The Super(ish) Leeds United Thread

Started by Rufus T Firefly, January 25, 2007, 08:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 16, 2019, 08:57:32 AM
Surely Bielsa must get sacked for blowing automatic promotion and failing to address such a mentally weak group of players who ballsed up at home in the playoffs?

Your post is, I assume, designed to get a reaction. Nevertheless I'll respond.

You are correct in one instance. The players are mentally weak and their collapse, following a catastrophic error, mirrored the collapse in the pivotal game against Wigan on Good Friday. Bielsa can only work with what he has and even the resources he had to work with were hugely undermined by a long injury list and a relatively small squad, the size of which was itself a product of Leeds' financial situation. 

Bielsa is a coaching genius. That explains why he managed to get so far with essentially the same group of players that had such a miserable season last year. Achieving promotion would have been the ultimate act of footballing alchemy. The reality is that mentally weak players will bottle big games - it is in their nature. That does not undermine Bielsa's genius - it only highlights the fact that he's not a magician.   

magpie seanie

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on May 16, 2019, 09:00:12 AM
As I survey the debris this morning, one of the things that is particularly galling is the kudos being given to Frank for his inspirational management. I'm convinced their victory was utterly dependent on the hari-kari committed by the Leeds defence rather than Frank's management.

Knee jerk paint by number analysis of sporting events? Surely not? Whatever next!  ;D

It's rampant.

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on May 16, 2019, 09:17:39 AM
Surely Bielsa must get sacked for blowing automatic promotion and failing to address such a mentally weak group of players who ballsed up at home in the playoffs?

Your post is, I assume, designed to get a reaction. Nevertheless I'll respond.

You are correct in one instance. The players are mentally weak and their collapse, following a catastrophic error, mirrored the collapse in the pivotal game against Wigan on Good Friday. Bielsa can only work with what he has and even the resources he had to work with were hugely undermined by a long injury list and a relatively small squad, the size of which was itself a product of Leeds' financial situation. 

Bielsa is a coaching genius. That explains why he managed to get so far with essentially the same group of players that had such a miserable season last year. Achieving promotion would have been the ultimate act of footballing alchemy. The reality is that mentally weak players will bottle big games - it is in their nature. That does not undermine Bielsa's genius - it only highlights the fact that he's not a magician.
Spot on there Rufus. I hope he stays.
Careful now

Milltown Row2

Bielsa could be in the EPL next season if not given a commitment from the Leeds board, an ovbiously very good manager just hands tied stuff from the Leeds board, this all coming from a very depressed co worker of mine who was venting this moring
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

lurganblue

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 16, 2019, 09:31:28 AM
Bielsa could be in the EPL next season if not given a commitment from the Leeds board, an ovbiously very good manager just hands tied stuff from the Leeds board, this all coming from a very depressed co worker of mine who was venting this moring

Brighton?

Estimator

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on May 16, 2019, 09:00:12 AM
As I survey the debris this morning, one of the things that is particularly galling is the kudos being given to Frank for his inspirational management. I'm convinced their victory was utterly dependent on the hari-kari committed by the Leeds defence rather than Frank's management.

I'd agree with that. The brain fart from the keeper just before half time, was the turning point.  He almost repeated it a couple of minutes later.
As for Frank's management, going on the attack, when you need to score goals and win the game is hardly rocket science.

Anyway the big game is at Fratton Park this evening.
Ulster League Champions 2009

seafoid

It's the usual very disappointing loss story. When a team loses like that a number of players malfunction. It's pro soccer so the club will have to buy some new players and build on what was achieved this year . Leeds were 13th last year .
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rufus T Firefly

Gutted for Frank yesterday.   :)

I note that there has been a lot of talk about Qatari interest in investing in the Club. Would love to see a major takeover and investment that would see us back to the glory days, but I don't think I'd be comfortable with the source of that money and the appalling human rights' record. 

The fact that it appears to have been rebuffed suggests either that Radrizzani shares those sentiments or that he is loathe to give up his stake in the Club or what they are offering is simply not good enough.

However the talk is that Radrizzani has been talking to up to six different parties who have expressed an interest in investing in the Club, so the suggestion would be that he is open to investment from outside.

From trawling through the online media, I have read that the intention next year - as things stand - is that there will be no major investment in the squad and that the key will be to sell some existing players off, use the money generated to replace them and to bring through members of the successful Under 23 squad and to be a wee bit more incisive with our loans strategy.

Villa showed yesterday that astute loan signings can be very influential, and that is something that we can definitely learn from, but the sense is that Bielsa - if he stays - will need to work more magic if we are to be in with a shout of going up.

lurganblue

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on May 28, 2019, 09:33:57 AM
Gutted for Frank yesterday.   :)

I note that there has been a lot of talk about Qatari interest in investing in the Club. Would love to see a major takeover and investment that would see us back to the glory days, but I don't think I'd be comfortable with the source of that money and the appalling human rights' record. 

The fact that it appears to have been rebuffed suggests either that Radrizzani shares those sentiments or that he is loathe to give up his stake in the Club or what they are offering is simply not good enough.

