The Official Thread of Chelsea FC

Started by Norf Tyrone, January 23, 2007, 11:16:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A Quinn Martin Production

Have to be quick here...no complaints. well beaten by a better team over both games.  But I have to say last night was the worst performance by a Chelsea team I can remember in a long time.  Slow, ponderous, no creativity, first touch poor, second touch worse, passing awful (how many passes went to a team mate at knee height or to an Inter player??), out muscled by Inter too.  Chelsea players looked like they were crapping themselves for the first half hour.  Only Turnbull can hold his head up, he did nothing wrong.  Missed the Drogba sending off so can't comment yet.  Chelsea out played and out fought.  On that performance It's Villa for the Cup and MU for the league!

Man Of The Tie...Javier Zanetti...head and shoulders above anyone else on the pitch, hardly put a foot wrong over the 180 mins...not bad for a 52 year old ;D

On a more general point, football at the moment is of a very poor standard if AC Milan and Chlesea are two of the top 16 in Europe.  The match was actually very poor.  Also we saw yet more examples of soccer moving towards becoming virtually a non contact sport.  Some of the frees given to both sides were nothing short of ridiculous.
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

Main Street

I'd agree with much of that QM. But I would not call that a poor match. It was about Inter and one of the most complete back 4 (or back 6) performances in a long time. Chelsea were surgically taken apart and painfully rendered impotent.
There was not much to Drogba's little stamp but the ref was looking at him and not where the ball was out on the wing. Full marks to that piece of officiating.

nrico2006

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 17, 2010, 02:16:42 AM
Realistically Mourinho beat the team he built. He knew how to counter them because they were his players.

How much have Chelsea evolved since he left?

How much of 'Mourinho's Team' were there before he arrived?  I know he bought Drogba but alot of the main men in Chelsea's Title Winning seasons were already there before he arrived.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Norf Tyrone

Just back from a week in France, so only getting a chance to post now. Haven't read through the predictable last few pages.

Chelsea have made it handy for me in that they have produced two similar dispalys which makes it handy for me to sum up!

However first things first, and I am sure some of you will be keyboard comedians, but Chelsea's luck with respect to officials in the Champions league is shocking, and I very much agree with John Terry's sentiments on this over the weekend.

If what has happened to Chelsea over the last few seasons happened to one of the other so-called big sides of England they'd be a massive storm kicked up. The Kakuta incident, which people ignored is the tip of a very strange iceberg.

Look at their CL exits over the years. Monaco 2004 and the key goal over the two legs is punched into the net by the Monaco attacker, the ghost goal (I know, I know Cech etc), Friskagate where UEFA stated that Rijkaard had broken the rules, and then fined Mourinho, the failure to send Rio off in the CL final, last year's gross incompetance from Overbo, the Kalou incident in the first leg at the San Siro, and then Tuesday night's refereeing display!

He had four big calls on Tuesday night, and missed three of them. The one he spotted was the only one that was against Chelsea.

I appreciate that sometimes you'll get decisions, sometimes you'll not, but continually under UEFA's officiating we've lost out time after time. Take this, the Kakuta incident, and the fact that a leading UEFA official called Mourinho 'the enemy of football', and this was acceptable, and you wonder.

Anyhow. Parking all that. The performance itself- and today's for that matter- was devoid of ideas, leggy, and what looked like zero tactical inspiration. It looks like we have ran out of steam at the worst possible time, and this may be rash, but an overhaul of the playing staff may be required.

Time and time again, I have stated that Chelsea's width and invention is almost entirely focused on bombing wing backs. With Cole and Bosingwa injured, we have self annuled most of that threat. That's a bit of bad luck, but at the same time there should be a plan B.

Which takes me to Gael Kakuta. The lad's an obvious talent, and he could provide us with the Macheda affect this year. However his absence from the match day squad time after time is a curious one. The rumour is that the whole UEFA inquiry has put a lot of pressure on the lad, and that Chelsea are protecting him. If this is true fine, but a subs spot, and threw on for the last five minutes when inspiration is needed is an option surely. He is one of the few squad players to give us that wee bit of invention and creation.

It looks like we are going to have to go to OT and win now, which is no small task, and we've still another few games along the way which are far from easy.

As a closing positive, the youths won their away leg in the FA youth cup 1-0, so at least there is still something positive to report!!
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Norf Tyrone

FA youth Cup 2nd leg- Chelsea 4 Blackburn 0

The future's bright.....  :P

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on March 22, 2010, 09:31:35 PM
FA youth Cup 2nd leg- Chelsea 4 Blackburn 0

The future's bright.....  :P

First Bosingwa, then Essien, then Cole...now Slava Ivanovic out for at least a month...Chelsea not having too much luck here!

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Crisis...what crisis.  Cheslea win all remaining games and a first double is theirs. ;)  I was looking at some stats last night...sad I know.  As we all know from some media outlets Man Utd have played all the football that we've seen this season and Wayne Rooney is a shoo-in for player of the year.

