Holidays

Started by Oakleafer93, June 03, 2009, 01:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rois

Where are you MR?

Milltown Row2

Malaga, hotel Miramar... lovely spot but Malaga for food is amazing.. great city so far
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rois

Oh yes, you said that. My friend and her husband arrived there today, must check what hotel 😁

grounded

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 15, 2022, 08:55:18 AM
Quote from: grounded on July 14, 2022, 08:22:22 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 13, 2022, 02:37:27 PM
Off to Malaga for 5 nights on Monday, well I hope to be if airport is grand!! Hearing Old town is a great spot to be for Tapas bars and the like, any other things recommend in Malaga to do? Other than relaxing and sampling the refreshments?

Was there for 3 days a few years ago, really enjoyed it. A few highlights were the Alcazaba up on the hill. Bit of a hike to get there but beautiful. The amphitheatre, although when we were there they were renovating it (it should definitely be completed by now! They held open air concerts/shows in the evening.
         The plaza del torros, loads of little tapas bars in and around that area and obviously the ring itself.
           The Picasso museum was ok.
Lots to see/do for a few days.
        Word of warning a few dodgy areas around the bull ring that are notorious for pick pocketing/mugging so take care/go in a group.

Thanks for that, looking to take her up that hill, probably do it myself some morning before she's up!! Think we are staying not to far from the bull ring so that should be on the list!

Out of pure nosieness, How did you get on in Malaga?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: grounded on August 02, 2022, 01:35:07 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 15, 2022, 08:55:18 AM
Quote from: grounded on July 14, 2022, 08:22:22 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 13, 2022, 02:37:27 PM
Off to Malaga for 5 nights on Monday, well I hope to be if airport is grand!! Hearing Old town is a great spot to be for Tapas bars and the like, any other things recommend in Malaga to do? Other than relaxing and sampling the refreshments?

Was there for 3 days a few years ago, really enjoyed it. A few highlights were the Alcazaba up on the hill. Bit of a hike to get there but beautiful. The amphitheatre, although when we were there they were renovating it (it should definitely be completed by now! They held open air concerts/shows in the evening.
         The plaza del torros, loads of little tapas bars in and around that area and obviously the ring itself.
           The Picasso museum was ok.
Lots to see/do for a few days.
        Word of warning a few dodgy areas around the bull ring that are notorious for pick pocketing/mugging so take care/go in a group.

Thanks for that, looking to take her up that hill, probably do it myself some morning before she's up!! Think we are staying not to far from the bull ring so that should be on the list!

Out of pure nosieness, How did you get on in Malaga?

Fantastic city break, mixture of city/shopping/food/beach and chilling .. to put it into context, the city goes back to 700 BC i think, its a seriously old city with a big moorish backdrop, plenty to see within walking distance and a great place to chill out and watch people, weather was 30 degrees so hot but not as hot as some places where during that period, the hotel was brilliant, to be fair we never had food in the place as it was way to expensive, even just to be curious.

We were a 10/15 minute walk to the old town which was very busy every night, plenty of really good Tapas places that were recommended to us from ones I know who were there recently, and they didn't let us down, the most expensive meal for two with plenty drinks was 45 euro, our hotel was doing steak on its own for 70! sides were extra lol

Would recommend it to anyone and will head back, did a few runs to help with the food drink intake  :D and lazed around at the pool in the afternoon

There are a lot of hotels a lot closer to the Old town, think the AC hotel Marroit and another one I seen that was right inside that part was the Palacio Solecio it looked nice, wouldn't think it has a pool, not sure.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

gerrykeegan

I'm heading from Carlingford to Blacklion next week. Google maps suggesting route staying in the south n53 then a509. Alternatively a28 A5 A4 all in the North. No real difference in distance. Is the second option a good road?
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

Rois

Second option road is grand, but you have Enniskillen to get through, which can slow you up a bit depending on when you'd be going through. The Enniskillen to Blacklion road is twisty but a main A road so absolutely fine.

armaghniac

Quote from: gerrykeegan on August 03, 2022, 07:44:28 AM
I'm heading from Carlingford to Blacklion next week. Google maps suggesting route staying in the south n53 then a509. Alternatively a28 A5 A4 all in the North. No real difference in distance. Is the second option a good road?

Newry-Armagh is an excellent road. Armagh Ballygawley is mixed. from there you are on the main road to Enniskillen which is mostly good. More main road driving this way, but you have to pass through Newry, Armagh, Enniskillen and some smaller places as well.
The other way you have a Monaghan-Rosslea-Lisnaskea which is a good country road but not a trunk route. Likewise from Lisnaskea, the route is scenic though and hardly likely to be congested, unless you end up behind a tractor.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

thewobbler

Unless there's a match or event on in Monaghan then the Monaghan - Lisnaskea route will be quicker. The roads are good and generally quiet.

armaghniac

Quote from: thewobbler on August 03, 2022, 11:43:07 AM
Unless there's a match or event on in Monaghan then the Monaghan - Lisnaskea route will be quicker. The roads are good and generally quiet.

On an aside, it is surprising how good the "B" roads in Fermanagh are, compared to South Down or South Armagh.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

naka

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 20, 2022, 08:43:51 PM
Malaga, hotel Miramar... lovely spot but Malaga for food is amazing.. great city so far
The fish restaurant across the road is excellent MR, food in hotel also good
But have to say Malaga definitely a great city with some fabulous restaurants close to the cathedral

Taking the bride on first major august trip  since marriage ( in the 90s) normally had the month blocked out for the all Ireland
Getting old now, kids heading with their mates and just the two of us
We won't know what to talk about

seafoid

Quote from: gerrykeegan on August 03, 2022, 07:44:28 AM
Blacklion was translated from Bealach Laighin, the road to Leinster.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Tony Baloney

Belfast to Loch an Iúir via Derry City or Ballygawley>Omagh? Google maps suggests both similar duration.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: naka on August 05, 2022, 08:14:14 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 20, 2022, 08:43:51 PM
The fish restaurant across the road is excellent MR, food in hotel also good
But have to say Malaga definitely a great city with some fabulous restaurants close to the cathedral

Taking the bride on first major august trip  since marriage ( in the 90s) normally had the month blocked out for the all Ireland
Getting old now, kids heading with their mates and just the two of us
We won't know what to talk about

Yes fish place was great... though was booked solid when we headed across so had some beers instead !!
We'd cocktails every night in the rooftop terrace at the hotel..

As you say old great. Our kids all were in their own hols so we were in the same boat, eating and drinking sorted out the awkward conversations  ;D

Rois

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 05, 2022, 09:39:44 PM
Belfast to Loch an Iúir via Derry City or Ballygawley>Omagh? Google maps suggests both similar duration.
Aw have you a student in the house having the time of their life down there?!
Letterkenny via Derry would be better road for longer IMO.