Holidays

Started by Oakleafer93, June 03, 2009, 01:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rois

lol I spent summers in the Swiss Alps when I was a student  and ski every year - I basically know all the chalet owners and transfer companies by name in Chamonix and Morzine by  now through organising group ski trips.

I'm going to Chamonix - fell in love with a wee chapel there long before I met the boy, and luckily he's really taken with the idea.  Plus it is a pretty big town with lots of things to do - hiking, MTB, and in my case, sitting in cafes in town centre sipping wine!  It's down the motorway from Geneva - just an hr away - which is why I'd really want people to get cheap flights to there.  I think Milan isn't a million miles away, and Lyon isn't too bad either.

I have some great prices on family chalets so far - an 18-bed chalet for a week in July (family rooms etc) is rented out at €3k.  That's a brill price for 18 people (€167 each for a week!) - has bbq, outdoor hottub, all that jazz.  I am planning to get a caterer to come round the day after and do a bbq for the guests.  The day of the wedding will be a meal in a nice restaurant very near the chapel. 

Will look into the spa thing - think there may be one in St Gervais, just 25km away.  Might get the girls there beforehand.

The trick will be keeping an eye on Aer Lingus. 

Maggie - beaches don't have to be at the coast - you could try the Italian lakes, fly into Milan or Pisa, or you can get a train out from Rome to the beach.  My friend went for a surf break to Biarritz and loved it there. 

Rois

Maggie - another suggestion and don't write it off before thinking about it, but fly to Malaga and go to Marbella or Puerto Banus.  There's not too much historical significance with either, but you can go on a day trip over to Morocco or Gibralter (lots of companies offer them) and you can stay in apartments in PB for really reasonable rates if you look on ownersdirect or homeaway. 
I've done 3 holidays in PB, admittedly girlie ones, but walking around the port, going into Marbella etc, it didn't feel too much like a bland sun holiday. 

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: seafoid on April 24, 2013, 09:08:34 AM
Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on April 12, 2013, 04:33:10 PM
Folks

Any recommendations for a holiday in the south of Ireland?

Towards the end of May.

3-4 days.

Hotel & site seeing ideas welcomed.

SF
Wexford is nice. Seafield outside Gorey has apartments you can rent and it's a nice place to relax.
The Wexford coast has nice beaches for walking and Gorey is an interesting town.   

Seafield is a good spot alright, got married there. Not into spa breaks but the outdoor jacuzzi pool there is class, especially in the depths of winter. Other good spots with self catering are Waterford Castle and the Faithlegg. Both are just outside Waterford City and if the weather is nice you have beaches at Dunmore East and Tramore. Plus you can get the ferry over to Ballyhack and get lunch in Kevin Dundon's place.

Congrats Rois on the engagement, the build up to the big day is a tough slog but the day itself is class.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

balladmaker

QuoteMaggie - another suggestion and don't write it off before thinking about it, but fly to Malaga and go to Marbella or Puerto Banus.  There's not too much historical significance with either, but you can go on a day trip over to Morocco or Gibralter (lots of companies offer them) and you can stay in apartments in PB for really reasonable rates if you look on ownersdirect or homeaway. 
I've done 3 holidays in PB, admittedly girlie ones, but walking around the port, going into Marbella etc, it didn't feel too much like a bland sun holiday. 

Agree, love Marbella and PB area, old town in Marbella is hard to beat for ambience, a nice meal and a few drinks.

Rois, sack the wedding planner, the GAA Board Wedding Planning Service will take it from here :-)

Rois

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on April 24, 2013, 03:16:21 PM

Congrats Rois on the engagement, the build up to the big day is a tough slog but the day itself is class.

The problem is, I am having three such days  ;D

Need to get legally married in City Hall in Belfast first, then off to Chamonix for the chapel, then a wedding party when we get back.

Now, balladmaker, any suggestions of ballad makers for a Belfast do??  Time to resurrect the "wedding bands" thread maybe. 

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: maggie on April 24, 2013, 02:37:46 PM
Need some advice from you well travelled people.

Was looking a 5 night break for somewhere in August.  So far have looked at Nice and Barcelona.  But would there be any other city type recommendations??.  Somewhere that has access to a beach, will be warm but isnt just a resort/pool type holiday.

