The Official Thread of Chelsea FC

Started by Norf Tyrone, January 23, 2007, 11:16:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: ExiledGael on December 08, 2010, 09:39:19 PM
Another defeat, should have played the kids. All is definitely not well with Chelsea.

Er. He did. Brauma, Sturridge, MacEacheran and Van Aarnholt all on at the end and I think when the goal was scored.

Another so so performance tonight, with the lowlight again the midfield. Essien again was AWOL, Kalou was Kalou and Ramieres continues to struggle. The highlight once again was Josh MacEacheran. Ancellotti in his wisdom played his as the deep midfielder in the first half where he was under a bit of pressure and give one or two away. In the second half though his passing and vision were so much more obvious and dangerous. I'd love to see him keep his place.

As a team goes through a crisis of confidence, luck seems to avade them, and tonight was no different.

Malouda and Kalou both clearly brought down tonight and confirmed so by the after match analysis. However Drogba was also clipped in the box and elected to stay on his feet for a change and lost the chance. Three penalties turned down by a guy officiating his first ever CL game. Typical. Even the Marseille goal had a hint of luck with the ball taking a big deflection. That's the life at the minute.

The big problem for Chelsea this weekend will be that Ferreria will be RB against Bale after Bosingwa's injury tonight. Last year Bale roasted him.

If Lampard is fit- and I pray he is- I'd love to see Essien at RB with a middle three of Lampard, MacEacheran and Mikel with a forward three of Malouda, Drogba and Sturridge.

It'll not happen though.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

ExiledGael

You're right about when the goal was scored in the last ten minutes but they started out with
Cech, Bosingwa, Ivanovic, Terry, Ferreira, McEachran, Essien, Ramires, Kalou, Drogba and Malouda
and still played poorly. Agree on the penalties though, the game could easily have had a very different look. Their luck has certainly nosedived but it's here you learn a bit about cartain players and about how crucial Lampard is to the midfield.
Still think the team that finishes above Chelsea will win the league.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: ExiledGael on December 09, 2010, 05:09:25 PM
You're right about when the goal was scored in the last ten minutes but they started out with
Cech, Bosingwa, Ivanovic, Terry, Ferreira, McEachran, Essien, Ramires, Kalou, Drogba and Malouda
and still played poorly. Agree on the penalties though, the game could easily have had a very different look. Their luck has certainly nosedived but it's here you learn a bit about cartain players and about how crucial Lampard is to the midfield.

I know. It was a bit pedantic of me.

Your part about learning about certain players is very appropriate. People like Essien, Drogba, Malouda etc have not stood up to the task in the form you'd expect. Granted they have injuries, lack of form etc but still.

nrico2006

Quote from: ExiledGael on December 09, 2010, 05:09:25 PM

What if more than one team finishes above them?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

under the bar

Speaking of kids, who was the last Chelsea first-team regular to have come up through the youth system?

nrico2006

Quote from: under the bar on December 10, 2010, 10:00:43 AM
Speaking of kids, who was the last Chelsea first-team regular to have come up through the youth system?

Probably Terry.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

ross4life

I suppose Norf will name McEachran but at just 17 who knows can he make it at Chelsea? I expect Chelsea to go on a spending spree for experienced players in Jan to replace the departed Deco,Ballack,Cole & Belletti
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Norf Tyrone

Granted. Very few have come through and been regulars, but some have yielded decent returns in terms of finance, Sinclair, Stoch, Carlton Cole, Huth etc.

However Chelsea's planned strategy re youth players has been mentioned numerous times on here before if you want to read back. The strategy has probably not worked as quickly as planned, but there are some modest signs of working at this stage at least.

Quote from: ross4life on December 10, 2010, 05:43:18 PM
I suppose Norf will name McEachran but at just 17 who knows can he make it at Chelsea? I expect Chelsea to go on a spending spree for experienced players in Jan to replace the departed Deco,Ballack,Cole & Belletti

Chelsea have not gone on a spending spree for 4 or 5 years bar back a season or two ago when net spend was circa £30 million and with UEFA's self sufficency metric in place, and Chelsea's own self sufficent drive, I'd be very surprised if that happens. Remember Chelsea signed Ramires and Benayoun to replace two of the four above, and the stategy is/ was to promote MacEacheran, Van Aarnholt, Kakuta, Brauma and Borini (He will now leave) to supplement the rest.

