Holidays

Started by Oakleafer93, June 03, 2009, 01:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: giveherlong on April 10, 2015, 06:48:17 PM
Any good hotel\appartment self catering recommendations in Albuferia?

Parque Corcovada is nice in new town Albufeira. the apartments are clean and new, and there's a communal pool for every block of apartments, so there's loads of room. There's also a main pool in the middle of the centre. It's about 10 minutes walk, or less, to the Bullring and the top of the new town strip.

You can get a little train or a cheap taxi to old town as well, which is probably nicer for a family evening, but new town is the place for bars and the like.

laoislad

Quote from: gerrykeegan on April 12, 2015, 08:48:21 PM
Quote from: laoislad on April 12, 2015, 06:23:17 PM
Going on our first family summer holiday Friday week.
3 year old and a 1 year old on a 4hr flight..
Any tips? Plenty of Peppa Pig on the iPad I suppose is a start.

I've wondered are they are too young to be taking anywhere abroad but the wife insisted we were going!
There was a thing called the Airport Genie when we went last year. We paid about 14 quid (for two adults and two kids)and there was no going through that big long queue  at security, you went straight to the top of security. My youngest doesn't do waiting so it was worth every penny. I goggled it a minute ago but couldn't see it. The golf is on so so can't be arsed!!
Flying out at 6.30am queues at security might not be a problem?

Quote from: JoG2 on April 12, 2015, 09:42:13 PM

I've wondered are they are too young to be taking anywhere abroad but the wife insisted we were going!

Not too young.  We've had our youngins away at 1 year old. Always a wee gamble to how they will take to the flying. Plenty of snacks on top of the I pad and colouring books. I take it the 1 year old is on the knee? Pack a wee pillow if possible, plane should have blankets.  pick a seat near toilet / changing area as you don't wanna be a good bit away and be stuck behind the trolleys if in need of a pit stop.

Be very paranoid when applying the sun block. Plenty and often as even a wee bit of sun burn will make sleeping a torture and don't wake hungover ! 4 hr flight,  canary islands? Will be hot. Get up and out to the beach / pool for about 8 am. Stay in the shade from 11 onwards. Back to the pool / beach later on. Hard to beat. We're just looking ourselves. Not too many bargains out there

Thanks Jog.
Yeah Canary islands.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Boycey

Quote from: laoislad on April 13, 2015, 03:15:21 PM

There was a thing called the Airport Genie when we went last year. We paid about 14 quid (for two adults and two kids)and there was no going through that big long queue  at security, you went straight to the top of security. My youngest doesn't do waiting so it was worth every penny. I goggled it a minute ago but couldn't see it. The golf is on so so can't be arsed!!

Not too young.  We've had our youngins away at 1 year old. Always a wee gamble to how they will take to the flying. Plenty of snacks on top of the I pad and colouring books. I take it the 1 year old is on the knee? Pack a wee pillow if possible, plane should have blankets.  pick a seat near toilet / changing area as you don't wanna be a good bit away and be stuck behind the trolleys if in need of a pit stop.

Be very paranoid when applying the sun block. Plenty and often as even a wee bit of sun burn will make sleeping a torture and don't wake hungover ! 4 hr flight,  canary islands? Will be hot. Get up and out to the beach / pool for about 8 am. Stay in the shade from 11 onwards. Back to the pool / beach later on. Hard to beat. We're just looking ourselves. Not too many bargains out there

Thanks Jog.
Yeah Canary islands.

Assuming you're out of Dublin 6.30am is possibly in the busiest period of the day, I checked todays schedule and there was 40 odd flights between 6-7. If your out of Terminal 2 it'll not be too bad but give yourself buckets of time if T1.

muppet

Quote from: Boycey on April 13, 2015, 03:41:56 PM
Quote from: laoislad on April 13, 2015, 03:15:21 PM

Thanks Jog.
Yeah Canary islands.

Assuming you're out of Dublin 6.30am is possibly in the busiest period of the day, I checked todays schedule and there was 40 odd flights between 6-7. If your out of Terminal 2 it'll not be too bad but give yourself buckets of time if T1.

I noticed there is a family security line in T2 now, the one to the extreme right the day we went out. The security staff were more family friendly and it definitely made a difference.
MWWSI 2017

johnneycool

Looking to hire a car in Italy for a few days.

Whats the pitfalls? Should I take out an insurance policy to cover the excess in case of a crash?

50fiftyball

Any posters here regulars of Vilamoura (Algarve) ?  :D

Getting close to flight booking time again, I never get sick of that marina area. It is just something else.

Mikhailov

Quote from: 50fiftyball on May 06, 2015, 04:45:23 PM
Any posters here regulars of Vilamoura (Algarve) ?  :D

Getting close to flight booking time again, I never get sick of that marina area. It is just something else.

Fine spot alrite - the marina has some flash boats and cars all about the place.

Have been a regular every year for last 10 years - great resorts, hotels, golf courses and bars. Always plenty of GAA on in all the bars around the marina area

Enjoy it if you go again

Rois

Quote from: johnneycool on May 06, 2015, 04:32:51 PM

Whats the pitfalls? Should I take out an insurance policy to cover the excess in case of a crash?
I haven't hired in Italy but have hired in France, Switzerland and New Zealand over the last year.

In France they tried to charge me for some damage - I was sure it wasn't me.  I bought my own excess cover externally anyway, but they dropped their fight when I started to argue.
On that occasion I was running late for flight so had to just pay for them to fill it up, but I noticed that they had noted down that I had done more miles than I had, so I challenged them on that as I had photo evidence, and got a bit of a refund. 

Conversely in Switzerland, when I dropped the car off there were a few scratches that weren't there when I picked the car up.  I filled in an accident report form, but they never came looking for me.

So I would buy annual excess coverage (about £40 for a year) and I would take photos of EVERYTHING, including mileage at the start and end.  And try to make sure to get one of the employees out to look over the car with you at the end (though they're a bit lax with that in France - just drop the keys and go). 

muppet

Make sure the Gamin or TomTom is up to date if your rent one. Mine had me trying to turn off Motorways at non-existent exits.

I have driven a couple of times in Italy, once from Rome to Puglia and back. The drivers are not as bad as their reputation suggests. But Rome will test you if you go into the city.
MWWSI 2017

heffo

Am Sixt Platinum and have never had a problem with them trying to incorrectly charge and have used them all over the world.

In Italy and France to be sure always pre and post photos and get it inspected when you drop it off.

JoG2

The forums in TripAdvisor. Brilliant advice on the very pitfalls you seek to avoid.

Rois

Quote from: heffo on May 06, 2015, 08:02:30 PM
Am Sixt Platinum and have never had a problem with them trying to incorrectly charge and have used them all over the world.

In Italy and France to be sure always pre and post photos and get it inspected when you drop it off.
Sixt based in French sector of Geneva airport were the extra chargers for me!

heffo

Quote from: Rois on May 06, 2015, 08:33:17 PM

Sixt based in French sector of Geneva airport were the extra chargers for me!

:-[

Milltown Row2

I've used Sixt in Italy, flew to Pisa hired car but was a bit from Airport never had problem... Took photos while he was giving me car.. And inspected with him... That should be norm...
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

muppet

Actually you reminded me, I am a Hertz something or other (Gold+?) member and they tried to fleece me in Rome. I only noticed when the the €2,000 or more was deducted after I came home. I wrote to Hertz UK and they re-imbursed me without a row. But be careful.
MWWSI 2017