Personally I'd prefer Valencia to Barcelona.
The beach is much bigger and quieter. Barcelona's is actually fake.
The city is smaller and less crowded, not nearly the same problem with pickpockets and scummers.

There would be less in terms or tourist attractions, architecture and nightlife though but the aquarium and modern museums are excellent.
August might be a bit quiet though, so Barca may be the safer bet.

Puckoon

Rois - very happy for you! Congratulations :D

laoislad

Anyone been to Wales on holiday?
We reckon it be might be too much hassle flying somewhere with a 16 month old so was hoping to take the car on the ferry over to Wales,maybe rent a house somewhere for 4 or 5 days.
Any suggestions?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Puckoon

I'd take the car on the ferry over to Wales, maybe rent a house somewhere for 4 or 5 days.

laoislad

Quote from: Puckoon on April 24, 2013, 03:40:12 PM
I'd take the car on the ferry over to Wales, maybe rent a house somewhere for 4 or 5 days.

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

ross4life

Chamonix great spot alright haven't been there for 10 years (when Europe had that heat wave) was great to go up on Mont Blanc & cool off. I liked Venice it can be a bit of tourist trap but even wandering around the narrow streets is worth trip and the Piazza San Marco is one of the best sights in Italy. I stayed in Treviso accommodation is cheaper there & is about 30 minute train trip to Venice.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

seafoid

Quote from: Rois on April 24, 2013, 03:07:40 PM
lol I spent summers in the Swiss Alps when I was a student  and ski every year - I basically know all the chalet owners and transfer companies by name in Chamonix and Morzine by  now through organising group ski trips.

I'm going to Chamonix - fell in love with a wee chapel there long before I met the boy, and luckily he's really taken with the idea.  Plus it is a pretty big town with lots of things to do - hiking, MTB, and in my case, sitting in cafes in town centre sipping wine!  It's down the motorway from Geneva - just an hr away - which is why I'd really want people to get cheap flights to there.  I think Milan isn't a million miles away, and Lyon isn't too bad either.

I have some great prices on family chalets so far - an 18-bed chalet for a week in July (family rooms etc) is rented out at €3k.  That's a brill price for 18 people (€167 each for a week!) - has bbq, outdoor hottub, all that jazz.  I am planning to get a caterer to come round the day after and do a bbq for the guests.  The day of the wedding will be a meal in a nice restaurant very near the chapel. 

Will look into the spa thing - think there may be one in St Gervais, just 25km away.  Might get the girls there beforehand.

Maggie - beaches don't have to be at the coast - you could try the Italian lakes, fly into Milan or Pisa, or you can get a train out from Rome to the beach.  My friend went for a surf break to Biarritz and loved it there.
The Aiguille de Midi cable car is another angle to Chamonix. We did it in a while ago and the views are spectacular.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rois

Yeah good idea, did it last February too, would def be on the list.  We got a great clear day.  Might even book into the restaurant some lunchtime when we're there, but wary of organising too much.  No doubt for most of the time I'll be running round like a headless chicken! 

giveherlong

Quote from: Rois on April 23, 2013, 11:23:25 AM
Don't suppose anyone knows when Aer Lingus release flights for next summer?

The week after spending a fortune on a holiday to Mexico and flights to the US for September, Mr Rois goes and proposes with a sparkler.
So I'm planning a summer Alpine wedding next year and Aer Lingus are the only people that fly to Geneva in summer time. 

I want to be able to tell the guests when to book flights to get best prices (around the 12th July next year) and am so impatient at the minute!!  Anyone have any broad clues when flights are likely to go on sale?

Congrats cuz!  ;)

ziggy90

Quote from: Rois on April 24, 2013, 03:07:40 PM

Congratulations Rois.

I love Italy, the people, the food and climate all combine to make it a fabulous destination, add to that it's history and it's well nigh irresistible. One suggestion I'd like to make is fly into Rome and spend 2 or 3 days around it (more if you've the time,) then catch the high speed train to Naples and then the local connection to Sorrento. The Amalfi coast is stunning and Sorrento is a lovely little town just to relax and catch some sun.

I've never been to the lakes and hope to maybe put that right this year. Any recommendations for accomadation, restaurants, itinerary's etc would be appreciated
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered