG have managed sides who played nice stuff in the past and were trying to get United to win games. Not play for 0-0 at home. They failed badly and had to go but at least their philosophy on the game was not completely at odds with the history and traditions of the club. Obviously you thinks that's not important and you're clearly not alone. That's your business and you're perfectly entitled to that but I'd then ask you why do you support United? It's because they used to win all the time, yeah? Do you think the United supporters singing songs at matches about the clubs history and traditions are singing about "crud"?

Ye might say that winning is what it's all about but look at the league table. As far away this year as any time in the last 4/5 season despite having a much, much better squad.

I think you have made my point for me writing off Mourinhos 'philosophy' of football as somehow being inferior to Moyeses and LVGs. I mean seriously?? his Chelsea team hold the records for points gained in a season, his Real team went toe to toe with whats acknowledged as one of the greatest club teams of all time and that's before stating the obvious to write his career off like that is mind boggling.

In my eyes the past is the past we're not the big dogs anymore, since Fergie left the most points attained in a season is 70.  Mourinho is making a good, not great, fist of getting them back to the summit. Whoever succeeds him will find a club in a much better state than he did a couple of years back. On current form United will be north of 80 points this season that's progress to me. City are just better currently and if Mourinho thinks a pragmatic approach against them may produce a better result I'll bow to his (much) superior knowledge.

As for the jibe about supporting United cause they win things, I'm approaching 50 as another thread on this forum will attest and was in my mid 20s before I saw them win anything other than the occasional cup competition. I spend a good bit of my late teens and early 20s traipsing up and down England, often on my own, watching United an often shite United that certainly didn't always play to the 'traditions' of Manchester United :-)  I reckon that gives me enough leeway to express my opinion on United too.

mrhardyannual

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 11, 2017, 03:33:12 PM
Quote from: Captain Scarlet on December 11, 2017, 03:09:23 PM

I'd be embarrassed if the club I supported was a vehicle for Qatar, with it's brutal laws and human rights record, to try and promote itself.
You'd have no problem supporting City then as it's owners are from the United Arab Emirates, one of the countries to have broken diplomatic relations with Qatar and currently imposing economic restrictions on them. Perhaps you'd be better worrying about a set of owners who allegedly have drained €1 billion from Utd.

BennyCake

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 11, 2017, 02:46:54 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on December 11, 2017, 02:31:36 PM

Simeone, Pochettino, Ancellotti - I don't know the answer but the answer is not Jose Mourinho.

Poch still unproven then. Still is. In terms of winning anyway. Simone done well in Spain. Big risk hoping he'd transfer that easily to the PL. Ancelotti yes, probably the only proven one after that. Think he was tied up then though. Would have been happy enough with him though tbh. But always maintained Jose was the answer. Still do.

Syferus

Anyone looking at where Man Utd were before Jose and where they are now and saying he's not the answer is asking a different question to most people.