Holidays

Started by Oakleafer93, June 03, 2009, 01:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimStynes

The Etape du tour amateur cycling event is also on around the 10th in Chamonix Megave I think so it could be a bad time. The Tour De france gets to that region around 17th of July I think. Would be great to watch it while I am there but would probably get divorced and would be a nightmare traffic wise!

I am not sure where I will be cycling for definitely yet but probably St Jean Maurianne area as a lot of the famous climbs are close by. I stayed in Alp D'Huez last year in a chalet and it was amazing! If we could find some of that type of accommodation it would be great and keep the cost down a little. Between flights, car rental, hotels etc it would soon add up.

Going to take a lot of planning!

heffo

Quote from: Rois on November 15, 2015, 11:26:05 PM
Yeah def hire a car for travelling in France. You could start from Geneva on the a Swiss side of Lake Geneva and spend a few days around the area, we stayed in Clarion Hotel Lavaux and you get a free train pass to go to Lausanne/ Montreux on the regional line so you can ditch the car and enjoy the wine. You could then drive around the lake to the French side.

If you go into the mountains around Chamonix, there are so many accommodation options as the place is set up for tourists. We stayed in Hotel les Aiglons because it had an outdoor pool and was in the town centre. The weather was absolutely amazing, though it lashed all week when we got married the year before! The hotel is right beside the Mont Blanc lift.  If you go there you can pay to drive through the Mont Blanc tunnel into Italy and the town of Courmayeur (sp) for another perspective.
It's an hour's drive between Chamonix and Annecy. Don't forget 14 July is Bastille Day, and the Euros might still be on.
I spent 3 summers working about 1.5 hours from Geneva in the Swiss pre-alpes which was when I first visited Annecy, the place is amazing. Where are you cycling?

Lausanne is beautiful - right on the lake. You could also drive to Strasbourg (about three hours) - it's a lovely city and you can take a boat 'cruise' around it - there is an interwining river around the city.

muppet

Quote from: Rois on November 10, 2015, 10:26:28 AM
Quote from: muppet on November 10, 2015, 10:16:42 AM
Quote from: Rois on November 06, 2015, 03:15:48 PM
Quote from: 50fiftyball on November 06, 2015, 12:00:35 PM
Anyone recommendations between Christmas & New Year? I know its got hugely popular and prices have went up, talking about boxing day onwards and back first week of Jan - you know the week where you lay about, eat, drink, eat again and get fat!

Love the US but its expensive, there isn't really anywhere warm enough in Europe - beach weather. Anyone been to Thailand etc? Talking 25-35 age group.

I priced going to California direct from Dublin to LA with Ethiopian Air between Christmas and NY and flights were reasonable. 

Instead we decided to go to....Aberdeen!

I can't make any sense out of either of those sentences!

What is 'between Christmas and NY'?
The week that you're forced to take off work between 25 December and 1 Jan because the office is closed or there's not much happening.   

Ah, NY is New Year's.

I assumed it was New York.
MWWSI 2017

An Watcher

After Xmas and the New Year it's time to think about Summer holidays.  We are taking the baby away for her first foreign holiday. She'll be 18 months in the Summer. See loads of kids holiday destinations but we're more interested in places for a baby. For example, nice pool area not too busy, decent walks, possible soft play area, central enough location.  Anyone got any recommendations for resorts/hotels around Europe as we're new to these type of holidays. Thinking Portugal, Spain, France as it'll be a short enough flight. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

StephenC

Quote from: An Watcher on January 02, 2016, 11:29:55 PM
After Xmas and the New Year it's time to think about Summer holidays.  We are taking the baby away for her first foreign holiday. She'll be 18 months in the Summer. See loads of kids holiday destinations but we're more interested in places for a baby. For example, nice pool area not too busy, decent walks, possible soft play area, central enough location.  Anyone got any recommendations for resorts/hotels around Europe as we're new to these type of holidays. Thinking Portugal, Spain, France as it'll be a short enough flight. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

The best advice I can give you is to forget about making the holiday about the child. She'll be 18 mths and won't remember a thing from it. Choose a holiday that will work for you both.  If you have a good time, then she will as well.
We went to France when my daughter was around that age and made this very mistake. We chose a park that was highly rated for kids, not realising that she would have been as happy no matter where. There'll be plenty of years where the holidays will be all about the children, just not yet.

An Watcher

Thanks for the advice StephenC. It was alot easier planning holidays for me n the missus!

AZOffaly

Quote from: An Watcher on January 03, 2016, 01:21:49 PM
Thanks for the advice StephenC. It was alot easier planning holidays for me n the missus!

StephenC is right, but I would just say make sure you get somewhere where she's easy to manage. There's no point in a big hotel with a massive pool if you're expecting to lie down beside it and soak in rays. The little one will be off trying to climb into the pool.

So while I wouldn't plan the holiday for the child to enjoy per se, I would make sure the facilities are child friendly (or toddler friendly) and safe, which will allow you to enjoy it more.

gallsman

Going to Marrakesh for four nights in March. Anyone been?

AZOffaly

Trying to get the head around the 2016 holiday now. Love France and Portugal. Up in the muck and shite of the football field with the minors last night, so even more motivated to get something sorted out. The only good thing about January is planning June/July.

HiMucker

Quote from: An Watcher on January 03, 2016, 01:21:49 PM
Watcher from my experience I would advice going with another couple who have a kid.  When it was just us and the kid we didn't find it as much as a holiday.  With two couples, even though they have a kid to watch, the work load seems shared.  Extra sets of eyes at the pool etc.  Def found it a lot better and more of a holiday.  That's my tuppence anyway, and would agree with the others.  As longs as it is safe and has a pool  it will be grand.

HiMucker

Quote from: gallsman on January 04, 2016, 03:16:00 PM
Going to Marrakesh for four nights in March. Anyone been?
My da was there about 15 years ago and said it was a kip.  He and my ma went again last year and the verdict was the same.  Im sure you will love it!  :D

Mikhailov

The missus looking for a wee break round Easter time in European city of my choice.... have previously been to Berlin, Prague, London, Rome & Barcelona would like to try somewhere different although I personally think London is hard to beat.

Anyone have knowledge or advice on Zurich, Munich or Vienna but preferably Zurich as flights are decent.

cheers

AZOffaly

I don't think Paris was there on your list? Would you not consider there?

armaghniac

Quote from: Mikhailov on January 08, 2016, 02:41:05 PM
The missus looking for a wee break round Easter time in European city of my choice.... have previously been to Berlin, Prague, London, Rome & Barcelona would like to try somewhere different although I personally think London is hard to beat.

Anyone have knowledge or advice on Zurich, Munich or Vienna but preferably Zurich as flights are decent.

cheers

Whatever you save on the flights to Zurich you'll spend on the food and drink. Vienna is good for a few days if Prague lit your bulb.
Munich is pleasant, and Madrid and Lisbon could be on the list.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rois

Quote from: armaghniac on January 08, 2016, 02:47:28 PM
Lisbon could be on the list.

Lisbon is next on our list.

Amsterdam (avoiding the red light district!) is also a nice place.  But I'd go with Paris too if you haven't been...amazing deals to be had as well.

Krakow has a few good things to see.