The Official Thread of Chelsea FC

Started by Norf Tyrone, January 23, 2007, 11:16:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Some achievement by Chelsea to maintain such a strong title bid with the injuries they have and the off the field problems with Terry. I tip my hat to them.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Doogie Browser

the missus woke me up this morning, she said, ''Get up, its eight'' I said, ''Oh f**k, have Chelsea scored again?''

Norf Tyrone

Here we go then!

All the talk all week has been wall to wall coverage of Rooney's injury. Most commentators ignoring the Chelsea injury crisis in defence, but that's the way it seems to be these days. Ah well.

In truth, I am not sure if Rooney's absence will have a bearing on the game at all. It might be insipre mssrs Berbatov, Fletcher, Nani et all to raise their game and try to prove that they too can be 'big game players'. In addition, I don't recall Rooney having too many big games against Chelsea, although I stand to be corrected.

I still stand by last week's musings in that I think the game will be largely decided down the Chelsea left. Zhirkov has looked really dangerous going forward the last two or three games, but suspect at the back. Malouda has been in the form of his life the last month or so. Both up against Valencia, who I'd describe as dangerous but not the devastating a la Ronaldo, and Neville, who is experienced, but may be still wandering around looking for Ribery.

However the other side of the pitch will also have a big bearing. Evra and Nani up against Fererria and..... well that's where the decisions come in.

Does CA go with Joe Cole, who although has not made a big contribution to date, does give the side better balance, and opens things up. Does he go with Anelka, who has been supreme at times this season, but tends to drift infield too much and unbalances the team. In addition can he run the risk of Anelka going infield and leaving Fererria alone with Evra and Nani?

There is the option to play Anelka up top, and leave Drogba on the bench! Anelka's pace and movement could unsettle Vidic, and bring Lampard into the game much more. However away from home Drogba will be able to hold the ball up more, give the defence some time off, and his defensive abilities are an asset too. However the Ivorian has only one goal against United- all be it the winner in the Cup final.

Decisions, decisions.

I think he'll go with. Cech, Zhirkov, JT, Alex, Ferreria, Malouda, Mikel, Lampard, Ballack or Deco, Anelka and Drogba.

The ref too is also going to be huge factor. Dean has given more penalties than any other this season, and both managers will be aware of this. You might see numerous appeals for anything going in the box. From a Chelsea perspective we recall Dean changing the title race a few years back by incorrectly sending Mikel off at OT, and remember him making Frank retake the peno at Wet Sham three times this season? He is probably the most officious ref in the league, and I can almost guarantee he'll be the headline maker in the morning.

So time for the fun to start, and here is the controversial bit. No matter what the result today, I think Chelsea deserve to win the league, and the most honest of United fans must look in the mirror and wonder how are they still challanging. It's all down to which Chelsea turns up, and does CA get the tactics right today. If he does.... I think Chelsea will win it.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

A Quinn Martin Production

NT...I'm from the old school of the "table does not lie" however if Chelsea do go on to win it, it will be some achievement since they've been shite for most of the season!  Chelsea have played well against the other "good" sides this season and with Rooney out MU's goal threat is somewhat blunted and as long as Chelsea don't stick the ball in their own net their other major goal threat is taken care of too ;) though i thnk Berbatov has overtaken OGs as second top scorer??  Something tells me Chelsea can sneak this 1-0 maybe....
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

That makes things interesting....but still potential for many's the slip twixt cup and lip...

Chelsea's first double over MU in five years. 8)  No team has lost seven games and won the Prem.

Apprently Norf Tyrone is hammered already!!

Dinny Breen

Chelsea well worth the win. Maybe Liverpool away is the only place where they'll drop points but very impressive the last few weeks.
#newbridgeornowhere

ross4life

the Fact that chelsea got 2 chances Scored 2 goals V united one chance one goal made them  deserved winners?

as for norf piece...I think Chelsea deserve to win the league, and the most honest of United fans must look in the mirror and wonder how are they still challanging

has been nothing between both teams all season both average at best

but i'm not gonna wait for 5 games

Congrats on your title success today
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Minder

Ferguson has nothing on Ross4life when it comes to mind games 
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

gawa316

Quote from: Minder on April 03, 2010, 05:31:52 PM

The old reverse pyschology nugget ;)

ross4life

Quote from: Minder on April 03, 2010, 05:31:52 PM

yeah right  ::) i have been right for most of season "this is one time i hope i'm wrong"

but Results like that today always win's titles
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Norf Tyrone

Well, well, well.

Another twist in the title race! Hopefully the last.

Without blowing my own trumpet, a fair bit of my preview above was on the money, with Malouda's victory over Neville and co having a big bearing on the game. In the first half Chelsea played with a patient tempo, that United could not cope with. The second half saw a bit more aggression from the Mancs, but they created precious few chances for the champions at home.

As for the other part of my preview the ref will probably make most of the headlines tomorrow. If you recall back in 2007, the same ref officiated the same fixture, incorrectly sent off Mikel, and allowed Tevez to score after injury time had elapsed. Today he had another stinker.

In order;

The Zhirkov challange on Park- Should've been a penalty. However if you watch it from Dean's angle again it looked like a dive.
Neville on Anelka- Clear penalty.
Lampard on Berbatov- No penalty.
Malouda handball- Definately not, as it hit his chest.
Drogba goal- Offside quite easilly.
Macheda goal- Definately handled, but it would've been a tight one for the ref to see, as it happened in a crowded box at pace.

So 2 right and 4 wrong! In addition he allowed Scholes and Neville to commit several fouls before carding them, and missed one terrible tackle by Ferdinand on Malouda when he scissor swiped him. Not a good day for him!

All in all, I thought Chelsea edged the game, and maybe just about had enough in the locker to win it.

Next up is Villa in the semi final next Saturday, but I still feel the 2009-10 league roller coaster has a few corners to turn yet.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone