FBD 2024

Started by Farrandeelin, November 08, 2012, 05:43:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blowitupref

Quote from: sligoman2 on January 20, 2016, 05:29:52 PM
Quote from: Mano on January 20, 2016, 10:58:34 AM
Quote from: sligoman2 on January 18, 2016, 07:12:21 PM
Christ we're shocking so far.  Don't know most of the team that played yesterday so I don't think we were going flat out for a win.

Need to wake up, can't street the league off with 3 losses on the trot like last year.

David Kelly and Ross Donovan have quit the county panel. Marren is out for 3 months, Mark Brehony is also injured. Niall Murphy has scored the majority of our scores from midfield. We cannot afford to be without 4 of our top players including our top scorers. We will be lucky to avoid division 4 this year.
Why did kelly and Donovan quit?  Is there unrest in the camp?
Staying up would be as much as we can expect with those players missing.
What's the story with coen?

A bit about Kelly,Donovan at the bottom of this article.

http://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/colm-cooper-set-for-kerry-return-to-training-ahead-of-dubs-game-34380443.html

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

galwayman

Quote from: Cunny Funt on January 20, 2016, 03:10:09 PM
2016 marks the 5th year since Galway were relegated from div one which is too long for a county of Galways size,history and tradition to be away from.

If a lesser county had the pick of two recent U21 All Ireland winning teams and had club side like Corofin they would be very optimistic. If Galway repeat last year's form of not gaining promotion and not reaching the All Ireland quarter final then I think it will be clear Kevin Walsh is not the right manager to take them forward.
I would go to a lot of Galway football matches and though it pains me to say this I really just think that the talent is not there in the county at the moment. Now I know people can point to 2 recent All Ireland u21 wins in 2011 and 2013 and there are certainly some good players who have come from those teams,but they would form the basis of a successful senior team only if they were supplementing quality that was already there. In Galway that is not really the case.
The main players for the senior team now I suppose are players from those 2 u21 teams yet outside of Paul Conroy and Gary Sice the quality is not there in the more experienced players.
The reality is we have not improved since Mulholland walked but we don't have the talent to compete with the top 4 or 5 teams in the country right now.

Mano

More bad news the Sligo GAA panel. Johnny has been a great servant for Sligo GAA for the last 10/15. But your health and wellbeing comes before GAA and representing your county - its time to bow out at this stage.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/sligo-gaa-star-johnny-martyn-recovering-in-hospital-after-suspected-stroke-34383328.html

Maroon Manc

Quote from: galwayman on January 20, 2016, 05:54:21 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on January 20, 2016, 03:10:09 PM
2016 marks the 5th year since Galway were relegated from div one which is too long for a county of Galways size,history and tradition to be away from.

If a lesser county had the pick of two recent U21 All Ireland winning teams and had club side like Corofin they would be very optimistic. If Galway repeat last year's form of not gaining promotion and not reaching the All Ireland quarter final then I think it will be clear Kevin Walsh is not the right manager to take them forward.
I would go to a lot of Galway football matches and though it pains me to say this I really just think that the talent is not there in the county at the moment. Now I know people can point to 2 recent All Ireland u21 wins in 2011 and 2013 and there are certainly some good players who have come from those teams,but they would form the basis of a successful senior team only if they were supplementing quality that was already there. In Galway that is not really the case.
The main players for the senior team now I suppose are players from those 2 u21 teams yet outside of Paul Conroy and Gary Sice the quality is not there in the more experienced players.
The reality is we have not improved since Mulholland walked but we don't have the talent to compete with the top 4 or 5 teams in the country right now.

In fairness I believe we made progress last year, physically we were more a match for Mayo last year and that continued with good results against Armagh & Derry; I doubt under Mulholland we'd have gone to Armagh and got a result. We didn't concede too many goals in the championship last year which had been a huge problem under Mulholland, it was only the last 10 minutes against Donegal where we were chasing the game when we were opened up. There was a certain naivety that was there under Mulholland which wasn't there last year. You're right that we're lacking a bit of experienced quality around the squad and even Conroy had a very poor year last year.

It could take years for Galway to realistically challenge and possibly this won't happen anyway with the budget Kevin Walsh has to work with.

galwayman

I take your point on the win up in Armagh (I was there myself a good day to be a Galway football fan) in that we probably would not have won that under Mulholland.
Maybe so I'm not sure about that either.
But ultimately we were taken apart in the second half by a limited Donegal team.I mean we lost the game by 10 points.
The previous year we lost to the eventual AI champs in the quarter final by 7 points.
We didn't disimprove in 2015 but I'm really not sure we improved or made any real progress either.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Mano on January 21, 2016, 09:28:57 AM
More bad news the Sligo GAA panel. Johnny has been a great servant for Sligo GAA for the last 10/15. But your health and wellbeing comes before GAA and representing your county - its time to bow out at this stage.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/sligo-gaa-star-johnny-martyn-recovering-in-hospital-after-suspected-stroke-34383328.html

Fiercely dedicated and a super footballer. Please God he makes a full recovery and has a long and healthy life. Owes Sligo or St Marys nothing.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

sligoman2

Best wishes to Johny
Hope he makes a full recovery.  Very brave man and an inspiration
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Maroon Manc on January 22, 2016, 10:29:51 AM
Update on some of our injury problems, promotion not looking likely at all.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/walsh-voices-concern-over-tribesmens-rising-injury-list-34386407.html

Very little chance of promotion I'd say. Practically 8 or 9 first choice players from last year will miss most if not all of the league campaign. Staying up I'd say will be the bigger concern.

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Cunny Funt

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on January 22, 2016, 01:10:42 PM

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/walsh-voices-concern-over-tribesmens-rising-injury-list-34386407.html

Very little chance of promotion I'd say. Practically 8 or 9 first choice players from last year will miss most if not all of the league campaign. Staying up I'd say will be the bigger concern.

With their best days behind them I think it's time Galway start looking to replace Bradshaw,Hanley. Good news to have Shane Walsh back soon he is one of the best young footballers around when in top form.

Syferus

Quote from: Cunny Funt on January 22, 2016, 03:45:17 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on January 22, 2016, 01:10:42 PM

With their best days behind them I think it's time Galway start looking to replace Bradshaw,Hanley. Good news to have Shane Walsh back soon he is one of the best young footballers around when in top form.

..who'd only been starting in spot duty even before last year's tragedy. Ian Burke was to my eyes the most complete of the Walsh-Burke-Varley inside line at U21 yet he's no where to be seen under Walsh.

illdecide

Not to wind anyone up but i think Div 2 will be dominated by Ulster teams...Think Meath & Laois will struggle. Tyrone should win the Div and i think Derry can be right there with them. My predications on how they will finish are...

1) Tyrone
2) Derry
3) Armagh
4) Galway
5) Fermanagh
6) Cavan
7) Meath
8) Laois

I'm not over confident of where i placed Armagh as they well could finish bottom...lol. All will depend on Armagh's first 3 games as they're the ones they should be winning.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch