Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Oh and Tiny life is a very deserving charity, throw the link up closer to the time lol, always good to run for a charity.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

jcpen

Quote from: JimStynes on February 08, 2024, 09:47:51 AM
Quote from: jcpen on February 08, 2024, 07:55:53 AM
Quote from: JimStynes on February 07, 2024, 10:41:40 PMBooked New York marathon for November! Anyone ever done it?
Did you get in through a ballot or go down the route of the sports tours?

Running for a charity called 'Tiny Life'. It's a charity that helped me a lot in the past so time to repay them. It'll cost me a fortune but sure it's a once in a life time type thing for me. If anyone wants to sponsor a few quid then I will fire the link up. I have no shame lol

I am not really worried about a time or anything and I know it's a very tough and hilly marathon so I will be happy just finishing. I need to get a coach or someone to train with to keep me right and injury free. I have no clue how to structure the year from now to start of November. It's too early to train for the marathon so I might try focus on a few half marathons first.
Fair play best of luck. I think running something as iconic as the New York Marathon it's right to just enjoy it(as much as anyone can enjoy running 42km ;D ) and not worry about time.
Not Tufll or from Laois

clarshack

https://www.facebook.com/brockenhurstparkrun

seen that some man in England has resigned as an Event Director at his local Parkrun over the whole carry on this week.

clarshack

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 08, 2024, 07:33:33 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on February 08, 2024, 07:22:56 AMFrom the group I train with a few have done new york and the feeling is that it's fantastic but is also a very tough marathon.

Hadn't realised parkrun had removed records etc but there was a lot of furore around the categories etc so I suspect it's that.

Prize money at park runs? Park runs are not taken seriously, well I never thought they were. It's a Saturday morning bitta craic run.

It is for most people but the first so many over the line definitely take it seriously.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: clarshack on February 09, 2024, 10:34:18 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 08, 2024, 07:33:33 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on February 08, 2024, 07:22:56 AMFrom the group I train with a few have done new york and the feeling is that it's fantastic but is also a very tough marathon.

Hadn't realised parkrun had removed records etc but there was a lot of furore around the categories etc so I suspect it's that.

Prize money at park runs? Park runs are not taken seriously, well I never thought they were. It's a Saturday morning bitta craic run.

It is for most people but the first so many over the line definitely take it seriously.

I've done dozens of them over the years, and I've never seen that as thing to be honest, I've ran them hard (breaking 20mins was the target) and easy but never got that vibe from the guys/ladies at the front. I suppose its different in other places.

There's never been prize money and its a voluntary run set up, the wife even volunteered one time outta guilt for showing up every week.

Running in most cases is a personal thing, its you the road and the time, that doesn't become a thing as you get older mind you!!

Should we just ban all transgenders at these things or just create a category and move on?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

LC

Having frustrating problems with a hamstring issue that I cant get on top of.

Not necessarily pulling the hamstring but it keeps cramping on a regular basis and that is basically when I am jogging a relatively slow pace of approx 6 mins per 1k.  Going to a physio on a regular basis but it seems to be always two steps forward and three steps back.  One person told me you should be stretching every day whether your running or not and another person said too much stretching is a bad thing.

Very frustrating as I am just looking to run an easy 10k with no aspirations for half or full marathons or anything like that.

Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

imtommygunn

As odd as this sounds it's not necessarily a hamstring problem. Make sure your glute is strong enough and stretch too. If your glute isn't strong enough your hamstring will pick up the slack. Also check hip flexor and quad tightness. If they're tight they will cause hamstring to overwork. Basically what is going on with your hamstring is probably it having to pick up the slack for something else not working right.

LC

Thanks for this and what you are saying makes senses.

In the days I have been out for a run and the hamstring (primarily left side) has not cramped my left glute has felt tight however.

gerrykeegan

Anyone ever get random cramps in the foot. I'm running 4/5 days a week. No change in mileage. The cramping can happen hours after running. When I'm sitting around. Very strange.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

Nanderson

Quote from: gerrykeegan on February 24, 2024, 02:16:16 PMAnyone ever get random cramps in the foot. I'm running 4/5 days a week. No change in mileage. The cramping can happen hours after running. When I'm sitting around. Very strange.
I'd be thinking an electrolyte imbalance

AustinPowers

Quote from: gerrykeegan on February 24, 2024, 02:16:16 PMAnyone ever get random cramps in the foot. I'm running 4/5 days a week. No change in mileage. The cramping can happen hours after running. When I'm sitting around. Very strange.

I get this fairly  often. Not so much when exercising  but  it tends to happen  in the evening.  Sometimes lying in bed .

mostly  it happens when I'm  doing my Pilates  style   stretches  which  I do most days. The foot just locks and the it can be painful