Paul McGirr u16 Championship

Started by tyroneman, August 31, 2011, 07:47:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Quote from: rodney trotter on November 25, 2015, 07:43:01 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on November 25, 2015, 11:34:45 AM
Not sure. The southern gaels sounds almost like one of kerry's divisional teams. I've never seen, in antrim, any amalgamation with above 3(maybe 4 but not 100% sure on that) teams.

It is becoming increasingly harder for rural areas to field teams these days though. If they can't field on their own I'd be in favour of it(within reason).

There is 2 teams in the Southern Gaels amalgamation, hardly the same as Kerry Divisional teams.

If the Ulster Council bring in a rule not to allow amalgamations compete, I doubt Cavan Clubs will be bothered either way. The goal for those Clubs is to compete at a high level in Division 1, to play in Ulster is only a bonus. Though it should be played earlier then late November when the ground is in shite.

Ah. I thought it was more.... Listening to too much bluster from hs ;D

Two teams is no big deal. Stinsons have done it in antrim for years

outinfront

Most of the underage Ulster comps are "unofficial" is that correct? If so then I guess the clubs that organise the comps have the call on who can enter. I don't recall many amalgamated teams winning u16 or minor recently ( though it's hard to remember anyone other than glen winning the St. Paul's tourney in recent years)?

Aaron Boone

Dromore willl be hard beat on their home patch. I can't get a bet on these matches anywhere.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Itchy on November 25, 2015, 06:04:00 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 25, 2015, 12:49:47 PM
Personally I've no problem with amalgamations - but don't agree they should be allowed to enter Ulster competitions.

Why not?
What if an amalgamated team has combined 200 members and plays a standalone team with 800 members. I don't get this attitude.

Well going by your theory should we grade clubs by the number of members they have. So what happens in a situation where the single club has 300 members and the amalgamated club has 400 members??

You assume every urban/semi-urban club is a hive of activity centred around the GAA club. Urban clubs have plenty of problems themselves to contend with, namely around social & welfare issues not to mention the other sports on offer to their playing base.

nrico2006

Quote from: DERRYSFINEST on November 25, 2015, 01:26:57 PM
Personally I've no problem with amalgamations - but don't agree they should be allowed to enter Ulster competitions.

Good point, I would agree with that totally

Why is it ok for an amalgamated team to enter a county championship and not a provincial one?  Surely it should be at least consistent.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

rodney trotter

Quote from: hardstation on November 26, 2015, 08:04:06 AM
The fact that one Cavan club won a minor league on their own but still amalgamated come championship suggests that it's much more than simply being short numbers in Cavan. It seems to me that it is more about trying to win things. It's no surprise that nearly every Cavan minor championship winner has been a throw together over the last few years.

That only happened once. It was Bailieborough and Sherocock. Kingscourt won the Division 2 League and joined with them for the Championship. Every other amalgamation has been together since the start of the year.

You would also want to do some reserach on the last few Minor Championship winners in Cavan. Ramor won it this year, they aren't an amalgamation. They also won it in 2013. A few years before that it was Cavan Gaels dominating

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 26, 2015, 09:14:03 AM

Why not?
What if an amalgamated team has combined 200 members and plays a standalone team with 800 members. I don't get this attitude.

Well going by your theory should we grade clubs by the number of members they have. So what happens in a situation where the single club has 300 members and the amalgamated club has 400 members??

You assume every urban/semi-urban club is a hive of activity centred around the GAA club. Urban clubs have plenty of problems themselves to contend with, namely around social & welfare issues not to mention the other sports on offer to their playing base.

Thank god no rural teams have to contend with these problems.

I brought up the club size originally to illustrate a point. Hardstation would have you believe that clubs in Cavan are joining together with the sole purpose of winning and not to field teams. My point was you can have unfair populations within the GAA already with single clubs. For example Cavan Gaels in my own county would be multiple sizes bigger than the likes of Southern Gaels. So when that is considered, why would you go out and discriminate against a small rural amalgamation. I know Hardstation hasnt a clue what he is talking about but I was hoping I could help some people to understand this point of view.

general_lee

I think some people just underestimate the rural nature of some counties. Armagh for example has a raft of amalgamations you'd near lose count. Plenty of division 1 clubs too

Gold

Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 26, 2015, 10:38:23 AM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 26, 2015, 09:14:03 AM

Why not?

Thank god no rural teams have to contend with these problems.

I brought up the club size originally to illustrate a point. Hardstation would have you believe that clubs in Cavan are joining together with the sole purpose of winning and not to field teams. My point was you can have unfair populations within the GAA already with single clubs. For example Cavan Gaels in my own county would be multiple sizes bigger than the likes of Southern Gaels. So when that is considered, why would you go out and discriminate against a small rural amalgamation. I know Hardstation hasnt a clue what he is talking about but I was hoping I could help some people to understand this point of view.

