The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: Blowitupref on December 20, 2023, 12:06:02 AMColorado supreme court rules Donald Trump will not be on the ballot for the next president election.

"A majority of the court holds that President Trump is disqualified from holding the office of president under Section Three of the Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution," the court wrote in a 4-to-3 ruling. "Because he is disqualified, it would be a wrongful act under the Election Code for the Colorado Secretary of State to list him as a candidate on the presidential primary ballot

This does rather put the cat among the pigeons.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

tbrick18

What is the impact of this?
I'm assuming he can still stand in the election, but just not in that state.
If we was to win the presidency again, and Colorado had this ruling made, does that mean he no legal authority of that state?

RedHand88

Can still be overturned by the US Supreme Court mind you, which has a Conservative majority.
It's a matter of time at this stage. It's debatable whether it would be overturned in time before the election season.

I think it could possibly backfire and galvanise his base.

J70

No idea on the Supreme Court, but you know Thomas and Alito will definitely vote to overturn it. The question will be on the likes of Kavanaugh and Roberts. I'd imagine they will join with the others.

As to galvanizing his base, I think that ship has sailed with the prosecutions. Christ, he feels safe enough now that he is openly talking (and doubling down on this talk) about immigrants "poisoning the blood" of the US.

It would be nice if the SC let it stand though and open it up to other states to kick him off the ballot. The GOP might come to their senses and nominate someone who is NOT an open threat to democracy.

dec

Quote from: Blowitupref on December 20, 2023, 12:06:02 AMColorado supreme court rules Donald Trump will not be on the ballot for the next president election.
Not quite, at the moment it is just for the Republican primary.

Main Street

A nightmare before Valentine's day

Itchy

The choice facing US voters is well chronicled in this little clip

https://youtu.be/0BqxArM3Vwk?si=Aa7pbN8o577Qb7bP

However, it fails to mention the Turd Sandwich and Giant Douche are both in the pocket of the same people.

Tony Baloney

Biden is a shambles. Sophie's Choice in the US.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 09, 2024, 10:19:00 PMBiden is a shambles. Sophie's Choice in the US.

Representative democracy is a shambles.

Look at the state of those being elected across the world. If it were a professional position that required submission of CVs and interviews, how many would pass the first stage of vetting?
i usse an speelchekor

whitey

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on February 10, 2024, 01:05:37 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 09, 2024, 10:19:00 PMBiden is a shambles. Sophie's Choice in the US.

Look at the state of those being elected across the world. If it were a professional position that required submission of CVs and interviews, how many would pass the first stage of vetting?

It's completely depressing

Joe obviously isn't calling the shots

RedHand88

Does it get to a point where they need to invoke the 25th amendment?

If Joe isn't running in the autumn, wouldn't that call need to be made within a few weeks to allow another Democratic candidate to build momentum? We're just 8 months now from polling day.

J70

Quote from: whitey on February 10, 2024, 01:21:36 PM

Whether or nit he is, the perception is that he isn't, and he's only going to slow down more.

I think the people around him need to make him see that he has to pull out for the good of the country. There is too much at stake.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: J70 on February 10, 2024, 04:27:15 PM

Whether or nit he is, the perception is that he isn't, and he's only going to slow down more.

I think the people around him need to make him see that he has to pull out for the good of the country. There is too much at stake.
When he was running for his first term were they really planning on him seeing out 8 years?! They fucked with the initial term - there must have been better candidates! If even liberals are seeing him as a busted flush then things are bad. He needs to get gone on medical grounds ASAP.

J70

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 10, 2024, 11:08:41 PM
Quote from: J70 on February 10, 2024, 04:27:15 PM

When he was running for his first term were they really planning on him seeing out 8 years?! They fucked with the initial term - there must have been better candidates! If even liberals are seeing him as a busted flush then things are bad. He needs to get gone on medical grounds ASAP.

I think many people, including myself, figured he'd only want to a single term. There was no one else at the time. We needed a moderate candidate who stood a reasonable chance of beating the mentally ill freakshow. Sanders would have been crucified as a pinko commie and the second coming of Lenin. Biden was the only option who could appeal to a broad enough section of the electorate to keep Trump out. We need the same again, but unfortunately Biden is now too old.

whitey

The border mess is 100% on this administration and the people most impacted are the Democrats own supporters

Here in Boston, the State has commandeered a community center in a the poorest neighborhood in the city and turned it into a shelter. The locals are going ballistic

https://www.wbur.org/news/2024/02/02/politics-healey-wu-shelter-roxbury-migrants-melnea-cass-recreation-center

Just because Trump is a d1ckh34d doesn't mean he was wrong about everything