The Official Thread of Chelsea FC

Started by Norf Tyrone, January 23, 2007, 11:16:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: ross4life on April 29, 2010, 05:28:09 PM
It's a long time since Chelsea won a Youth Cup so will be a big deal if they win it?

What was the score in the 1st leg or is it a one off final?

I think the last time Chelsea won the YC was the early 60s, so to bridge a 50 year gap will of course be a massive boost for the youth academy and the masterplan.

It's also Chelsea's 2nd youth cup final in 3 years, and looking at that squad four of those players have played for the Chelsae first team this season, and Ancellotti has already said they will form part of next year's squad. So again the system is in the direction of goodness.

The result was 1-1 by the way. Second leg on Tuesday.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Norf Tyrone

So, if you believe the hype it all comes down to this, and in truth it almost certainly does.
There has been much commentary all week talking about Liverpool's aproach to tomorrow, and the posability of them rolling over. However I don't expect this to happen whatsoever.

History has shown that back in 1995 Liverpool ripped King Kenny's premiership title right from his grasp, only for Andy Cole and company to kick it back into his pocket again. If they are willing to do this one of their own, there is no reason why they'll not want to do it to Chelsea.

The ability to do it is another question.

If Chelsea start and play with the tempo that they did last week, and on several occasions this season, they'll probably win. Only once this season have Chelsea had no game midweek and dropped points (A Joe Hart inspired Birmingham), and this could be a factor again.

At times Chelsea have produced puzzling displays (Villa A, Wigan A, Spurs A) etc where they looked really ordinary. However in all these games I believe they played the Wednesday pre which adds credance to the 'old legs' argument. This to a degree is true but I think the engine room (Deco, Ballack and to a lesser degree Lampard) needs an overhaul more than anything.

The specific threat, despite his iffy form, tomorrow is Gerard. In previous encounters Mikel and especially Essien have blunted Gerard's threat. However both of these players will miss tomorrow which leaves the question who takes Gerard now. Ballack has not got the legs, Belletti is a bit rash and leggy too. That would be my primary concern.

However the alternate is to play a positive game and not worry about Gerard, which will see Malouda take a central role again I'd imagine. JT will probably come back into the defence with Ivanovic probably taking the right back slot.

So far this season Chelsea have;
* Played the 'big four' six times and won all six.
* Scored 93 goals, and are in with a chance of breaking United's 97 goal record.
* Scored 7 goals on three occasions against decent oppostion, two of which are reknowned for the miserly defence.

All this with a manager in his first season in English football.

I am sure the Mancs will argue, and they are entitled to do so, but no matter what happens between now and Sunday week, I believe Chelsea have been the best team in the league this season. Only a bit of silverware required now to mark it.

thebigfella

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on May 02, 2010, 01:28:37 AM
So, if you believe the hype it all comes down to this, and in truth it almost certainly does.
There has been much commentary all week talking about Liverpool's aproach to tomorrow, and the posability of them rolling over. However I don't expect this to happen whatsoever.

History has shown that back in 1995 Liverpool ripped King Kenny's premiership title right from his grasp, only for Andy Cole and company to kick it back into his pocket again. If they are willing to do this one of their own, there is no reason why they'll not want to do it to Chelsea.

The ability to do it is another question.

If Chelsea start and play with the tempo that they did last week, and on several occasions this season, they'll probably win. Only once this season have Chelsea had no game midweek and dropped points (A Joe Hart inspired Birmingham), and this could be a factor again.

At times Chelsea have produced puzzling displays (Villa A, Wigan A, Spurs A) etc where they looked really ordinary. However in all these games I believe they played the Wednesday pre which adds credance to the 'old legs' argument. This to a degree is true but I think the engine room (Deco, Ballack and to a lesser degree Lampard) needs an overhaul more than anything.

The specific threat, despite his iffy form, tomorrow is Gerard. In previous encounters Mikel and especially Essien have blunted Gerard's threat. However both of these players will miss tomorrow which leaves the question who takes Gerard now. Ballack has not got the legs, Belletti is a bit rash and leggy too. That would be my primary concern.

However the alternate is to play a positive game and not worry about Gerard, which will see Malouda take a central role again I'd imagine. JT will probably come back into the defence with Ivanovic probably taking the right back slot.

So far this season Chelsea have;
* Played the 'big four' six times and won all six.
* Scored 93 goals, and are in with a chance of breaking United's 97 goal record.
* Scored 7 goals on three occasions against decent oppostion, two of which are reknowned for the miserly defence.