However the talk is that Radrizzani has been talking to up to six different parties who have expressed an interest in investing in the Club, so the suggestion would be that he is open to investment from outside.

From trawling through the online media, I have read that the intention next year - as things stand - is that there will be no major investment in the squad and that the key will be to sell some existing players off, use the money generated to replace them and to bring through members of the successful Under 23 squad and to be a wee bit more incisive with our loans strategy.

Villa showed yesterday that astute loan signings can be very influential, and that is something that we can definitely learn from, but the sense is that Bielsa - if he stays - will need to work more magic if we are to be in with a shout of going up.

Yeah Derby were shrewd enough on the loan front themselves too. If going the loan route though I think it's important that they only agree to deals with an option to buy built in.

seafoid

He has been retained for another go
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

lurganblue

Massive for Leeds that. Now to see if he gets anything to invest at all.

SLIGONIAN

As I said in my last post I don't trust the player mentality to get us up.

Great the that Bielsa has been retained.

Cooper is a good guy but always buckles under pressure, for me he was more at fault for the first goal and he gave away the penalty. Berardi is alway a liability in getting sent off. And Bamford is a complete waste of space, he gets banned for 2 games for diving and in the 1st half he was falling all over the place. It was embarrasing.  Pablos legs had gone by the play offs, he wasnt himself which was a pity but its a long season for him.

Fair play to Dallas showing up when it mattered most and even Harrison turns up in the big games, both can be terrible against weaker teams.

Leeds need another striker badly, roofe and bamford are injury prone too but roofe is far more ruthless. We create a huge amount of chances and terrible conversion rate. I would sell bamford and buy 2 strikers, maybe loans, Gayle from Newcastle linked.

I wouldnt be against selling Clarke if offered 20m. I know he has a great future but he hasnt played well since the collapse from virus which tells me its still lingering. Hopefully he will be fully healthy soon.

The way Derby celebrated the semi final I was glad they lost yday.

I was devastated but im immune to pain where Leeds are concerned in many ways. They remind me of Sligo from the mental perspective and collapse.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on May 28, 2019, 08:40:55 PM
As I said in my last post I don't trust the player mentality to get us up.

Great the that Bielsa has been retained.

Cooper is a good guy but always buckles under pressure, for me he was more at fault for the first goal and he gave away the penalty. Berardi is alway a liability in getting sent off. And Bamford is a complete waste of space, he gets banned for 2 games for diving and in the 1st half he was falling all over the place. It was embarrasing.  Pablos legs had gone by the play offs, he wasnt himself which was a pity but its a long season for him.

Fair play to Dallas showing up when it mattered most and even Harrison turns up in the big games, both can be terrible against weaker teams.

Leeds need another striker badly, roofe and bamford are injury prone too but roofe is far more ruthless. We create a huge amount of chances and terrible conversion rate. I would sell bamford and buy 2 strikers, maybe loans, Gayle from Newcastle linked.

I wouldnt be against selling Clarke if offered 20m. I know he has a great future but he hasnt played well since the collapse from virus which tells me its still lingering. Hopefully he will be fully healthy soon.

The way Derby celebrated the semi final I was glad they lost yday.

I was devastated but im immune to pain where Leeds are concerned in many ways. They remind me of Sligo from the mental perspective and collapse.

Good post and the two parts I have highlighted in bold are absolutely on the money for me. The common thinking for that goal was that it was Kiko's fault. It wasn't - although he didn't particularly help the situation. Liam Cooper had an unhindered attempt to play the ball and succeeded only in setting up an open goal for the striker.

Our conversion rate is nothing short of shocking. Even an average return of goals compared to shots would surely have seen us promoted automatically.

Billys Boots

Brilliant news that Bielsa is staying - I seriously doubted he would. 

Cooper is very error prone, and has been for some time - a bit like Richard Dunne early in his career.  Not sure if Cooper can grow with experience in the way that Dunny did.  In fact, I'd be inclined to think that he has reached his peak and is on the way down, form-wise. 

I agree that Bamford is not the answer to the goalscoring issues.  Roofe is a decent player, if he can stay fit.  Gayle would be a good buy, but I think they need another scoring option also. 

"Devastated, but immune to pain" - would have to agree with that, it should be the club motto. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

SLIGONIAN

I seen a stat we score from 1 of 12 chances created. Most teams score from 1 in 3. Think Gayle is out of reach financially, think we will look at loan market. Roofe only has a year left on his Contract and i paid alot less than bamford so that could be tricky deal to get done.

Have to keep Phillips, he was outstanding and Roberts was huge loss in the last few games. Both had great seasons and are young. Left back position I am not so sure on Douglas, Alioski looked better in there and Dallas did well when it mattered.

Theres a great podcast done by the Square ball lads, they just did a season review with Phil Hay.

https://www.thesquareball.net/podcasts/

Scroll down the page to the bottom

Did any of ye see that Ross McCormack who spent the season on loan in OZ had a clause in his contract if Villa get promoted within 3 years his wages go up to 70k sterling a week. :o
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"