Holidays

Started by Oakleafer93, June 03, 2009, 01:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onion Bag

Quote from: el_cuervo_fc on October 22, 2012, 05:03:36 PM
Heading to South Africa tomorrow for Umgolaarmagh's wedding.

Nice one, i never even knew he was getting married, pass on my congratualtions
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

el_cuervo_fc

Quote from: Onion Bag on October 22, 2012, 05:07:09 PM

Will do. Still piecing together the speech FFS. I'll just have to get drunk on the plane later to finish it off

Onion Bag

Quote from: el_cuervo_fc on October 23, 2012, 06:51:35 AM
Quote from: Onion Bag on October 22, 2012, 05:07:09 PM

Will do. Still piecing together the speech FFS. I'll just have to get drunk on the plane later to finish it off

No bother to you, there will be plenty of stories, I have a brave few, but you would have a few 100
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

qwerty123

Has anyone ever toured South America before?  I've never been on a back packing holiday before, but I'm thinking of going from September to December next year.  Would love to go though, supposedly it can be done quite cheaply and would be a far cry from the somewhat 'touristy' places like Oz etc.

Tips on where to start off/a rough journey outline/any must-see places or must-do activities?

Maybe the September to December wouldn't be as good as during the summer - won't be as much life about it?

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: qwerty123 on October 23, 2012, 11:32:25 AM
Has anyone ever toured South America before?  I've never been on a back packing holiday before, but I'm thinking of going from September to December next year.  Would love to go though, supposedly it can be done quite cheaply and would be a far cry from the somewhat 'touristy' places like Oz etc.

Tips on where to start off/a rough journey outline/any must-see places or must-do activities?

Maybe the September to December wouldn't be as good as during the summer - won't be as much life about it?

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=12660.msg571757#msg571757
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Christmas Lights

Quote from: southdown on September 11, 2012, 04:44:31 PM
I've booked a week off work with the girlfriend in November.  Leaving on the Saturday.  Planning on booking something at the very last minute and see where it takes us, always hearing of these great last minute deals especially when it is not peak season.

Can anyone suggest where is hot and nice in November and any decent websites I can use to get  late deal?

Cheers

Where did you book?  Thinking of doing something similar myself now?

Family guy

Anyone been to any of the islands in the carribbean??Any suggestions?The girlfriends looking to go in the new year,i havent a clue,just asking has anyone any advice?

spuds

Quote from: Family guy on November 02, 2012, 09:27:13 PM
Anyone been to any of the islands in the carribbean??Any suggestions?The girlfriends looking to go in the new year,i havent a clue,just asking has anyone any advice?
Couldn't recommend Cuba highly enough, if you want somewhere a bit different with it's own unique character where most people won't know anything about Ireland (no trite references to U2, Guinness & leprechauns). Stay away from the sterile compounded resorts which only permits the locals to enter as workers to facilitate the vast numbers of Canadians that visit. The real Cuba is so different and rewarding, stay in a 'casa particular' (B&B) to get the personal touch and they will invariably have you as a family member if you stay for a few days. Havana has some classy old 50s hotels from the time of US gangster/mob money that are almost unchanged...get a little yellow open coco cab to a music venue to hear the salsa beats as you  sip your mohito staring at those sexy ass girls with their impossibly smooth dance rhythms.
Hire a car if you can, you get to see so much this way....if you have room be sure to give lifts to those on the side of the road, big transportation issues and you get to meet the real people.....you can get quite irritated by the constant attention from charming beggars, the people that want you to stay with their "friends" and the cigar, rum, coke, chica merchants. The countryside is beautiful. Fantastic beaches, mountain walks, wildlife spots, areas of outstanding beauty etc. Don't be expecting any McDonald's or Tesco's, expect to see a lot of 1950s Ford, Buick and Pontiac cars slipping by in front of crumbling colonial buildings as the relaxed vibes becomes infectious.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Hardy

Great stuff, spuds - makes me want to book a flight. You should look for a gig with Lonely Planet.

Asal Mor

I've been to the Dominican Republic - Sosua and some place near it,  Puerto Plata maybe? It was beautiful but there is endless hassle from the locals as soon as you leave the resort.
They're not aggressive and threatening but it wears you down after a while because it just never stops. It's better if you go away from the tourist areas and it's a fascinating, beautiful place but you'll get tired of saying "no thanks" every 10 seconds. I read somewhere snce that some ridiculously high percentage of the adult women in Sosua are prostitutes - something like 80% - but I wasn't aware of that before I went there, obviously like.

JimStynes

Any recommendations for a 3 or 4 night city break? Want a good hotel, city that has plenty to do and see and good shopping. Thinking of going in the new year with the wife

5 Sams

Quote from: JimStynes on November 03, 2012, 08:10:24 PM
Any recommendations for a 3 or 4 night city break? Want a good hotel, city that has plenty to do and see and good shopping. Thinking of going in the new year with the wife

Hard to beat Liverpool...great city and great people. Loads to do!
The Aristocrat Years

Rois

Paris or London. I love both.

Off to Krakow on Thurs, not sure what to expect.

laoislad

Quote from: JimStynes on November 03, 2012, 08:10:24 PM

Portlaoise..

Other than that I would recommend Prague or Barcelona.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Rois on November 04, 2012, 12:21:31 PM
Paris or London. I love both.

Off to Krakow on Thurs, not sure what to expect.

In order. London, Paris, Barce, Prague. Everybody talk about pop music.

London's just a superb city IMHO.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone