The Official Thread of Chelsea FC

Started by Norf Tyrone, January 23, 2007, 11:16:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bingo

Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 13, 2011, 11:30:53 AM
QuoteAlright in and out of fitness may be a factor but he was always allowed time to recover and get right, he's been playing now for months and if anytime should be as fit as anyone at this stage. Obviously his confidence is at rock bottom but having watched him for last few seasons he gives off the impression he just isn't happy playing football.

It's a bit of a myth that you can get your fitness by playing games, he needs a proper pre-season. I read an article about Barca recently and how they plan their pre-season and mini-pre-season are all about peaking in November/December and April/May hence why they were tiring towards the end of games and they were there for the taking by Arsenal in February (will see if I can dig it out). I remember Henry when he joined the Arse and how brutal he was but as he got more comfortable with what was expected well the rest his history. Torres can be that Henry for Chelsea imho.

What age was Henry when he joined Arse and was it not a question of a total change of a position that revitalised him? Winger to striker? Torres not have that luxury and was bought to score goals and has just turned 27, what was his last big move in his prime years.

I would say maybe his fitness not what it could be or sharpness at the very least but I;d be of opinion, sharpness only comes with matches and he's had them. I think he is holding back and maybe he is scared for opening up fully - getting further injuries or knocks. I remember when he joined LFC he played in a Carling cup game v Reading, got kicked round the field, scored a hatrick and a star was born. In his LFC years he was known for taking the kicks, sticking his leg in and getting on with it. That seems to have disappeared with the injuries.

JUst retired

Fulham paid £125.000 for a plastic statue, Chelski paid £50 million for theirs, which one has more life? ;D

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: JUst retired on April 13, 2011, 12:14:44 PM
Fulham paid £125.000 for a plastic statue, Chelski paid £50 million for theirs, which one has more life? ;D

Ha ha. That's a cracker. Noah predicts rain.

Quote from: Bingo on April 13, 2011, 12:11:14 PM
QuoteAlright in and out of fitness may be a factor but he was always allowed time to recover and get right, he's been playing now for months and if anytime should be as fit as anyone at this stage. Obviously his confidence is at rock bottom but having watched him for last few seasons he gives off the impression he just isn't happy playing football.

It's a bit of a myth that you can get your fitness by playing games, he needs a proper pre-season. I read an article about Barca recently and how they plan their pre-season and mini-pre-season are all about peaking in November/December and April/May hence why they were tiring towards the end of games and they were there for the taking by Arsenal in February (will see if I can dig it out). I remember Henry when he joined the Arse and how brutal he was but as he got more comfortable with what was expected well the rest his history. Torres can be that Henry for Chelsea imho.

What age was Henry when he joined Arse and was it not a question of a total change of a position that revitalised him? Winger to striker? Torres not have that luxury and was bought to score goals and has just turned 27, what was his last big move in his prime years.

I would say maybe his fitness not what it could be or sharpness at the very least but I;d be of opinion, sharpness only comes with matches and he's had them. I think he is holding back and maybe he is scared for opening up fully - getting further injuries or knocks. I remember when he joined LFC he played in a Carling cup game v Reading, got kicked round the field, scored a hatrick and a star was born. In his LFC years he was known for taking the kicks, sticking his leg in and getting on with it. That seems to have disappeared with the injuries.

In FT's defence, and I am running out here. He has been given very few 90 minute run outs. Plus he has been badly managed. Should never have played against Liverpool, and should've been given more time and/ or starts against so called weaker opposition to get him up and running.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Bingo

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on April 13, 2011, 12:21:32 PM
Quote from: JUst retired on April 13, 2011, 12:14:44 PM

Ha ha. That's a cracker. Noah predicts rain.

Quote from: Bingo on April 13, 2011, 12:11:14 PM

In FT's defence, and I am running out here. He has been given very few 90 minute run outs. Plus he has been badly managed. Should never have played against Liverpool, and should've been given more time and/ or starts against so called weaker opposition to get him up and running.

Thats true, massive gamble playing against Liverpool when he had only arrived and it was a huge motovational factor to LFC and media jumped all over it. I'd have thought Wigan was a game to play him at weekend, get a goal and move on as against United last week at least he looked likely on a couple of occassions.

It'll be like Crouch when he joined liverpool. He went an age without scoring, big media/fan pressure, then he got one that was an OG if anything, grapped another one in same game and settled in well after then - well as well as he could.

AZOffaly

Torres is class. I'd be of the same opinion as Dinny. If he gets a settled pre-season, and comes into a new season with a fresh start, with creative passers behind him, then he will score goals for anybody.

I'm not even sure he needs a 'partner' up front, but if he does I think it's more of a creative Beardsley type rather than a goalscoring Anelka/Drogba type.

If Chelsea really think Torres is the future (and he should/could be), then they have to start building their attacking play around him. (Not the team per se, but the way they attack).

GalwayBayBoy

Chelsea will never get the best out of Torres until he plays up front on his own. He doesn't work well with another striker in a regular 4-4-2 and for the vast majority of his career he has played up front by himself. Benitez recognised this straight away so his whole Liverpool team was built around playing Torres as a lone striker with Gerrard, Kuyt and Benayoun providing the service behind him. I think the injuries have robbed him of half a yard of pace as well. However he hasn't had a proper break in a long time. Last Summer he played for Spain in the World Cup when he was quite clearly not fully over an injury. With a break this Summer he should be fresh for next season but I do feel we've probably already seen the best of him in English football. That's not to say that he could still be quite productive in the right environment.

Dave

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on April 12, 2011, 10:54:26 PM
Quote from: Dave on April 12, 2011, 09:54:21 PM
Chelsea are like Arsenal..they haven't the balls.

That's right. The double holders have no balls.  ::)

Last season they had plenty of balls,balls of steel actually.
This season they have peanuts for balls.
They threw away the Premier League IMO..how many points were they clear before they started to falter?
They also showed no desire to win last night,Manchester United won at a canter it was as comfortable as it can get for them.

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Olly

Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

Norf Tyrone

No Ramieres tomorrow. Balls. I am really starting to enjoy watching him!

No Alex either.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone