Donegal v Tyrone Ulster Championship

Started by give her dixie, October 04, 2012, 08:24:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redhand Santa

I'm not sure the team come championship will be that untried. Unless the new boys really push themselves in the league I'd say there's only be one or 2 championship debuts. A team for example like this may end up starting:
McConnell
McRory
Clarke
Gormley
McNamee
Justy
Harte
S Cavanagh
Joe McMahon
Mattie Donnelly
Penrose
C Cavanagh
Coney
O'Neill
Ronan O'Neill/McCurry

A lot of the younger players have won underage All Irelands and have been around for a few years now and the hope would be they're ready to push on to the next level. To have any chance of winning an All Ireland though Tyrone need everyone fit and its still an outside chance.

nrico2006

I still think Tyrone are weak in the full back line.  Clarke looks a good prospect but not entirely confident in McRory and Gormleys ability to keep dangermen quiet.  What is the craic with Mattie Donnelly, seemed to be a player coming through with lots of scores in him but any time I see him play for Tyrone he is more of a work horse than anything else.  How long is Conan Grugan out for?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

J70

I would expect a very tough game, again, no matter what team Tyrone put out. However, if the Donegal attitude is right and they're hungry enough (not guaranteed, obviously, having just won an AI) I would expect us to win.

nrico2006

Could Harte be hatching a master plan and leaning towards some kind of AISF 2003 swarm tactic for the Donegal game, match fire with fire and hit them with Donegal with an intensity they won't have experienced before or will he just go man for man.  When you look back at 2003, Tyrone had a pretty young team that took intensity to another level, but it was not as evident in the Ulster Championship or the Fermanagh game.  Was the tactic one that was coached by Harte or Tally, and what exactly is Horse Devlin bringing to the table.  Are there any standout characteristics that he leaves on teams that he has coached?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

RMDrive

Plenty for Tyrone to be happy about. They are going well. Fisherman Paddy Heaney is assuming though that Donegal will stay still from last year. I'd be pretty sure that things will evolve a bit more for us. Nothing dramatic but I'd be confident that there will be particular aspects that Jim will develop this year.
First on my list would be to get the ball to Tony Thompson when he's open. Don't know how many times last year that he made a brilliant burst forward into acres of space only to be missed or a bad ball played to him.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: nrico2006 on January 29, 2013, 03:50:06 PM
I still think Tyrone are weak in the full back line.  Clarke looks a good prospect but not entirely confident in McRory and Gormleys ability to keep dangermen quiet.  What is the craic with Mattie Donnelly, seemed to be a player coming through with lots of scores in him but any time I see him play for Tyrone he is more of a work horse than anything else.  How long is Conan Grugan out for?

Would also have reservations over the full back line. Guess he intends to cover it up by having men back with one of the McMahons playing as sweeper. I would be disappointed if we didn't match Donegals fitness come championship. I know that some of the players are training practically every day of the week and we've a young enough team now. Personally think this is a great draw for Tyrone.

Not sure exactly what Horse will offer. I think in recent years we've lacked a bit of fight and he seems the sort of person that will let the boys know if they're not putting their bodies on the line. He obviously was an excellent reader of the game as a player so hopefully this can be used to help the players.

tyroneman

How is John McCullough progressing after the 2010 AI Win?

Remember him and RoNeill teaming up nicely.

drici

Ballybofey it is.

theticklemister

Quote from: drici on March 26, 2013, 09:16:08 PM
Ballybofey it is.

How? New bog roll in the toilets drici?

J70

Place should be rocking! Biggest match in Ballybofey for years!

donegal lad

As mentioned on the other thread the Donegal democrate carried a story a while ago saying if the game was played in ballybofey that both county boards will only get 6000 tickets. Now don't know where that figure came from as was under the impression ballybofey will be able to hold 18000 for this game

yellowcard

In a neutral venue, this match would be a close call. In Ballybofey Donegal will have a decent advantage though. On paper it looks like the Ulster Final and wouldn't be at all surprised if both teams reach the last 4.

ck

Ballybofey is a dreary enough wee ground. As a neutral I'm disappointed as its a game I would have gone to but not in Ballybofey as ill not get a ticket.

ONeill

Tyrone by 4.

Donegal 0-11
Tyrone 1-12

Donegal scorers: Murphy 0-7 (0-6f, 0-1 45m), McBrearty 0-2 (0-2f), McFadden 0-2 (0-1f)
Tyrone scorers: Harte 1-2 (1-1f), S Cavanagh 0-4 (0-2f), S O'Neill 0-2 (0-1f), Penrose 0-1, Morgan 0-1 (1 45m), McAliskey 0-1, Mark Donnelly 0-1
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Throw ball

Quote from: ck on March 26, 2013, 11:53:05 PM
Ballybofey is a dreary enough wee ground. As a neutral I'm disappointed as its a game I would have gone to but not in Ballybofey as ill not get a ticket.

Sadly I have to agree. Had great seat in 2007 but the exit from the stand was hectic and I know many who thought the standing was too dangerous for young children. I appreciate that Donegal deserve home advantage - and I hope they win - but the ground does need improvements (or did). TV will do for me!