Aidan McAnespie 25th Anniversary

Started by Nally Stand, February 12, 2013, 11:56:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nally Stand

I'm sure many's a poster on the board would have some stories to tell from going through the infamous checkpoint at Aughnacloy. In my own experience, it was always the most hostile checkpoint to have to cross and often involved being directed into the large "shed" and locked inside for long spells, often in the dark, and receiving some fairly horrible abuse and threats. Aidan McAnespie recieved many threats to his life as he passed regularly through the checkpoint. His won father once reported a British soldier at the checkpoint telling him "I've a bullet here in the gun for your son Aidan". Sadly, just over a year later, the British army acted upon these repeated threats when they shot him dead as he walked towards his club grounds for a match one Sunday.
February 21st will mark the 25th Anniversary of his murder and I see there are a number of events being held to mark the occasion so I just though I'd spread the word here for anyone interested. On that day in 1988, Aghaloo were due to play Killeeshil. Players from those clubs from that era, with others, will compete for the Aidan McAnespie Trophy on Saturday 23rd February at 4.00pm. While on the Thursday night before that (21st Feb) there will see a candlelit vigil with Peter Canavan as main speaker.

"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

theticklemister

EC Unique

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Nally Stand on February 12, 2013, 11:56:05 AM
I'm sure many's a poster on the board would have some stories to tell from going through the infamous checkpoint at Aughnacloy. In my own experience, it was always the most hostile checkpoint to have to cross and often involved being directed into the large "shed" and locked inside for long spells, often in the dark, and receiving some fairly horrible abuse and threats. Aidan McAnespie recieved many threats to his life as he passed regularly through the checkpoint. His won father once reported a British soldier at the checkpoint telling him "I've a bullet here in the gun for your son Aidan". Sadly, just over a year later, the British army acted upon these repeated threats when they shot him dead as he walked towards his club grounds for a match one Sunday.
February 21st will mark the 25th Anniversary of his murder and I see there are a number of events being held to mark the occasion so I just though I'd spread the word here for anyone interested. On that day in 1988, Aghaloo were due to play Killeeshil. Players from those clubs from that era, with others, will compete for the Aidan McAnespie Trophy on Saturday 23rd February at 4.00pm. While on the Thursday night before that (21st Feb) there will see a candlelit vigil with Peter Canavan as main speaker.

Excuse my ignorance, I remember the incident really well at the time but didn't realise he was known to the army. Was Aidan in the RA
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

theticklemister

He use to get stopped all the time crossing the border to the football pitch.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 12, 2013, 12:47:48 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on February 12, 2013, 11:56:05 AM

Excuse my ignorance, I remember the incident really well at the time but didn't realise he was known to the army. Was Aidan in the RA

Nope.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Aerlik

Milltown, you only had to be nationalist to be harassed in many areas of the six counties.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

BennyCake

As tough as it was seeing Tyrone win Sam (especially after beating Armagh), bringing Sam to Aidan's memorial, was always a nice touch. Fair play to all concerned with the Tyrone team, for doing so.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Aerlik on February 12, 2013, 01:08:28 PM
Milltown, you only had to be nationalist to be harassed in many areas of the six counties.

I've walked through thousands of checkpoints growing up, house searched many times, Brits even smashed down my aunts door (two doors from my own house) and shot cousin in the back so I think I have a fair idea of being harassed for being a nationalist. 

There is nothing in my post to suggest anything other than what I asked
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: armaghniac on February 12, 2013, 02:55:52 PM
Quoteso I think I have a fair idea of being harassed for being a nationalist. 

if only the British had better intelligence, they could have harassed a real nationalist and saved you the trouble.

In reference to another thread #stalker

At no point have I said I'm not a nationlist I've just said convince people that being in a UI is better off? Even the Galway lads were calling Antrim lads orange cnuts at the weekend!!

You country lads are wile touchy, the intelligence they got from informants was pretty crap to be fair.

EC Unique

Lads. Lets not let this thread decend into a bickering session. 

Milltown Row2

Quote from: EC Unique on February 12, 2013, 03:31:19 PM

+1

How did this end up with the Brit shooting Aidan, I know he claimed he was cleaning his gun at the time, charges were brought against him, how did that pan out and appeals go? Again I remember the incident but I'm hazy on the aftermath

trileacman

Quote from: armaghniac on February 12, 2013, 02:55:52 PM
Quoteso I think I have a fair idea of being harassed for being a nationalist. 

if only the British had better intelligence, they could have harassed a real nationalist and saved you the trouble.

On a thread dedicated to the memory of the dead you've made a real attempt to be snide and sneaky even when unprovoked. You're the opposite to what it means to be a decent man.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

trileacman

That opening post leaves out a very important piece of information, Aidan was unarmed, not a member of any paramilitary organisation and he was shot in the back having already passed through the checkpoint.

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 12, 2013, 03:40:24 PM
Quote from: EC Unique on February 12, 2013, 03:31:19 PM
How did this end up with the Brit shooting Aidan, I know he claimed he was cleaning his gun at the time, charges were brought against him, how did that pan out and appeals go? Again I remember the incident but I'm hazy on the aftermath

I don't know much but I think he got off clean, his gun was discharged and struck the road several metres behind Aidan and a bullet ricocheted up into Aidan's back.  "The army said a heavy machine gun slipped in Holden's wet hands after it had been cleaned and went off by accident. Holden was charged with manslaughter, but the charge was later dropped." According to the times.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

ballinaman

Quote from: BennyCake on February 12, 2013, 01:11:21 PM
bringing Sam to Aidan's memorial, was always a nice touch. Fair play to all concerned with the Tyrone team, for doing so.
+1