All this with a manager in his first season in English football.

I am sure the Mancs will argue, and they are entitled to do so, but no matter what happens between now and Sunday week, I believe Chelsea have been the best team in the league this season. Only a bit of silverware required now to mark it.

The best team will be who ever finishes top after 38 games whether it be Chelsea or Utd. That's how a league works, deal with it rather than posting shite about Chelsea deserving it for various reasons.

Minder

Bigfella - Prepare yourself for the shite Ross4life bombards everyone with if Chelsea do win the league, dodgy refs, offside goals, ball wasn't inflated enough. You will need to employ a couple of analysts to wade through it.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Tony Baloney

A hammering of Liverpool is what every right thinking person wants to see. Having said that there is no point doing the business today if they don't win the last match as I can't imagine Steve Bruce motivating his team to beat United.

ross4life

Quote from: Minder on May 02, 2010, 12:09:47 PM
Bigfella - Prepare yourself for the shite Ross4life bombards everyone with if Chelsea do win the league, dodgy refs, offside goals, ball wasn't inflated enough. You will need to employ a couple of analysts to wade through it.

Bellfella is 100% correct! maybe because it's so long since your lot (20 years & counting) you can't remember what it's like

United have long knocked Liverpool off their perch as top dogs in England & now Spurs,City are taking pools place as one of the so called BIG four teams! now that is the real shite you will have to deal with & analysts that if you will 

P.S Tony the same Bruce team that were 30 seconds away from beating united in Old Trafford
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

ross4life

Quote from: ross4life on April 19, 2010, 12:11:00 AM
i Can't help feeling Chelsea let there foot off the pedal believing the media hype "league is won" Liverpool game will show a true reflection of where this team are

Would just like to point out who was right again  ;)
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

clarshack

ross4life

I'm not sure what Norf & the other Chelsea boys think but if ye had the option of hand picked two teams to play in the Fa cup final & last league game it doesn't get better than Wigan & Portsmouth

Great position to be in for the Double IMO

Shrewdness

More than likely, Chelsea will be the new champions this time next week. As a United fan, i have to say fair play to them. They have suffered with injuries this season to key players as much as any other team. They had to cope without some of their African players whilst the African Nations Cup was on in January, and had to deal with the very unsettling effects of the John Terry Scandal.

Add to this the fact that their manager was totally new to english football, and have won it with practically the same squad that could only finish 3'rd last season.

It pains me to say it, but barring an upset of biblical proportions next Sunday, Chelsea will be worthy champions.

Farrandeelin

Ah feck it, the league is over. Wigan are worse than Liverpool for God's sake. Enjoy the summer, cos ye will be up there to be shot at again.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Shrewdness on May 02, 2010, 07:02:08 PM
More than likely, Chelsea will be the new champions this time next week. As a United fan, i have to say fair play to them. They have suffered with injuries this season to key players as much as any other team. They had to cope without some of their African players whilst the African Nations Cup was on in January, and had to deal with the very unsettling effects of the John Terry Scandal.

Add to this the fact that their manager was totally new to english football, and have won it with practically the same squad that could only finish 3'rd last season.

It pains me to say it, but barring an upset of biblical proportions next Sunday, Chelsea will be worthy champions.

Fair play Shrewness but you'll never last on here with an attitude like that!

People were telling me all week how bad Liverpool were, but not taking a cheap shot here, they were even worse than I hoped. Chelsea were very nervy early on but settled into the game. In truth some of the chances created should've made today more comfortable.

So it's down to the last day of the season as it was 3 years ago. Already I am having nightmares of an inspired Chris Kirkland, and Titus Bramble becoming the new Franco Baresi.

To put the cherry on top today, Twente lifted the Dutch title with the winning goal scored by Chelsea loan star Miroslav Stoch.

ross4life

Titus Bramble your having a laugh Norf  :D 1/10 chelsea are with Paddy power now for the title
& don't forget United & chelsea are both playing teams that have nothing to play for!

Chelsea should have no problem beating Uniteds "most goals scored in a season" 

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: ross4life on May 02, 2010, 10:06:22 PM
Titus Bramble your having a laugh Norf  :D 1/10 chelsea are with Paddy power now for the title
& don't forget United & chelsea are both playing teams that have nothing to play for!

Chelsea should have no problem beating Uniteds "most goals scored in a season"

IIRC Titus was man of the match earlier in the season as Wigan destroyed Cheslea.