Holidays

Started by Oakleafer93, June 03, 2009, 01:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Quote from: Rois on January 15, 2016, 08:36:59 PM
May have a spare week to go on holiday last week in Feb (rolling straight into a ski trip to France). Any suggestions for a do-able holiday for a week to get some sun (not Europe)?
Cuba was a thought but not too many flights/holidays from the UK or Ireland in Feb.

San Sebastian and the Basque country.

Rois

Quote from: Mikhailov on January 15, 2016, 09:42:17 PM
May have a spare week to go on holiday last week in Feb (rolling straight into a ski trip to France). Any suggestions for a do-able holiday for a week to get some sun (not Europe)?
Cuba was a thought but not too many flights/holidays from the UK or Ireland in Feb.

Dubai - only 7 hours away but no doubt with your travel experience you have done it loads of times !!
Have only gone through it, never really fancied it but flight time not bad.

I reckon I'd love the Basque Country, but have a feeling it would be better to leave til later in the year?

Mikhailov

Quote from: Rois on January 15, 2016, 10:29:20 PM
Quote from: Mikhailov on January 15, 2016, 09:42:17 PM

Dubai - only 7 hours away but no doubt with your travel experience you have done it loads of times !!
Have only gone through it, never really fancied it but flight time not bad.

I reckon I'd love the Basque Country, but have a feeling it would be better to leave til later in the year?

Rois, you will enjoy UAE for sure - 100%. You are a woman. Super weather, shopping, style, beaches, food, attractions. Either Dubai or Abu Dhabi are perfect for short 5-7 day break. I highly recommend if you have not been before. Everything is 5*

maggie

Planning a holiday for start of june for 2 adults and a 5 month old. Would it be better to book an apartment in terms of bottle making facilities? Not sure where to go either but somewhere thats handy enough to fly to-maybe 3/4 hrs max. Anyone any pearls of wisdom?

An Watcher

Heading to Portugal in July with an 18 month old.  Booked an air conditioned self catering apt. First foreign holiday away with the child so can't really say if it's the right way to go or not.  In the same boat as you Maggie

The Bearded One

Have been to Portugal when both my children were just turning 1 and it was great. The one thing that stood out for me was just how family friendly places are, going out of their way to see to the children. Couldn't recommend it highly enough to be honest. 3 hour flight, fairly handy on the other side in terms of transfers to Albufeira or Vilamoura.
It is what it is. Presumably.

50fiftyball

Not expecting too much response here but anyways! - Anyone been over in the US for Spring Break? any of the college top party destinations : Panama City Beach ( seems really hard to get to, fly into Atlanta & drive 4 hours??  :o ) , Fort Lauderdale/Daytona, Miami south beach, and of course, there's always Vegas! Cancun as well but not so much..
Also hearing about Puerto Vallarta Mexico, and Punta Cana, Domincan Republic

Mikhailov

Quote from: The Bearded One on February 09, 2016, 10:37:59 PM
Have been to Portugal when both my children were just turning 1 and it was great. The one thing that stood out for me was just how family friendly places are, going out of their way to see to the children. Couldn't recommend it highly enough to be honest. 3 hour flight, fairly handy on the other side in terms of transfers to Albufeira or Vilamoura.

Portugal is seriously good place to go on holidays when children are concerned. Not too hot due to atlantic breeze but still warm, plenty of child friendly resorts, easy to get around - you will have a blast.

David McKeown

Quote from: 50fiftyball on February 15, 2016, 11:05:15 AM
Not expecting too much response here but anyways! - Anyone been over in the US for Spring Break? any of the college top party destinations : Panama City Beach ( seems really hard to get to, fly into Atlanta & drive 4 hours??  :o ) , Fort Lauderdale/Daytona, Miami south beach, and of course, there's always Vegas! Cancun as well but not so much..
Also hearing about Puerto Vallarta Mexico, and Punta Cana, Domincan Republic

Went to Vegas for Spring Break 10 years ago when I was at college at Texas, busy enough with some students but not as many as I expected.  Wouldn't particularly recommend it for a Spring Break but its definitely a place to be experienced at least one.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

blewuporstuffed

Thinking of heading to Croatia for a holiday in May , The plan is to maybe start at Lake Bled in Slovenia and travel down to Dubrovnik with a few stops on the way.
Anyone recommend and must sees or places to stay etc?
Would hiring a  car or train / public transport be the best way to go?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

heffo

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on February 17, 2016, 11:40:23 AM
Thinking of heading to Croatia for a holiday in May , The plan is to maybe start at Lake Bled in Slovenia and travel down to Dubrovnik with a few stops on the way.

As far as I remember, trains aren't great on the Adriatic corridor so it'll be buses.

If you hire a car in Slovenia, check whether you need a 'vignette'/Toll pass sticker to use the motorway and cross into Croatia - you can buy them in most convenience stores. The last time I flew into Vienna and drove to Slovenia I didn't buy one and the customer I was visiting nearly had a nervous breakdown when I told him - they're very strict about it.

Roads are good and easy to navigate.

Places to see - Trieste, Split are enroute. A little past Dubrovnik are Budva and the Bay of Kotor - both are beautiful and won't be full of Russian tourists in May.

Mostar in Bosnia is not so far from Dubrovnik are worth a visit too if you have a car.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: heffo on February 17, 2016, 11:50:52 AM

As far as I remember, trains are great on the Adriatic corridor so it'll be buses.

If you hire a car in Slovenia, check whether you need a 'vignette'/Toll pass sticker to use the motorway and cross into Croatia - you can buy them in most convenience stores. The last time I flew into Vienna and drove to Slovenia I didn't buy one and the customer I was visiting nearly had a nervous breakdown when I told him - they're very strict about it.

Places to see - Trieste, Split are enroute. A little past Dubrovnik are Budva and the Bay of Kotor - both are beautiful and won't be full of Russian tourists in May.

Mostar in Bosnia is not so far from Dubrovnik are worth a visit too if you have a car.

Thanks Heffo,
I will have to look into a few of those places.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

heffo

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on February 17, 2016, 11:52:55 AM
Quote from: heffo on February 17, 2016, 11:50:52 AM

As far as I remember, trains are great on the Adriatic corridor so it'll be buses.

Thanks Heffo,
I will have to look into a few of those places.

No probs, if you want anymore detailed info just post or pm.

I was in Dubrovnik on holiday for a week last May - While I found it beautiful, it was also the most expensive place I've been in Eastern Europe (I've travelled all over with work the last five years) and I'd seen the entire old town in half a day, been to three museums and walked the old town walls. I'd suggest you spend a night or two max there, hire a car and spend time in the other places.

Gonzalo15

Miami or orlando?
Myself and my mate and 2 women are planning a 2 week holiday-10 days in either orlando or miami then 4/5 days in new york. Cant decide between miami or orlando anyone been to both? Advantanges disadvantages?

ballinaman

Quote from: Gonzalo15 on February 22, 2016, 09:38:56 PM
Miami or orlando?
Myself and my mate and 2 women are planning a 2 week holiday-10 days in either orlando or miami then 4/5 days in new york. Cant decide between miami or orlando anyone been to both? Advantanges disadvantages?
Been to both.
Orlando for sure. Much more to do. Theme parks...outlet shopping, bars along international drive.
Miami total let down, beach is nice but nothing compared to West Coast and San Diego.
Miami itself is a kip for the most part and Miami beach is very pricey for what it is.

Going to Iceland for a week at start of November. Anyone been?