In the League Chelsea have scored 75 goals to Man Utd's 72
Man Utd have conceded 25 to Chelsea's 28

Wayne Rooney has scored 26 goals in 29 appearances
Didier Drogba has scored 24 goals from 26 appearances

Rooney is a much better player outside the box than Drogba
Drogba is a much better defender than Rooney

And Chelsea have been shite for most of the season ???

Is the general standard this season poor, are MU not as good as some people say, or are Chelsea better than they've been given credit for or a combination of some/all of these....

AFS

Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on March 25, 2010, 09:40:16 AM
Crisis...what crisis.  Cheslea win all remaining games and a first double is theirs. ;)  I was looking at some stats last night...sad I know. As we all know from some media outlets Man Utd have played all the football that we've seen this season and Wayne Rooney is a shoo-in for player of the year.

In the League Chelsea have scored 75 goals to Man Utd's 72
Man Utd have conceded 25 to Chelsea's 28

Wayne Rooney has scored 26 goals in 29 appearances
Didier Drogba has scored 24 goals from 26 appearances

Rooney is a much better player outside the box than Drogba
Drogba is a much better defender than Rooney

And Chelsea have been shite for most of the season ???

Is the general standard this season poor, are MU not as good as some people say, or are Chelsea better than they've been given credit for or a combination of some/all of these....

Short memory. It's only a month or two ago that United were a useless, one man team and Chelsea were certs for the title. Look back on any of the football thread here for confirmation of this.

Norf Tyrone

Funny game last night, were 5-0 was a bit flattering on a Chelsea that huffed and puffed. However for me we looked much better when Joe Cole came on. Despite Cole not being overly involved, we looked so much better balance with a trio of Malouda, Drogba and Joe Cole. Suddenly Pompey's back four were strecthed and Lampard got into the game more.

Carlo take note.

We also got a bit of luck for a change last night, with Pompey having a good free kick shout turned down, and within 30 seconds James hitting the air shot!

Also good to see another 'youf' getting 30 minutes last night, with Patrick Van Aarnholt looking like a young Ashley Cole as he bombed forward.

Re the Drogba/ Rooney comparison.

Fairly detailed article here, with an interesting paragraph taken out.

http://www.bridgeviews.co.uk/

Drogba's record so far against teams higher in the table is impressive: 23% of his goals have come against top four opposition. Rooney has only scored three goals against the top four (12%). In total, less than a third (31%) of Rooney's goals have come against teams in the top half of the league. While Rooney still has an opportunity to score against Chelsea to come, Drogba will face both United and Liverpool before the season is through.

Although for some reason Chelsea's better performances have come against other so-called "Big Three" teams and also Liverpool, while they have struggled against shite like Blackburn & Wigan

AFS

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on March 25, 2010, 09:59:47 AM
Re the Drogba/ Rooney comparison.

Fairly detailed article here, with an interesting paragraph taken out.

http://www.bridgeviews.co.uk/

Drogba's record so far against teams higher in the table is impressive: 23% of his goals have come against top four opposition. Rooney has only scored three goals against the top four (12%). In total, less than a third (31%) of Rooney's goals have come against teams in the top half of the league. While Rooney still has an opportunity to score against Chelsea to come, Drogba will face both United and Liverpool before the season is through.

Norf Tyrone

Before the game I would've gladly taken a scruffy 1-0 win. However to get three points AND boost the goal differance AND afford to rest Drogba makes it a near pefect result.

Again it's no coincidence that a regular 4-3-3 is employed and the result is as positive as it was. Credit to some of the support roles today i.e. Zhirkov, and Deco. The Russian was fantastic bursting forward, however I'd be nervous over his defending, and he lost Carew for the goal today.
Next week's game will be largely influenced by the battle between Malouda/ Zhirkov against Neville/ Valencia.

The other BIG decision CA has next Saturday is his centre forward. When Drogba plays we tend to knock it long quicker, and sometimes that isolates the Ivorian from the support players.
However with Anelka there, it's a much more patient, complex build up. It allows Malouda, and Lampard time to get forward and support.

It's an interesting dilema for next Saturday morning!

Interesting, interesting.

EC Unique

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on March 28, 2010, 02:18:58 AM
Before the game I would've gladly taken a scruffy 1-0 win. However to get three points AND boost the goal differance AND afford to rest Drogba makes it a near pefect result.

Again it's no coincidence that a regular 4-3-3 is employed and the result is as positive as it was. Credit to some of the support roles today i.e. Zhirkov, and Deco. The Russian was fantastic bursting forward, however I'd be nervous over his defending, and he lost Carew for the goal today.
Next week's game will be largely influenced by the battle between Malouda/ Zhirkov against Neville/ Valencia.The other BIG decision CA has next Saturday is his centre forward. When Drogba plays we tend to knock it long quicker, and sometimes that isolates the Ivorian from the support players.
However with Anelka there, it's a much more patient, complex build up. It allows Malouda, and Lampard time to get forward and support.

It's an interesting dilema for next Saturday morning!

Interesting, interesting.

If the out come was based only on this then, on current form, I think Utd would just edge it.

Chelsea really need to go for the win where as Utd would not be too dissapointed with a draw.

Interesting indeed.