Author Topic: Derry Club Football & Hurling  (Read 138335 times)

JoG2

• View Profile
Re: Derry Club Football & Hurling
« Reply #855 on: February 20, 2018, 02:33:59 PM »
The surface in Celtic park is no longer the best in Derry. It resembled a bog in places yesterday. A fine total of 570 paid in,570. When are we going to learn. On a positive note at least we won. A fine start and a good finish but we were poor in between. But I could see signs of improvement

Interesting comment. . . which pitch in Derry do you think would have been better than Celtic Park yesterday?

Any highlights I saw of matches over the weekend the pitches were all bogs all over the place!

Our new pitch is in class condition but wouldn't be suitable for a county match wrt spectators. Loup pitch is the same, great condition but couldn't host a county match. It's a shame we don't alternate the county games between celtic park and venues in south derry like glen, ballinascreen or bellaghy. I would expect a couple of thousand at least at any of those venues which would make for a good atmosphere and the players would certainly enjoy it a lot more. I would advocate 2 games in north derry and 2 in south derry for future league campaigns.

Good post. If more county games (not all) were played in south derry and bigger crowds attended then it might help to put a bit of pride back in the Jersey.

There will be far more that 550 people in Bellaghy this Sunday for St Pats vs St Mary's in the MacRory cup.

Bad times when a school game is getting more support than the county team.

you're comparing apples and oranges there and has zero relevance to the topic at hand

Re the venue for the county matches, I can see both sides of the argument. Owenbeg is slap bang in the middle of the county, and if I mind rightly, 2 out of the 3 home matches would have been played there only for the pitch being sorted. Geographically this should be ideal for all. A good few of the qualifying matches have also been played at Owenbeg in front of fairly paltry numbers. Now if the Dungiven venue is out of action, I'd have no problem bringing the mountain to Mohammad and having league games played in Glen / 'Screen.
The bottom line is we've a very small number of core supporters , bar maybe Antrim (not sure what numbers watch them these days tbh) the rest of the counties in Ulster's core support dwarfs Derry's.
Take the last 2 away games (championship / league) in Castlebar and Longford, the number wouldn't total 100 between both games. But something has to be done as there's serious apathy towards the county team at the minute. If that means having only championship in CP and the vast majority of league / qualifiers in Owenbeg, or Glen or 'Screen, so be it.
But it's a 2 way street, people have to get off their holes and get out and support the men busting themselves for the county and not just show up for the odd big day in Clones or CP.

Speaking of apples and oranges. you compared Emmett Bradley to Anthony Tohill on here after a league game vs Offaly. Give it a rest

Insightful

braveheart

• View Profile
« Reply #856 on: February 20, 2018, 03:31:55 PM »
The surface in Celtic park is no longer the best in Derry. It resembled a bog in places yesterday. A fine total of 570 paid in,570. When are we going to learn. On a positive note at least we won. A fine start and a good finish but we were poor in between. But I could see signs of improvement

Interesting comment. . . which pitch in Derry do you think would have been better than Celtic Park yesterday?

Any highlights I saw of matches over the weekend the pitches were all bogs all over the place!
Supposedly,there was a school game played on Celtic park on the Saturday and then they played the Hurling before the Derry v Offaly game. That was silly at best. The pitch surface was terrible. My point is and always will be,if the pitch in Celtic park is like it was yesterday then why take the matches there as no-one wants to travel. Derry,as a team would gain an advantage by playing in frount of a bigger crowd at a South Derry venue. 570 people attended that Double header yesterday,that number is pathetic. And it isn't going to change for the foreseeable future whilst the matches are played at Celtic park.
The matches are going to be at Celtic Park for the foreseeable future though. Maybe it's the attitude of the South Derry 'supporters' that needs to change?
Given there were 550 at the match i think the North Derry (including a City with over 100k people) supporters attitude needs to change especially when its only 10 mins away from them.
How many clubs in North Derry are 10 mins away? Coleraine, Limavady, Magilligan, Ballerin, Glenullin, Drumsurn, Dungiven, Banagher, Craigbane, Foreglen, Drum, Claudy, Faughanvale, Glack - none of them would get to Celtic Park in 10 mins. 
I'm from North Derry and would be quicker getting to Glen and just as quick getting to Screen so that's not my issue. It's just that there are going to be matches at Celtic Park for the foreseeable future.
I am concerned with there being a North/South Derry divide. If we are to achieve anything it needs to be as one whole county and we need to encourage Gaelic games to be thriving in Derry City.
This whole ' we need more games here because we're bigger and better' sounds like a spoilt child not getting what they want. I could take it if I thought it was a bit of craic but some people post and speak seriously like this.
Your point stands though, the whole county can't be bothered going to see the team at the moment. The low attendance at the weekend reflects the position of the county team at present at the bottom of Division 3 and the bad day probably didn't help. Hopefully improved performances will increase the appetite for people to go to the games. In reality it shouldn't matter where in the county the game is we should be able to go and support. It seems to be a bigger issue here for some reason than in other counties. Someone mentioned having say 2 home league games at Celtic Park and 2 in South Derry and I don't think that's a bad idea, Monaghan have spread out their home games to good effect so far.
Gaelic games thriving in Derry? How many years have we sent coaches to Derry City?? What has the benefit been thus far?? Derry City is a soccer environment. Any lad worth his salt in Derry only aspires to play professional soccer no matter how terrible he is and Gaelic games comes well down the list-FACT. Toby is correct,there will be a crowd of more than 1000 in bellaghy on Sunday for 1 schools match. 570 in Celtic park last Sunday for a double header-it doesn't take much working out
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 03:36:38 PM by braveheart »

theticklemister

• '...... said yer man from the Daily Mail.'
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: February 20, 2018, 04:38:09 PM »