I understand and have no issue with amalgamations.

Very difficult for small rural clubs to have a full team at all underage levels. City (Belfast) teams often have big numbers but you'd often see a good young player transfer from a small city club that either couldn't field a team at a particular underage level or were just shite. The transfer may only be for that underage competition but often results in a full transfer. I know teams in Belfast like L Dhearg and Galls have benefitted from that over the years. It would be far more beneficial for the smaller club to simply have an amalgamation at underage and keep their players, if that means the amalgamated club wins a County or even Ulster from time to time so be it.

I was driving through Templeport the other week and saw the bunting and then checked to see what the story was--they were in the Ulster Junior Club Championship, Cavan Champions. The area beside their pitch was so sparse of housing I couldn't believe they could field a Senior, never mind an underage team (im sure they cant). Pat Splillane talked of his pride at Templenoe winning a Junior Kerry Championship last week, stating it was near impossible to field a team, with not one player able to get work in the local rural area, all travelling home to play, making huge sacrifices.

It's easy in Belfast or Dublin (where the work is and people are living) to say we have huge numbers and berate others for not having the same.

"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

oakleaflad

I would have no issue whatsoever with amalgamations to field a team and it has happened at underage in my own county. Genuine question here, are Southern Gaels made up of more than 3 clubs? If so, could a team be fielded if 2+ clubs each amalgamated?

rodney trotter

Quote from: oakleaflad on November 26, 2015, 11:35:41 AM
I would have no issue whatsoever with amalgamations to field a team and it has happened at underage in my own county. Genuine question here, are Southern Gaels made up of more than 3 clubs? If so, could a team be fielded if 2+ clubs each amalgamated?

Nope, 2 Clubs. Lacken and Gowna.

Cavan have had some success recently at County level under age, Minor and U21 though amalgamations success at Club level. Maybe Hardstaion should get a few of those big Belfast City Clubs to amalgamate. Antrim haven't had much to shout about at County level.

PMG1

Clann Eireann v Magherafelt O'Donovan Rossa Preview

The first semi final of the Paul McGirr Ulster U16 Club Champions Tournament takes place this Saturday at 2:00 in Gardrum Park and it is an enticing tie between Derry Champions Magherafelt O'Donovan Rossa and Armagh's Clann Eireann.  Magherafelt had a nine point victory over Inniskeen in their opening game and some of their attacking play was of a very high standard with their main scoring threat coming from their central diamond of Caolan Coyle, Peter Tohill, Odhran Lynch and Cormac Murphy.  Coyle and Murphy were particularly impressive as they continually drove forward and Clann Eireann will have to work hard to curb their threatening runs.  Lynch is a towering figure at centre half forward and Magherafelt will be looking for him to dominate the aerial exchanges with his physical presence.  However the Derry boys will certainly have to improve on their defensive performance from the quarter final as only the poor finishing of Inniskeen and the brilliance of goalkeeper Patrick McLarnon prevented them from conceding goals on four or five separate occasions, this is one aspect of the game which Clann Eireann will be looking to exploit.  Manager Oliver Monaghan though is looking forward to the occasion "O'Donovan Rossa Magherafelt are looking forward to the game on Saturday against Clann Eireann in the Paul Mc Girr Tournament. Clann Eireann look to be a very strong opposition which is what you would expect at this stage of an Ulster Semi Final. We have been unlucky losing a couple of players due to injuries which have come on the back of a long hard season. Hopefully the conditions won't prevent an enjoyable game of football for both teams and supporters on Saturday afternoon".  Magherafelt play a patient short passing style of football and like to build from defence, but the high press employed by Clann Eireann in the quarter final could cause trouble for them. 

Clann Eireann, managed by Mairtin McConville and Gary McCleary  put in perhaps the performance of the tournament so far when they comprehensively defeated highly fancied Down champions Bredagh 2-14 to 0-08 in the opening round in a display that left many of the neutral specatators marking them as tournament favourites.  It was an impressive showing from the Lurgan boys particularly in the second half facing a strong wind and in man of the match Aodhan McConville they have a star in the making.  McConville was in imperious form and his pace and accuracy will provide a huge task for Magherafelt full back Conor McCluskey.  Rioghan Meehan, scorer of 1-03 against Bredagh, is another man that the Magherafelt boys will have to pay particular attention to as the flame haired wing forward was a constant threat with his tireless workrate.  Centre back Jack Conlon and midfielder Conor Turbitt were the catalyst for many of the Clann Eireann attacks and their team will be hoping they can gain a foothold in the middle in what promises to be a fascinating contest.  Manager Mairtin McConville although confident was in no doubt as to the challenge facing his team "Our boys are delighted to be competing at this level and in particular to have overcome down champions Bredagh in the quarter final.  At the same time we are under no illusions about the difficulty in facing Magherafelt.  Everyone is well aware of the competitiveness of the Derry championship and any team which comes out of Derry will be formidable.  Having said that there is great belief within this squad of players and they will be up for the challenge ahead on Saturday".  This is a game which would be very hard to call, if Magherafelt can tighten their defence then they will be in with a serious chance of progressing to next Sunday's final, however the betting man would tip the odds slightly in favour of Clann Eireann with their overall strength and workrate.

