The Super(ish) Leeds United Thread

Started by Rufus T Firefly, January 25, 2007, 08:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rufus T Firefly

A great result and win. I thought we were well worth the victory and I thought contained Derby quite comfortably. My one issue would have been that we had the chance to put the tie to bed, as we could and probably should, have won by two or three, but the same old failing of a lack of cutting edge was there for all to see. Derby therefore are still very much in the tie.

Leeds squad is really down to the bare bones now - Roberts and Jansson both missed out through injury and Forshaw went off injured early on, although young Shackleton was excellent whe he came on, and Bamford will be back for the second leg. Derby are likely to point to the penalty decision that was reversed. Watched it several times since, and I'm still not sure of it was a penalty or not. Very relieved though!! Still all to play for and hopefully we can do enough to see it over the line.   

seafoid

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on May 11, 2019, 11:13:02 PM
A great result and win. I thought we were well worth the victory and I thought contained Derby quite comfortably. My one issue would have been that we had the chance to put the tie to bed, as we could and probably should, have won by two or three, but the same old failing of a lack of cutting edge was there for all to see. Derby therefore are still very much in the tie.

Leeds squad is really down to the bare bones now - Roberts and Jansson both missed out through injury and Forshaw went off injured early on, although young Shackleton was excellent whe he came on, and Bamford will be back for the second leg. Derby are likely to point to the penalty decision that was reversed. Watched it several times since, and I'm still not sure of it was a penalty or not. Very relieved though!! Still all to play for and hopefully we can do enough to see it over the line.

Derby had their first shot on target after 70 or so minutes
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Mourne Rover

According to the BBC stats, Derby had no shots on target at any stage. The big positive was that Leeds were back to our form from the first half of the season, with a high press, high intensity game which Derby could not handle. As Rufus says, the only concern is that we probably should have had a second goal. Derby are still capable of scoring at Elland Road, so the tie is certainly not over, but there is more than a hint of fate about the possibility of meeting Villa in the final.

seafoid

ziggy90

Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Captain Obvious

Tony Baloney

seafoid

https://www.bbc.com/sport/live/football/48163056/page/2

« Leeds 2-3 Derby (3-3 agg)

Ian Woodcock
BBC Sport at Elland Road
Gaetano Berardi punched the tunnel as he made his way furiously to the dressing room. »

The referee Antony Taylor had let a few heavy tackles go in the immediate build up to Berardi's challenge but the Swiss left him with no option but to show red.

Leeds were in control against a tiring Rams before his dismissal. »

Next thing Derby scored

RedHand88

Rufus T Firefly

Utterly sick, but the reality is they are not good enough - fatal errors at the biggest possible moments. Injuries impacted hugely on a small squad whilst some big names never counted - I have never seen Pablo so ineffective. Paddy Bamford should have been sitting in our living room watching the match and although Kiko will come in for criticism for the first goal, Cooper had a chance to clear and fluffed it. That first goal turned the tie - which should have been over last Saturday - on its head.

Regardless of tonight, I honestly believe we are a superior team to Derby, so I'll be even more utterly sick if the beat Villa in the Final.

Absolutely gutted!  :'(

Mourne Rover

A tough night for Leeds, so condolences to Rufus and the rest of the faithful, but we have been there before and will be there again. If Leeds had gone in at the break at 1-0, and then followed Bielsa's normal instructions, we should have closed it out fairly comfortably. Instead, we had a catastrophic goalkeeping error almost on the whistle and were then caught cold in the first minute of the second half. Derby did play well when they were given the chance, but, if Berardi had avoided a foolish red card, we still looked like finishing as the stronger side. Starting him ahead of Jansson was probably a rare selection error from Bielsa  but hopefully he will stay for another season. Plan A needs to be avoiding the play-offs, as history tells us that the weight of expectation tends to crush all but the toughest characters in the squad. While Dallas was outstanding tonight, we did not quite have enough quality elsewhere when we badly needed it.

cornerback

That was hard to take but i don't think Leeds deserved to get anything out of the game.

But in the lead up to the winning goal there was a blatant dive to try to win a penalty... a free out and a yellow card should've been awarded.  That would've relieved the pressure at that point as it was a frantic few minutes in and around the Leeds box.

However, you can also point to Leeds 2nd being marginally offside.

magpie seanie

Surely Bielsa must get sacked for blowing automatic promotion and failing to address such a mentally weak group of players who ballsed up at home in the playoffs?

Rufus T Firefly

As I survey the debris this morning, one of the things that is particularly galling is the kudos being given to Frank for his inspirational management. I'm convinced their victory was utterly dependent on the hari-kari committed by the Leeds defence rather than Frank's management. 

tyroneman

I'm guessing the Bamford for Ireland clamour is gone......