Supposedly,there was a school game played on Celtic park on the Saturday and then they played the Hurling before the Derry v Offaly game. That was silly at best. The pitch surface was terrible. My point is and always will be,if the pitch in Celtic park is like it was yesterday then why take the matches there as no-one wants to travel. Derry,as a team would gain an advantage by playing in frount of a bigger crowd at a South Derry venue. 570 people attended that Double header yesterday,that number is pathetic. And it isn't going to change for the foreseeable future whilst the matches are played at Celtic park.
The matches are going to be at Celtic Park for the foreseeable future though. Maybe it's the attitude of the South Derry 'supporters' that needs to change?
Given there were 550 at the match i think the North Derry (including a City with over 100k people) supporters attitude needs to change especially when its only 10 mins away from them.
How many clubs in North Derry are 10 mins away? Coleraine, Limavady, Magilligan, Ballerin, Glenullin, Drumsurn, Dungiven, Banagher, Craigbane, Foreglen, Drum, Claudy, Faughanvale, Glack - none of them would get to Celtic Park in 10 mins. 
I'm from North Derry and would be quicker getting to Glen and just as quick getting to Screen so that's not my issue. It's just that there are going to be matches at Celtic Park for the foreseeable future.
I am concerned with there being a North/South Derry divide. If we are to achieve anything it needs to be as one whole county and we need to encourage Gaelic games to be thriving in Derry City.
This whole ' we need more games here because we're bigger and better' sounds like a spoilt child not getting what they want. I could take it if I thought it was a bit of craic but some people post and speak seriously like this.
Your point stands though, the whole county can't be bothered going to see the team at the moment. The low attendance at the weekend reflects the position of the county team at present at the bottom of Division 3 and the bad day probably didn't help. Hopefully improved performances will increase the appetite for people to go to the games. In reality it shouldn't matter where in the county the game is we should be able to go and support. It seems to be a bigger issue here for some reason than in other counties. Someone mentioned having say 2 home league games at Celtic Park and 2 in South Derry and I don't think that's a bad idea, Monaghan have spread out their home games to good effect so far.
Gaelic games thriving in Derry? How many years have we sent coaches to Derry City?? What has the benefit been thus far?? Derry City is a soccer environment. Any lad worth his salt in Derry only aspires to play professional soccer no matter how terrible he is and Gaelic games comes well down the list-FACT. Toby is correct,there will be a crowd of more than 1000 in bellaghy on Sunday for 1 schools match. 570 in Celtic park last Sunday for a double header-it doesn't take much working out

f**k it. Bring back the North/South Derry League.

braveheart

• View Profile
« Reply #858 on: February 20, 2018, 05:09:24 PM »

There already is North/South Derry leagues. 1 is called Senior Football,the other is called Junior Football. Just because you're in Liverpool is no excuse for not knowing this.

In hiding

• View Profile
« Reply #859 on: February 20, 2018, 05:14:24 PM »
And I thought the Tyrone board was bad  :o

oakleaflad

• View Profile
« Reply #860 on: February 20, 2018, 05:22:34 PM »

There have been a number of players from Derry City on Derry underage panels this past few years, both from Steelstwon and Doire Colmcille at least off the top of my head. Developing these players can only help the county as a whole. Why would you not encourage this?
Also, it does take a lot of working out, at least for me. Why would 1000 people want to go watch a schools match instead of their senior county team? Strange to me that anyone outside of parents and possibly the county minor management would want to go to that game but couldn't be bothered going to see the senior team?

theticklemister

• '...... said yer man from the Daily Mail.'
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: February 20, 2018, 05:40:09 PM »

There already is North/South Derry leagues. 1 is called Senior Football,the other is called Junior Football. Just because you're in Liverpool is no excuse for not knowing this.