PMG1

Dromore v O'Donovan Rossa Preview

Dromore U16's will this weekend be looking to make history for their club when they compete in the semi-final of the Paul McGirr Ulster U16 Club Champions Tournament against Antrim champions O'Donovan Rossa.  It has already been a memorable season for the Dromore boys with two victories already to their name in the tournament over strong Enniskillen Gaels and St. Eunan's Letterkenny teams, but a victory this Sunday would mean a first ever Ulster Final appearance for the club.  However, the Falls Road boys will prove a major obstacle to overcome after they emphatically accounted for Cavan champions Southern Gaels on a 4-09 to 1-03 margin last Saturday, out-scoring their opponents 2-07 to 0-01 in the second half.  Rossa have a very strong backbone with captain Michael McGreevey at full back and the tenacious Michael McIvor at centre half, both players playing a major role in keeping Southern Gaels to just four scores over the hour.  In midfield Eoghan McMenamin is a dominant figure and with forwards of the calibre of Dominic McEnhill and Michael Close the Dromore rearguard will have to be on toes at all times.  Accordingly to Rossa manager Dominic McEnhill they are expecting things a bit tougher this week than last "We believe this is step up in level, with no disrespect to last weekend's opposition who provided a tough task for the our boys. It's the semi final against the host club who progressed from a highly competitive Tyrone championship and who have two tough games under their belt in this competition.  Our boys are eagerly awaiting this game and hope that the expected large crowd will see and enjoy a high quality game of football played in the right spirit and a fitting tribute to the memory of Paul Mc Girr".

Dromore though will be going into the game in confident fashion and according to joint manager Joe Rafferty they are not going along to make up the numbers "Having struggled to get out of Tyrone this year there was no doubt our boys were under-performing as we knew they were capable of much more.  However with the pressure off after winning the county title, it has been great to see them throw off the shackles and their performances so far in the Paul McGirr have been of the highest order, there is much more cohesion in their play and every player has been upping their game with each hurdle they have met.  Against St. Eunan's our defence was superb and it was the lesser known players on the team like Jamie Louis Law, Mark McGrade, Ruairi Teague, Cathal Colton, Padraig Quinn, John MacRory, Ruairi Gallagher and Nathan McCarron who really impressed.  The workrate, running off the ball and tenacity in the tackle were all first class.  We have a lot of scoring options in the team and against St. Eunan's we had eight different players on the scoresheet, this has been a feature of our play all year.  Rossa will be another step up in class but I don't think the challenge will phase the boys and hopefully come Sunday evening we will be looking forward to a first ever Ulster final for Dromore which would be a massive occasion for the club". 

Caolan Slevin has been a constant driving force in the Dromore defence and the Gardum Park boys will certainly look to his leadership on Sunday afternoon.  The midfield duo of Cahir Goodwin and Caolan McCarron have been dominant in their games so far while up front the pace of Odhran Rafferty and Pearse McNabb will prove a handful for the Rossa defence.  However it could be the battle between the prolific Dromore captain Oran Sludden and McGreevey which could decide the outcome of the game.

Both teams play an attacking style of football so weather permitting a high scoring affair is in store and no doubt the home team will have a huge Dromore and Tyrone backing cheering them on.  The game takes place at 2:00 on Sunday afternoon in Gardrum Park.  The first semi final takes place on Saturday afternoon at 2:00 between Armagh champions Clann Eireann and Derry's Magherafelt and this looks set to be an enticing affair with both teams having been highly impressive in their quarter finals.  As usual all proceeds from the tournament go the 'The Spirit Of Paul McGirr Trust' for its continuing work for the poor in Lusaka, Gambia.

PMG1

Superb game today played in torrential rain, Clann Eireann winning with an injury time point 1-08 to 1-07, serious commitment shown in the conditions by both teams, Magherafelt very unlucky to lose out, full report to follow.

vallankumous

I hear the hosts, Dromore, were well beaten today by O'Donovan Rossa's.