Holidays

Started by Oakleafer93, June 03, 2009, 01:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SamFever

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 29, 2020, 12:18:21 PM
Quote from: SamFever on January 29, 2020, 10:35:09 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 21, 2020, 08:55:49 PM
Vilamoura booked, countdown is on. It's great having a target again. My only problem is sorting out the dogs.
Recommend anywhere to stay in Vilamoura?

We booked a Villa, but there are 7 going so it works out cheaper, 2 families the kids are adults (well one 17) flights I thought were expensive enough though, but if you can get somewhere near the marina or centre then its best, a friend of mine goes every year, has stayed in the Old Village apartments says its great
Thank-you!

Rois

Stayed in the Crowne Plaza last year and it was nice.  My sis and her family had an apartment in the Lake Resort and I think found it lovely but definitely pricey.

Both are relatively close to the marina so location is good.   

I just didn't love Vilamoura myself - got bored walking around the marina every evening.  In hindsight we would have rented a car.   

galwayman

Speaking of Portugal - anyone been to Cascais near Lisbon with kids?
It wouldn't be in the height of summer - struggling to find anywhere with a pool that won't be too cold for a 3 year old to use.

Rois

Quote from: galwayman on January 29, 2020, 12:59:46 PM
It wouldn't be in the height of summer - struggling to find anywhere with a pool that won't be too cold for a 3 year old to use.
Ha - me, but not with kids.  I loved it.  We're going back in May with a group of friends from school for a big birthday celebration.

Beautiful spot, and loads to do and nice little centre to walk around in evenings, as well as great coastal walk from Estoril.  Regarding pools, couldn't comment.  We stayed in a boutique hotel last time which had a pool but not really suitable for kids.  This time we're staying in the Miragem Hotel which has outdoor and indoor pools but not sure if heated or not.  The Pestana group usually have kid-friendly places but I haven't been in the Cascais one. 

Taylor

Anyone recommend any family friendly resorts after flying in to Alicante.

Dont want to go near Benidorm but struggling to find elsewhere that has places to keep kids amused

trailer

Quote from: Rois on January 29, 2020, 12:42:46 PM
Stayed in the Crowne Plaza last year and it was nice.  My sis and her family had an apartment in the Lake Resort and I think found it lovely but definitely pricey.

I just didn't love Vilamoura myself - got bored walking around the marina every evening.  In hindsight we would have rented a car.

So this. You defo need a yoke. About 2 days does you around the Marina. Stayed in the Tivoli. Grand spot.

bigfrank

Any of the vilamoura visitors above golfers?? Would love to head to it or the algarve for a few days golfing,see loads of deals all over fb but would rather hear it first hand of someone. The other half has no interest in golf but she could lie at the pool maybe lol

Rois

Just played golf once on our trip, at Dom Pedro Laguna. Not cheap unless you are on a good package and bring your own clubs. We took a twilight rate and the clubhouse was all closed up by the time we finished.
Take a look at Cascais/Estoril outside Lisbon. Seems to be v popular with golfers too.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Rois on January 29, 2020, 01:05:23 PM
Quote from: galwayman on January 29, 2020, 12:59:46 PM
Ha - me, but not with kids.  I loved it.  We're going back in May with a group of friends from school for a big birthday celebration.

Beautiful spot, and loads to do and nice little centre to walk around in evenings, as well as great coastal walk from Estoril.  Regarding pools, couldn't comment.  We stayed in a boutique hotel last time which had a pool but not really suitable for kids.  This time we're staying in the Miragem Hotel which has outdoor and indoor pools but not sure if heated or not.  The Pestana group usually have kid-friendly places but I haven't been in the Cascais one.

Went there before kids but didnt notice too many around but they could have been in different hotels. I'm not much of beach person/resort person but I can tolerate for a couple o nights, the whole place seemed a bit sterile and swanky so might not be aiming at the family holiday market. In theory should be a nice base for Lisbon which is great BTW as its only a short ride away on the train.

Howd the CA trip go Rios?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rois on January 29, 2020, 12:42:46 PM

I'm past visiting places, city breaks are great for sight seeing as my kids can't be bothered at their age and I can't bribe them anymore, but I just want the sun the pool, drinks and a few books. The villa is close enough to the centre and marina so it's dander about and snacks and drinks while people watching!

I used to hire car every time but I'm the only on driving!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Newbridge Exile

A walk to Quarteria along the promenade  is a nice way to spend an evening (done fantastic restaurants up there too )

thewobbler

Quote from: bigfrank on January 29, 2020, 07:39:33 PM
Any of the vilamoura visitors above golfers?? Would love to head to it or the algarve for a few days golfing,see loads of deals all over fb but would rather hear it first hand of someone. The other half has no interest in golf but she could lie at the pool maybe lol

I head most years with a group of 15-20.

Usually Vilamourq, sometimes further west.

Golf is expensive there, and if I'm being honest is poor value compared to Ireland - but the 90% sun guarantee is a premium worth paying for.

If you're talking about going as a single, then most of those deals you see likely wouldn't apply to you. They're for groups bookings.

But that said you'll catch a spare end in a fourball on almost every course every day.

Rois

Quote from: omaghjoe on January 29, 2020, 09:42:39 PM
Howd the CA trip go Rios?
Sort of changed from original plans - flew direct to Seattle, few days there, then flew to Salt Lake City, stayed in Park City and then did a tour of Utah national parks, inc Arches, Bryce Canyon and Zion for second time.  Then travelled through Vegas to Palm Springs, and few days in Santa Monica at the end (hadn't been, and have seen it now so won't need to go back).
Super trip but going in October instead of early Sep made a big difference to length of days. 

Aristo 60

Rois, have you ever done Magaluf or Benidorm? What can you tell us about those types of places  :P

Dire Ear

Lloret de Mar, Costa Brava ?? Camping Cala Canyelles,   1st time there,  and with 2 children?