Holidays

Started by Oakleafer93, June 03, 2009, 01:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omaghjoe

Prague - Beautiful and lots of great cheap beer
Seville - Again beautiful with better weather but shitty cheap beer but free/cheap food

Paris is great too but pricey

BennyCake

Anyone know what the minimum cost of a camper van hire would be in Ireland? Not a big brute, just a small one to sleep 4 or less?

armaghniac

Quote from: oakleaflad on June 14, 2016, 07:24:28 PM
Thinking of booking a weekend away for myself and the other half. We would usually just book these in Ireland so wouldn't be overly well travelled. Any recommendations for a nice city to visit on the continent?

We'd need more information. What are you after, sightseeing, weather, food, music? Do you want a place that you can see  somewhat in a weekend or a place that you only have time for the highlights (Rome wasn't seen in a day).  Is cost important?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

JoG2

Quote from: BennyCake on June 14, 2016, 09:20:06 PM
Anyone know what the minimum cost of a camper van hire would be in Ireland? Not a big brute, just a small one to sleep 4 or less?

I've looked into this in the past,  you're talking a grand a week or thereabouts.(4 berth Ford or similar)  This will include all extras and a couple of named drivers insurance wise.  Add derv on top,  campsite fees,  and if you're going to the continent,  ferry prices,  it's frigging dear!

BennyCake

Quote from: JoG2 on June 14, 2016, 10:35:19 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on June 14, 2016, 09:20:06 PM

I've looked into this in the past,  you're talking a grand a week or thereabouts.(4 berth Ford or similar)  This will include all extras and a couple of named drivers insurance wise.  Add derv on top,  campsite fees,  and if you're going to the continent,  ferry prices,  it's frigging dear!

That is friggin' dear!

Mattress in the back of the van it is then.

Boycey

Quote from: bannside on June 14, 2016, 08:18:44 PM
Rome. Best City in the world.

Love Rome, been on 4 different occasions but I certainly wouldn't recommend it at this time of year. It'll be 40+ degrees and full to the gills..

muppet

Thinking of booking a weekend away for myself and the other half. We would usually just book these in Ireland so wouldn't be overly well travelled. Any recommendations for a nice city to visit on the continent?

Nice - but wait till after the Euros and pray for no more Air Traffic Control strikes (You can easily do a day trip to Monaco, Cannes, some of the Cote D'Azur etc. by train along the coast).
Barcelona
Prague
Lisbon is underrated and cheaper than some of the others.

Rome is a great city but Fiumicino is a shocking airport. Ciampino isn't much better. I'd include Rome in a longer trip to Italy where you fly in and out of somewhere else.
MWWSI 2017

armaghniac

Quote from: muppet on June 15, 2016, 12:03:08 AM

very true. Even Porto is good and they have a great festival next week.

GJL

Me and her head to London usually once a year for a long weekend. Loads to see and do. I've been to plenty of European Cities and I still think London one of the best.

No wides

Hard to beat Barcelona plus you have a nice beach also.

Franko

Quote from: muppet on June 15, 2016, 12:03:08 AM

Nice - but wait till after the Euros and pray for no more Air Traffic Control strikes (You can easily do a day trip to Monaco, Cannes, some of the Cote D'Azur etc. by train along the coast).
Barcelona
Prague

Rome is a great city but Fiumicino is a shocking airport. Ciampino isn't much better. I'd include Rome in a longer trip to Italy where you fly in and out of somewhere else.

Easily the worst developed world airport I've ever been in.

maddog

Bologna is a superb place for a long weekend. Lots to see, food is superb and much less expensive than Rome. Airport is very close to city as well. You can take the train across to Florence for a day trip as well. Cannot recommend highly enough.

JoG2

Quote from: maddog on June 15, 2016, 10:25:59 AM
Bologna is a superb place for a long weekend. Lots to see, food is superb and much less expensive than Rome. Airport is very close to city as well. You can take the train across to Florence for a day trip as well. Cannot recommend highly enough.

I didn't find Rome overly expensive. The Vatican and Colosseum are pretty much the only 2 things you have to pay to see. Some class wee restaurants in the old part that are cheap to eat and drink carafe's of wine in...unbelievable city. Some of the car parking is crazy .

armaghniac

Quote from: JoG2 on June 15, 2016, 10:47:08 AM
I didn't find Rome overly expensive. The Vatican and Colosseum are pretty much the only 2 things you have to pay to see. Some class wee restaurants in the old part that are cheap to eat and drink carafe's of wine in...unbelievable city. Some of the car parking is crazy .

There is a an enormous rip off factor in the vicinity of the main monuments though, entirely out of proportion with every other city in the world. You were obviously wise enough to avoid this and seek out restaurants like the above.

AZOffaly

I also love Rome, and didn't feel it was extortionate. Like JoG said, I got fed and watered there very reasonably in little ristorantes off the side street. If you go in somewhere on the Spanish Steps, or outside the Colosseum, you'll get fleeced, but then again, have you been to Killarney recently? :)

Love Rome, and one of my favourite memories is sitting with my wife, eating a very reasonably priced Calzone and drinking a nice Chianti, watching the street performers and artists in Piazza Navone as dusk set in. Lovely place.