There is a difficulty in bringing young players through at Chelsea though as there are very few games where-by a manager can blood a youngster as every game is a 'must win' as per the media. Look at Liverpool, and show me the 'quality' youngsters that they are bringing through. Even at United, bar possibly the twins, the remainder look average squad players at best IMHO. Even some of that heralded youth at United have been bought for big money, Smalling, Beba, Obertan for example.

ross4life

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on December 10, 2010, 09:11:51 PM

Chelsea have not gone on a spending spree for 4 or 5 years bar back a season or two ago when net spend was circa £30 million and with UEFA's self sufficency metric in place, and Chelsea's own self sufficent drive, I'd be very surprised if that happens. Remember Chelsea signed Ramires and Benayoun to replace two of the four above, and the stategy is/ was to promote MacEacheran, Van Aarnholt, Kakuta, Brauma and Borini (He will now leave) to supplement the rest.

There is a difficulty in bringing young players through at Chelsea though as there are very few games where-by a manager can blood a youngster as every game is a 'must win' as per the media. Look at Liverpool, and show me the 'quality' youngsters that they are bringing through. Even at United, bar possibly the twins, the remainder look average squad players at best IMHO. Even some of that heralded youth at United have been bought for big money, Smalling, Beba, Obertan for example.

Chelsea lack of spending sprees of late might have something to do with three league titles won among others & maybe it would have been better to have signed two/three bargain buys instead of the large fee they paid for Ramires?

I hope screenexile doesn't see your comment on the twins! he doesn't believe in youth development unless they are born in the place they play for.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: ross4life on December 10, 2010, 10:17:43 PM
Quote from: Norf Tyrone on December 10, 2010, 09:11:51 PM

Chelsea lack of spending sprees of late might have something to do with three league titles won among others & maybe it would have been better to have signed two/three bargain buys instead of the large fee they paid for Ramires?

I hope screenexile doesn't see your comment on the twins! he doesn't believe in youth development unless they are born in the place they play for.

Probably a fair point re Ramieres, although hopefully time will help him settle. I think the theory probably was that two or three squad players would stiffle the 'youth' coming through.

Norf Tyrone

Good stuff. Rumours of a new deal for Ivan as well!

NEW DEAL FOR KAKUTA
Posted on: Tue 21 Dec 2010
Chelsea Football Club is pleased to announce that Gael Kakuta has signed a new four-and-a-half-year contract.

The 19-year-old originally joined the club in July 2007 and made his first-team debut in November 2009. This season he has made four starts and five substitute appearances taking his overall tally to five starts plus eight games as a sub.

Having committed himself to the club until 2015, Kakuta spoke to the Official Chelsea Website about his delight at the new deal and his immediate targets.

'Since I signed for Chelsea when I was 16 all I was thinking about was to get to the first team. Now I have been playing a few times with the first team and I have signed for four-and-a-half more years I have to make a way for myself into the starting 11, and make my dream come true.

'The manager said to me it is the right time to play and I think for me it is as well. It's my job to do my best and try to play more often and show the coach that I am good enough to play in the team.'

Kakuta has progressed into the France Under 20 squad this season having won the European Under 19s Championships with his nation in the summer. He was named Uefa's Golden Player for the tournament.

At Chelsea this season Carlo Ancelotti has deployed him as a wide man in the front three and used him in five out of six Champions League group games, starting him in two including the home game against group runners-up Marseille.

'It is a dream when you are young to play in the Champions League and I hope I will play more games.

'It is always good to play with players with more experience, you learn quicker and to improve quicker is good for our development.'

ExiledGael

Heard recently that only once this season have Chelsea started a player under 23 years old in the league, Kakuta.
You're right about the United fringe players. Rafael is starting to really impress but the rest have a long long way to go. This time last year though you would have said the same of Evans and look at him now, woeful.

ross4life

Quote from: ExiledGael on December 21, 2010, 05:30:27 PM
Heard recently that only once this season have Chelsea started a player under 23 years old in the league, Kakuta.
You're right about the United fringe players. Rafael is starting to really impress but the rest have a long long way to go. This time last year though you would have said the same of Evans and look at him now, woeful.

Tom Cleverley & Danny Welbeck are having fine seasons out on loan though remains to be seen if they make it as future United players.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: ExiledGael on December 21, 2010, 05:30:27 PM

I'd be surprised if Sturridge hasn't started a league game? Anyhow look at the starts gained in the CL for U23s, Sturridge, Kakuta, Brauma, MacEacheran, PVA etc.

Chelsea have been criticised for not playing young players but now they do, it's switched to not starting young players! What next! Direction of goodness.

Norf Tyrone

Anelka on the bench. Good. Ruthlessness from CA.

Pub time for me.