Part Time Study

Started by Walter Cronc, September 12, 2013, 08:09:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Cronc

Hi guys,

Just wondering has anyone any experience of completing a Masters/Post Grad whilst continuing full time work?

Considering attending University one day a week to improve my employability long term. The downside is likely losing a days pay.

Alternatively I could complete a course via distance learning which would mean studying at (giving up my) weekends.

Appreciate any advice.

TIA!

StephenC

Quote from: Walter Cronc on September 12, 2013, 08:09:22 AM
Hi guys,

Just wondering has anyone any experience of completing a Masters/Post Grad whilst continuing full time work?

Considering attending University one day a week to improve my employability long term. The downside is likely losing a days pay.

Alternatively I could complete a course via distance learning which would mean studying at (giving up my) weekends.

Appreciate any advice.

TIA!

I did a distance learning one a few years back. I'm glad I did it and it has certainly helped with the old career. I suggest you have a good think about what type of result you would be happy with. Will you be aiming for top of the class level results or just-about-enough? It was just-about-enough for me, as it meant I didn't have to sacrifice as much time every week. Also in my experience employers only care that you have it, and don't really care what your detailed results were.
The other thing I'd say is that there will never be a good time to do it. We moved into our new house and had our first kid while I was doing mine but there's always something going on so you may as well just bite the bullet.
If there is a thesis/dissertation element to it, then (for distance learning at least) this is where people tend to fall down. We were told in our class that only 60% of people who completed the exams, went on to submit their thesis. So people invested 2 years and then couldn't get motivated to submit the thesis and ended up with nothing!
If I could do it again I'd probably look at a block-release setup, or else one day a week assuming the college was fairly close. Some people thrive on the distance learning setup but I found it a little hard to motivate myself sometimes.

Best of luck with it if you do decide to go ahead.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: StephenC on September 12, 2013, 09:32:11 AM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on September 12, 2013, 08:09:22 AM
Hi guys,

Appreciate any advice.

TIA!

I did a distance learning one a few years back. I'm glad I did it and it has certainly helped with the old career. I suggest you have a good think about what type of result you would be happy with. Will you be aiming for top of the class level results or just-about-enough? It was just-about-enough for me, as it meant I didn't have to sacrifice as much time every week. Also in my experience employers only care that you have it, and don't really care what your detailed results were.
The other thing I'd say is that there will never be a good time to do it. We moved into our new house and had our first kid while I was doing mine but there's always something going on so you may as well just bite the bullet.
If there is a thesis/dissertation element to it, then (for distance learning at least) this is where people tend to fall down. We were told in our class that only 60% of people who completed the exams, went on to submit their thesis. So people invested 2 years and then couldn't get motivated to submit the thesis and ended up with nothing!
If I could do it again I'd probably look at a block-release setup, or else one day a week assuming the college was fairly close. Some people thrive on the distance learning setup but I found it a little hard to motivate myself sometimes.

Best of luck with it if you do decide to go ahead.

Hi Stephen,

Thanks very much much for the detailed response. Yeah I suppose my biggest concern with the distance learning would be a lack of lectures from an expert and the constant reading of books/pdfs to cover the syllabus. With regard to what I'm hoping to achieve, its merely a top up in a niche area as I already have a Masters so I'd be happy enough to just get the qualification and in the meantime live some sort of life!!

take_yer_points

Walter

I did my undergrad part time and finished in 2009. I then started my masters in 2011 and am just finishing off my dissertation now - again, this is part time.

My undergrad was 2 evenings per week and (6pm to 9pm) and my masters is 1 day per week (Tuesdays year 1, Wednesdays year 2, 1pm - 8pm). My employer has been very understanding and has encouraged my studies so I've been lucky enough to have been paid for the afternoon I miss work.

Looking at part time vs distance learning, I think the formal lecture structure of learning is overrated. Whilst having an academic to contact and speak to is useful, I think at postgraduate level you can learn as much (if not more) from your peers and from independent reading/study. I'm not sure how you would contact peers on a distance learning programme or how that would be setup - might be worth investigating.

Stephen also mentioned getting motivated for the dissertation - I'm struggling with that on a taught programme on campus so I don't think that's confined to distance learning - though I'd imagine more than 60% will complete it.

The one thing I think keeps you going are peers to work with. Group work forces you to get the head down because others are waiting to see what you have done - you get to push each other on. When you build those relationships then they carry into your individual work as well and almost complete individual work as a team.

Looking back I'd say I've enjoyed it but at the same time I can't wait until the end of the month so the whole thing is done and dusted. I hit a wall last Christmas and have struggled with motivation since - you need other people in the same boat to push you over the line. Nearly there now though!

Walter Cronc

Cheers TYP,

Perhaps you are right about the formal lecture, if the topic interests you enough (and your paying for it) then you'll learn it regardless.

Theyre appears to be a lot of flexibility with the distance learning. They allow you up to 8 years to complete the MSc and 5 for the PG. This can be studied anywhere so you arent tied to the city the course is located.

As far as peers is concerned there is an email based discussion group that allows you to communicate with other distance learners.

Due to the rigid structures within my firm I cant receive any sponsorship as this course would fall under a different teams work. A bit short-sighted in my opinion but not letting it put me off.