Death Notices

Started by Armagh4SamAgain, April 05, 2007, 03:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mouview

THE towering figure of Irish broadcasting. Could mix both heavy interviewing and light-hearted chat with equal aplomb.

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on November 04, 2019, 03:03:19 PM
Gaybo dragged Ireland into the 19th Century on his own.

He seemed to get more conservative as he got older..........or maybe it was cos Ireland passed him out.

But he was top of his profession and Ireland owes him a debt.

RIP
In fairness Shamrock we all tend to become more conservative as we get older. Obviously a young whipper snapper like yourself wouldn't have reached that point yet but with just 12 months of my 50s to go I've been there for a few years now.
Careful now

imtommygunn

Gay Byrne always on in the house growing up :( RIP

It seemed effortless the way he did things and he was an institution.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on November 04, 2019, 02:53:27 PM
Gay Byrne.

Whatever you made of him, he was a national institution. He'll be missed.

Poor auld gaybo. He apparently was in poor health for the last number of years. RIP.

BennyCake

Wasn't a big fan of his, but he was a very good presenter. RIP

Taylor

An institution for a generation growing up.
Late Late Show every Friday night was a staple in the house.

RIP

Orior

Proud to say he walked past me once in Donnybrook. RIP
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on November 04, 2019, 03:23:45 PM

He seemed to get more conservative as he got older..........or maybe it was cos Ireland passed him out.

RIP
In fairness Shamrock we all tend to become more conservative as we get older. Obviously a young whipper snapper like yourself wouldn't have reached that point yet but with just 12 months of my 50s to go I've been there for a few years now.

+1

However, I am actively doing my best to stop the movement to the right.

macdanger2

RIP Gaybo

Not to be uncharitable but is it being a bit overdone in the media? Radio 1, newstalk and today fm had all of their 5-7pm shows dedicated to him, the 9pm news is ~50% about him. I appreciate it's sad for his family and friends but a bit overboard imo.

From the Bunker

Quote from: macdanger2 on November 04, 2019, 09:16:58 PM
RIP Gaybo

Not to be uncharitable but is it being a bit overdone in the media? Radio 1, newstalk and today fm had all of their 5-7pm shows dedicated to him, the 9pm news is ~50% about him. I appreciate it's sad for his family and friends but a bit overboard imo.

The Ireland of today is light years from the backward country we were a generation ago.
Unlike the multi-channel TV we presently have, most people in the 60's, 70's and 80's were confined to One or Two Channels. There will never again be a broadcaster who had such a monopoly on a chat show audience. Added to this The Late Late Show was a forum for change in Ireland on Saturday and later Friday nights. People had to watch weather they liked the show or not.

armaghniac

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on November 04, 2019, 08:15:10 PM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on November 04, 2019, 03:23:45 PM

RIP

+1

However, I am actively doing my best to stop the movement to the right.

I find that my centre is expanding.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

balladmaker

Met Gay once in the Seaview Hotel in Gweedore, when he called into the bar for lunch with his wife.  It was just a short time after he'd finished the Late Late.  They were both very personable, he came across as a nice fella.

RIP

Rossfan

RIP Gaybo.
The supreme Professional  broadcaster/presenter (except for the Annie Murphy interview).
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

BennyCake

Quote from: Rossfan on November 04, 2019, 11:46:31 PM
RIP Gaybo.
The supreme Professional  broadcaster/presenter (except for the Annie Murphy interview).

And the Gerry Adams ambush.

From the Bunker

Quote from: BennyCake on November 05, 2019, 01:03:39 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on November 04, 2019, 11:46:31 PM
RIP Gaybo.

And the Gerry Adams ambush.

Gerry had had plenty of Senior Hurling experience at that stage. Annie on the other hand hadn't even played Junior B up to her appearance.