UK General Election 2017

Started by Eamonnca1, April 18, 2017, 07:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on June 26, 2017, 01:45:42 PM
Have the dinosaurs played well here?

/Jim.

Teresa May was heard to say today "Hopefully that is the end of it. You know if you keep feeding crocodiles..."
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Applesisapples

The DUP need Stormont more than SF. If salaries are stopped it will hurt the DUP more.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Applesisapples on June 27, 2017, 10:06:18 AM
The DUP need Stormont more than SF. If salaries are stopped it will hurt the DUP more.

Hard to see why other than they have one seat more.

Salaries should have been earned all along by having the assembly sit without an executive to scrutinise the work of the civil servants.  otherwise salaries should end with the election and not start again until the executive is up and running.

yellowcard

When do salaries get stopped if the executive doesn't get back up running? Somewhat ludicrously, as I understand it they are still getting paid.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on June 27, 2017, 11:01:49 AM

Salaries should have been earned all along by having the assembly sit without an executive to scrutinise the work of the civil servants.  otherwise salaries should end with the election and not start again until the executive is up and running.
Shinner MLA's won't whine when the money stops, DUPers will.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: yellowcard on June 27, 2017, 12:12:58 PM

When do salaries get stopped if the executive doesn't get back up running? Somewhat ludicrously, as I understand it they are still getting paid.

Simple answer is they don't unless UK turns off tap. So we pay for 90 MLAs elected and everyone who their seats in the last election!

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Applesisapples on June 27, 2017, 02:08:44 PM

Is that because they will still be compensated?

yellowcard

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on June 27, 2017, 03:07:07 PM

Simple answer is they don't unless UK turns off tap. So we pay for 90 MLAs elected and everyone who their seats in the last election!

So not alone are the MLA's who are currently inactive getting paid their full salaries, but we are also paying for MLA's who carried out their duties before March 2017 and who were voted out. Which presumably, would total in excess of 30 MLA's (certainly at least 18 since the total number was reduced) no longer with that title. Which means by that logice that those MLA's who were not returned in the last Stormont election would actually benefit by not getting the institutions in Stormont up and running. Totally bizarre, that surely can't be right?

Applesisapples

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on June 27, 2017, 03:10:57 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on June 27, 2017, 02:08:44 PM

Is that because they will still be compensated?
I don't know but suspect so.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: yellowcard on June 27, 2017, 03:25:20 PM
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on June 27, 2017, 03:07:07 PM

So not alone are the MLA's who are currently inactive getting paid their full salaries, but we are also paying for MLA's who carried out their duties before March 2017 and who were voted out. Which presumably, would total in excess of 30 MLA's (certainly at least 18 since the total number was reduced) no longer with that title. Which means by that logice that those MLA's who were not returned in the last Stormont election would actually benefit by not getting the institutions in Stormont up and running. Totally bizarre, that surely can't be right?

CORRECTION - mistake on my behalf.
It is members of assembly commission who continue to be paid at their higher rate whether returned or not. This includes A Attwood who gets £55K pa until replaced. The speaker Robin Newton is on £61K and 3 other returned MLAs are on £55K instead of the standard £49K.

johnneycool

DUP votes needed to block Corbyns amendment to block the public service funding cuts and public service pay cap!!

The shape of things to come.

yellowcard

Quote from: johnneycool on June 29, 2017, 08:47:04 AM
DUP votes needed to block Corbyns amendment to block the public service funding cuts and public service pay cap!!

Not unexpected after they signed up for austerity but it just shows how irrelevant they are when it comes to having any real influence. Preaching one thing and doing another. 

BennyHarp

Quote from: yellowcard on June 29, 2017, 09:04:31 AM

Not unexpected after they signed up for austerity but it just shows how irrelevant they are when it comes to having any real influence. Preaching one thing and doing another.

I disagree, Corbyn knew he would lose this vote but last week the Torys were suggesting that they were thinking of relaxing the freeze on public sector pay, clearly an attempt to appease public opinion. The Labour amendment, forcing them to vote on it, shows their true colours and highlights exactly were the Conservatives stand. I think this is a decent move by Labour - its all about chipping away at the Conservative bullsh*t.

*Edit* I've just realised you meant the DUP and not Labour!
That was never a square ball!!

Applesisapples

Quote from: BennyHarp on June 29, 2017, 09:18:39 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on June 29, 2017, 09:04:31 AM

I disagree, Corbyn knew he would lose this vote but last week the Torys were suggesting that they were thinking of relaxing the freeze on public sector pay, clearly an attempt to appease public opinion. The Labour amendment, forcing them to vote on it, shows their true colours and highlights exactly were the Conservatives stand. I think this is a decent move by Labour - its all about chipping away at the Conservative bullsh*t.
Exactly designed to put the Con/DUP alliance in a bad light with the public, worked a treat.