Iíll meet you at the top of Glenshane Braveheart at high noon on Saturday- you bring your best 15 warriors from the south and Iíll bring the 15 best from the north and we will do battle.

restorepride

• View Profile
« Reply #862 on: February 20, 2018, 08:27:45 PM »

Iíll meet you at the top of Glenshane Braveheart at high noon on Saturday- you bring your best 15 warriors from the south and Iíll bring the 15 best from the north and we will do battle.
No point. The whole of Swatagh will be gone to watch the Slaughtneil game!

tbrick18

• View Profile
« Reply #863 on: February 20, 2018, 09:37:47 PM »
Venue aside, (I hate CP by the way, not because of where its at, but because facilities and parking are sh*te), when Derry are doing well, the support swells.
The core support as people talk about, are football people. People who want to see the best players in a county from different clubs pull on the county jersey and make a statement that, as a county, this is the best we have to offer and we'll put it up to anyone.
Its parochial, clannish and about earning respect from the other competing counties. You dont have to win, you just have to compete and give a good account of yourself. By doing that, the county fills with pride and the support grows and more of the better players want to play as they see a chance of success, which makes the managers job easier and the upward cycle can continue.

The problem as I see it, is that at county level we do not have the best the clubs have to offer. We are playing sh*te football, burning through managers like there's a never ending supply, are falling down the rankings and as a result losing the respect of our peers and of the football people within the county. There is no faith in the ability of the county board and when you put all these things together it actually starts to breed contempt towards the county setup. It's morale sapping for supporters to see this happening, even more so for players i'm sure. Especially when we had that fleeting visit to the top table, it feels all the worse.

I think this is where we are now. There is no pride in the county so supporters wont go to games as they think we are not going to put in a performance and probably get beat.

This, in my mind cannot be fixed easily. It will have to be small steps.
Confidence in the county board needs to be restored.
We need to make it as easy as possible for the football people to see games, should this mean move games closer to south derry I'm all for it. No-one is going to travel 30-40 miles to watch a sh*te match. They'll go and watch the mcrory game as the football will be good. Not because its in a south derry venue, but I'd guess the fact it is in south derry will mean more neutrals attend.
Improving the standard of football, by ensuring the best players are on the panel will encourage the support to come out. The support can encourage the players, which in turn can help improve the football more. And so the cycle continues.
When we are playing better football, the pride will return and people will be more likely to travel the 30-40 miles to CP to watch a match (even if they do have to walk through a cloud of cigarette smoke to go to the toilet).

All this bickering of North vs South, just a load of infighting balls that perpetuates the problem.

Rant over for now.

TheImpactCode

• View Profile
« Reply #864 on: February 20, 2018, 09:55:04 PM »
Derry need a total shake from top of bottom.  What other county would get rid of their manager after winning the All-Ireland.  Eamon Coleman was the only man to ever unite all the factions for the greater good.

However way he was able to do it, it had boys pulling on the jersey that would go through a wall for the man beside him.

Until this type of person is appointed to the county board to pull all the bickering bullsh*tters together, Derry will never get any better.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 11:13:55 PM by TheImpactCode »

braveheart

• View Profile
« Reply #865 on: February 20, 2018, 10:25:15 PM »
Derry need a total shake from top of bottom.  What other county would get rid of their manager after winning the All-Ireland.  Eamon Coleman was the only man to every unite all the factions for the greater good.

However way he was able to do it, it had boys pulling on the jersey that would go through a wall for the man beside him.

Until this type of person is appointed to the county board to pull all the bickering bullsh*tters together, Derry will never get any better.
From top to bottom. Yes. This is very true. And this will take time. In Slaughtneil (as I bite my lip) Derry have 1 of the best club teams in Ireland. In club football,I believe,Derry club football is as good as any county. Our biggest problem over the years has been our underage teams. Between the u21s and minor our record had been terrible. Damian changed that,for that we must give him credit. Unfortunately for him,he has taken the senior job 2/3 years too early. We have a breed of young footballers coming through which makes me optimistic but it will be a few years before they'll be good enough at senior level. School teams performance are positive and the minor record improving but I do worry about that "Campbell" appointment at u17 level,that is a backward step which we don't need.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 11:44:19 PM by braveheart »

TheImpactCode

• View Profile
« Reply #866 on: February 20, 2018, 11:17:48 PM »
I take it you mean Paddy Campbell at U17 level.  A Donegal man and a Tyrone at the centre of our youth development is a strange angle.  What is the story there? Are they McIvor's appointments or was it something that the county board brought in.

Aye the school teams are going very well but I saw the St Mary's Magherafelt team listed somewhere and there are a lot of Creggan and Portglenone lads on it.  And lads from Tyrone, so maybe not a true reflection on the county.

Newbridge Exile

• View Profile
« Reply #867 on: February 20, 2018, 11:29:04 PM »
I take it you mean Paddy Campbell at U17 level.  A Donegal man and a Tyrone at the centre of our youth development is a strange angle.  What is the story there? Are they McIvor's appointments or was it something that the county board brought in.

Aye the school teams are going very well but I saw the St Mary's Magherafelt team listed somewhere and there are a lot of Creggan and Portglenone lads on it.  And lads from Tyrone, so maybe not a true reflection on the county.
I think of the starting six forwards for the convent in the quarter final there was only one from Derry

Estimator

• St. Colm's Ballinascreen
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: February 20, 2018, 11:39:02 PM »

I think of the starting six forwards for the convent in the quarter final there was only one from Derry
3 from Creggan
1 from Ardboe
1 from Kildress
1 from Magherafelt
Ulster League Champions 2009