Death Notices

Started by Armagh4SamAgain, April 05, 2007, 03:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kerry Mike

Belgian cyclist Wouter Weylandt killed in accident in Giro d'Italia today

Belgian rider Wouter Weylandt has died following a crash during the third stage of the Giro d'Italia on Monday.

Leopard-Trek rider Weylandt, 26, crashed badly on the descent of the dangerous Passo del Bocco climb and received emergency treatment including cardiac massage at the scene of the accident.

Television shots showed the rider bleeding heavily and lying unconscious on the ground. His team later confirmed that he had died.

The stage was won by Spain's Angel Vicioso but his victory was overshadowed by the sad events earlier.

Leopard Trek spokesman Tim Vanderjeugd told Press Association Sport: 'I can confirm the death of Wouter Weylandt. He was taken to hospital but had already died at the scene.'

Giro race doctor Professor Giovanni Tredici told the Gazzetta dello Sport newspaper: 'Weylandt was the victim of a fall and we are still trying to reconstruct the dynamics of what happened.

'We tried immediately but he was already unconscious, his condition was already compromised. We tried for 40 minutes to resuscitate him but there was nothing we could do.'

A further statement from Leopard Trek general manager Brian Nygaard read: 'Today, our team-mate and friend Wouter Weylandt passed away after a crash on the third stage of the Giro d'Italia.

'The team is left in a state of shock and sadness and we send all our thoughts and deepest condolences to the family and friends of Wouter.

'This is a difficult day for cycling and for our team, and we should all seek support and strength in the people close to us.'

The podium celebration at the end of the race was cancelled by organisers.

Weylandt won stage three of the same race last year, and also stage 17 of the 2008 Vuelta a Espana.

Tributes were quick to emerge from other riders.

Mark Cavendish said on Twitter: 'Things like this shouldn't happen. Absolutely sick to the stomach. My thoughts are with his family. RIP Wouter Weylandt.'

Australian Robbie McEwan simply said he was 'devastated'.

A statement from the International Cycling Union (UCI) read: 'On behalf of the whole cycling family, the UCI president Pat McQuaid wishes to extend his deepest sympathies to all members of Weylandt's family, all his friends and team-mates, but also to all his colleagues on the Giro, who will have to overcome their grief to continue in the race.'
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Denn Forever

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on April 20, 2011, 12:24:33 AM
QuoteElisabeth Sladen - Doctor Who's Sarah-Jane Smith

One of my first boyhood crushes aged prob 10.

She knew how to keep K9 in place. Great to see her return to a later Dr. Who. I am sad to hear she is dead.

Dr Who with Sarah-Jane Smith On BBC4 at the moment and tomorrow at 7.40.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Nally Stand

Today marks the 30th Anniversary of the death of Francis Hughes after 59 days on Hunger Strike

...And the 95th Anniversary of the executions of Sean Mac Diarmada and James Connolly

RIP

"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

ross4life

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

The Boy Wonder

Sean Dunphy - Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam dilis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Dunphy

Canalman

Immature Ireland. RIP............ yet again.

Billys Boots

QuoteWhat, if anything at all, was going though the church official's mind when s/he transcribed "Osama Bin Laden (recently deceased)"!

It's hard to get good staff.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Hardy

Given the Christian directive to love one's enemies and to pray for the dead, what exactly is the issue with praying for OBL and how can a Christian cleric justify a refusal to pray for somebody?

Billys Boots

And why is that only us Atheists notice these things?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

AZOffaly

Quote from: Billys Boots on May 18, 2011, 12:45:20 PM
And why is that only us Atheists notice these things?

I thought you were a humanist?

Hardy

It's probably down to an unhealthy obsession with reason and logic.

ross matt

Garrett Fitzgerald according to Today FM. R.I.P

RedandGreenSniper

Very sad. A politician of the fullest integrity. RIP.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Ulick

First person to say "he made a great contribution to peace" gets a boot in the balls.