County Manager Merry go round

Started by Rossfan, August 11, 2015, 02:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Cian O'Neill has stepped down.

Kildare is a difficult gig for man different reasons and he did a decent job, spoke very well on behalf of the county last summer.

Wishing him the best. Can see him getting involved with the Cork footballers. I think they would be mad not to bring him in.
#newbridgeornowhere

rodney trotter

He seemed from the outside all talk with not much substance. All good with the scientific talk, but not that inspiring as a manager. Thomas O Se wasn't impressed when he was coach kerry

Blowitupref

His championship record with Kildare  P 20 W 9 D 1 L 10

Highlight and low light both happened last summer with the defeat to Carlow followed by the win v Mayo. When he took over Kildare they were in Div 3 and after a brief spell in Div 1 he has left them in Div 2.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Dinny Breen

Quote from: rodney trotter on July 16, 2019, 12:57:34 PM
He seemed from the outside all talk with not much substance. All good with the scientific talk, but not that inspiring as a manager. Thomas O Se wasn't impressed when he was coach kerry

Kerry haven't won or looked like winning an All-Ireland since he left.

He's not a top dog though more of a backroom appointee.
#newbridgeornowhere

Throw ball

Will they try and get Geezer back ?

mup

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 16, 2019, 12:31:59 PM
Cian O'Neill has stepped down.

Kildare is a difficult gig for man different reasons and he did a decent job, spoke very well on behalf of the county last summer.

Wishing him the best. Can see him getting involved with the Cork footballers. I think they would be mad not to bring him in.

I think it was more of a case of not being wanted. Either way he's gone.

Interesting to see who is next for the gig.

Donnellys Hollow

Sorry to see him go although the time is probably right for a change. It seemed to go stale this year after some decent progress since 2016.

Frustrating that we never seemed to be able to find much consistency and get over the line in tight matches during 2017-18; apart from the Newbridge or Nowhere saga. Div 2 league final in 2017, Armagh R4 qualifier after a decent Leinster campaign, Tyrone, Monaghan and Donegal Div 1 league games and the Galway and Monaghan games in the Super 8 last year.

I would be very surprised if his replacement is an outside appointment.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Maroon Manc

I came on here in hope of seeing some good news, none yet.

GalwayBayBoy

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Blowitupref on July 16, 2019, 01:03:10 PM

Highlight and low light both happened last summer with the defeat to Carlow followed by the win v Mayo. When he took over Kildare they were in Div 3 and after a brief spell in Div 1 he has left them in Div 2.

Is that a good or bad record? Is there similar figures available for, say McGeeney with Kildare or Kevin Walsh with Galway?

The Mayo win last year showed up how bad the other poor results were. Similar to Cork this year.
I guess he never really got momentum with Kildare and it sounds like there are a number of factors
Hasta la victoria siempre

Hound

Could Jack O'Connor be a serious contender?

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on July 17, 2019, 06:07:48 AM
Quote from: Blowitupref on July 16, 2019, 01:03:10 PM

Is that a good or bad record? Is there similar figures available for, say McGeeney with Kildare or Kevin Walsh with Galway?

The Mayo win last year showed up how bad the other poor results were. Similar to Cork this year.
I guess he never really got momentum with Kildare and it sounds like there are a number of factors

The stat is a bit disingenuous. 3 of those defeats came in the Super 8s (Monaghan, Kerry, Galway) last year. The 2 defeats this year were to Dublin & Tyrone.  2017 we lost to Dublin and 2016 we lost to Mayo. So 7 of those 10 defeats were to 6 of the best 7 teams in the country and never once were we favs.

The Carlow defeat was a perfect storm, Kildare hadn't won a game in a year, Carlow had been promoted, Carlow had a game plan they believed and everything they touched turned to gold, not one wide so I don't get to downbeat on that one. Nor Westmeath in 2016, CON tried something new, can't fault him for that, it's what he was there for and it didn't work out.

The big disappointment was 2017 and Armagh, a game we were favourites for and just got bullied and out smarted. CON was poor that day, that game could have pushed us on, it set us back and CON's Kildare never really recovered from it. 
#newbridgeornowhere

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Hound on July 17, 2019, 08:24:07 AM
Could Jack O'Connor be a serious contender?

Hard to say, obviously his two lads are involved with Moorefield and that always gives rise to speculation. If he delivers an u20 AI this year for Kerry, his star will be bright again.

The populist media view is Malachy O'Rourke, the sentimental view and current favourite is Glenn Ryan.

Glenn would be my choice but I am very biased there so no surprise.

The reality is Dublin have placed a dark cloud over the Leinster Championship,  so for any outside coach looking in, taking on the Kildare job will not give you a realistic chance of provincial honours .

Take Galway & Kildare as examples, on their day not much between them over the last few years, both have decent underage structures and a good club scene. But which job is more attractive, the one where there is a culture of provincial honours and an expectation to deliver same or one where you rarely win a provincial and you are competing against a team that has won 14 of the last 15?

#newbridgeornowhere