Holidays

Started by Oakleafer93, June 03, 2009, 01:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoG2

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 08, 2015, 03:05:32 PM
I prefer old town Albufeira myself to Vilamoura to be honest. I don't like the Yachty set :)

Actually Lagos is my favourite town so far on the Algarve, but it's not me going :)

100% and if you can time your holiday right, the medieval festival @ Silves is well worth a visit

Boycey

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 08, 2015, 03:05:32 PM
I prefer old town Albufeira myself to Vilamoura to be honest. I don't like the Yachty set :)

Actually Lagos is my favourite town so far on the Algarve, but it's not me going :)

+1

Absolutely cracking place, as is Alvor. Maybe I'm getting old but I'd far rather the more laid back scene in these places than either Villamoura or Albufeira

The Subbie

Another good town in Algarve is Tavira, in Eastern Algarve, 1/2 hour from Faro airport, accom food etc dirt cheap, lovely spot.

BennyCake

Anyone recommend things to do in and around Westport?

Are there many apartments to rent in the town or just outside?

Also, anyone done the Greenway cycle and have any stories?

JoG2

Quote from: BennyCake on July 09, 2015, 12:55:16 AM

Yessir... Rented bikes from mulranny and headed over to achille and back.  Our youngest sat in a wee capsule trailer hooked onto my bike.  It's some job.  Note that the last couple of miles over to achille are on the road, not the Greenway itself. 

Minus15

Heading to Wicklow next week with wife and young baby. Any recommendations?

macdanger2

Loads of apts / houses to rent around Westport - I've booked something through here a few times:

http://www.mayo-ireland.ie/en/accommodation/self-catering/rental-in-county-mayo.html

Or failing that, there's Trident Holiday homes agency based in the town who are decent enough to deal with.

Have only done a bit of the Greenway, it's good though esp if you get the weather. My sister did it recently, the rental companies now offer a pick-up service so you only have to cycle one-way if you want.

Anything else to do?
Westport house for kids;
Live music in a few pubs;
Climb Croagh Patrick and / or Mweelrea;
Beaches (some lovely ones out past Louisburgh);
Museum of Country Life in Turlough just outside Castlebar;
Lovely drive out towards Mulranny / Achill;
Delphi adventure centre out in Leenaun;

5 Sams

Take the car over to Achill and spend a day exploring places like this..

...then go to Matt Molloy's that night and watch a load of yanks make a glass of Guinness last for 4 hours!
The Aristocrat Years

BennyCake

Thanks lads.

Achill is fantastic alright. Stunning beaches. Is there much to do on Clare Island? Always fancied a visit. The Saw Doctors make it sound like a magical place.

BenDover

Just spent the week in Killarney bit hit and miss with the weather (to be expected) but had a good time anyway. Due a week in Port Salon in August to do sweet fa apart from beach and relax. But thinking of nxt year already any advice RE Eurocamp and the best locations, booking and sorting transfers? Have heard good reports about Dunriel in Holland.

heffo

Have to go to Belgrade with work in the next few weeks.

A bit left field I know but flights are shitty via Frankfurt - anyone know anywhere better to fly direct to and get the train?

LeoMc

Quote from: heffo on July 19, 2015, 09:14:04 PM
Have to go to Belgrade with work in the next few weeks.

A bit left field I know but flights are shitty via Frankfurt - anyone know anywhere better to fly direct to and get the train?
Dubrovnik, Budapest, Burgas would be the 3 closest.
Would you not have better flight options through London or Rome?

joemamas

Quote from: JoG2 on July 09, 2015, 09:31:56 AM

Yessir... Rented bikes from mulranny and headed over to achille and back.  Our youngest sat in a wee capsule trailer hooked onto my bike.  It's some job.  Note that the last couple of miles over to achille are on the road, not the Greenway itself.

Which can be quite a concern if your kids are on the young side. Especially with some clown driving at 60MPH alongside.

Harold Disgracey

Have booked a few days in Mulranny for the end of August, looking forward to it.

whitey

Quote from: 5 Sams on July 09, 2015, 10:34:46 AM

Take the car over to Achill and spend a day exploring places like this..

...then go to Matt Molloy's that night and watch a load of yanks make a glass of Guinness last for 4 hours!

My kids spent about 3 hours swimming at that beach a couple of weeks ago (with wet suits obviously) and we stopped in Nevins in Mulranny for the spuds on the way back.

Instead of Matt Molloys, go next door to the Porter House, especially on a Sunday night if the Molloy Brothers are playing.

Hobans on the Octagon is another might pub for an impromptu session.....I heard some incredible singers and musicians...but be warned...they take it very seriously and we were almost shushed out the door for laughing and loud talking.

Petey Joes down in the Castlecourt is also a might spot...quite unexpected for a "new" pub inside a hotel.

Go down to the Helm or the Towers for dinner-2 great spots