The Official Thread of Chelsea FC

Started by Norf Tyrone, January 23, 2007, 11:16:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

ONeill

This urban myth is gathering a wee bit of moss.

ONeill

Norf Tyrone

Been to Stamford Bridge many, many times since my first visit in 1994, and have never had a bother. Spent most of that time sitting in the infamous shed too!

There was an elemant of Chelsea fans who twinned (Or was it tripled) themselves with Rangers and Linfield in the past, but that's now few in fair between.

In fact in the mid to late 70s, Chelsea fans tended to follow Celtic as a second club. Two things acted as a catalyst for that. The first being that Chelsea's traditional rivals have always been QPR, and therefore a natural opposite of the 'Rangers' was Celtic.

The second, and which really cemented it, was the transfer of David Hay to Chelsea from Celtic. Hay became a bit of a cult hero to the Chelsea fans. Indeed a most common fashion piece around Chelsea was a half/ half Chelsea/ Celtic hat! I kid you not. In fact you wil still see the very odd one floating about!

However when the IRA started bombing England in the late 70s, early 80s this flirtation with Celtic and Irishness evaporated. Chelsea being a tradionally posh part of the world, started to attract NF and C18 sympathisers due to it's geographical affluence, and the blue and white colours which at times (Not a club tradition) had a trimming of red. This in turn evolved in to the 'Blues brothers' trend that the 80s and 90s had.

Thankfully 95% of this has gone now. No objection to Linfield and Rangers as such from me, but people who followed the triumvriate had strong political leanings.

As stated, I have never had an issue on any visit to SB. In fact the only time I suffered from secterian abuse at a football match was at a Celtic/ Raith cup final... from Celtic fans!!
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

A Quinn Martin Production

Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

Norf Tyrone

Would you not be bettwe joining this group O'Neill?

[urlhttp://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/group.php?gid=127247621506&ref=search&sid=592853454.1305152146..1][/url]

ONeill

I'd say being called 'the Blues' is probably a big factor too. I'd see a lot of Cavan GAA fans with Rangers, Chelsea and Linfield regalia at matches.

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on February 06, 2010, 05:41:33 PM
Been to Stamford Bridge many, many times since my first visit in 1994, and have never had a bother. Spent most of that time sitting in the infamous shed too!

There was an elemant of Chelsea fans who twinned (Or was it tripled) themselves with Rangers and Linfield in the past, but that's now few in fair between.

In fact in the mid to late 70s, Chelsea fans tended to follow Celtic as a second club. Two things acted as a catalyst for that. The first being that Chelsea's traditional rivals have always been QPR, and therefore a natural opposite of the 'Rangers' was Celtic.

The second, and which really cemented it, was the transfer of David Hay to Chelsea from Celtic. Hay became a bit of a cult hero to the Chelsea fans. Indeed a most common fashion piece around Chelsea was a half/ half Chelsea/ Celtic hat! I kid you not. In fact you wil still see the very odd one floating about!

However when the IRA started bombing England in the late 70s, early 80s this flirtation with Celtic and Irishness evaporated. Chelsea being a tradionally posh part of the world, started to attract NF and C18 sympathisers due to it's geographical affluence, and the blue and white colours which at times (Not a club tradition) had a trimming of red. This in turn evolved in to the 'Blues brothers' trend that the 80s and 90s had.

Thankfully 95% of this has gone now. No objection to Linfield and Rangers as such from me, but people who followed the triumvriate had strong political leanings.

As stated, I have never had an issue on any visit to SB. In fact the only time I suffered from secterian abuse at a football match was at a Celtic/ Raith cup final... from Celtic fans!!

I nearly had my jaw broke in the Hatfield Bar.  Smacked by a guy in a Celtic shirt who said I "looked like a Prod"!!  Give me the shed any day!!

Quote from: ONeill on February 06, 2010, 05:46:31 PM
I'd say being called 'the Blues' is probably a big factor too. I'd see a lot of Cavan GAA fans with Rangers, Chelsea and Linfield regalia at matches.

Not forgetting Crossmaglen!!

ONeill

bonaduche

Quote from: bonaduche on February 06, 2010, 07:35:03 PM
Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on February 06, 2010, 05:30:21 PM
Quote from: ONeill on February 06, 2010, 05:25:31 PM
Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on February 06, 2010, 12:24:01 PM
Quote from: ONeill on February 06, 2010, 11:12:02 AM
It's the older generation who have that perception. I wasn't about but it was said that Rangers/Linfield/Chelsea had some kind of sectarian allegience in the 70s/80

the story goes from my father        one of the main chants years ago at stamford bridge was a song      Im forever blowing bubbles......repuditaly this is the song the black and tans sung at the hanging of roddy macorley  at toombridge  the two incidents were always inexplicably linked here in the six counties by an older generation       but things have moved on  thank god

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: bonaduche on February 06, 2010, 07:42:22 PM
It's the older generation who have that perception. I wasn't about but it was said that Rangers/Linfield/Chelsea had some kind of sectarian allegience in the 70s/80

the story goes from my father        one of the main chants years ago at stamford bridge was a song      Im forever blowing bubbles......repuditaly this is the song the black and tans sung at the hanging of roddy macorley  at toombridge  the two incidents were always inexplicably linked here in the six counties by an older generation       but things have moved on  thank god

Yeah that's true. There is nothing Chelsea fans like more than singing West Ham anthems!  ::)

Quote from: bonaduche on February 06, 2010, 07:42:22 PM

You're not far wrong there!!

Norf Tyrone

Rumour has it there is a match on today.

And a big game for both sides it is too. Arsenal will be keen to get back into the race, after their mauling last Sunday. While Chelsea's dropped midweek points, coupled with the media spotlight of the last 10 days, ensures that they too are under pressure for a win.

My first thought after last Sunday was of a winded animal, from Wenger's men and boys. Hopefully Chelsea's result on Tuesday gives them renewed vigour. On Tuesday they looked like a team under the glare of the media, and saddled with it. Today is time for Lampard, Dogba, and John Terry to stand up and lead the team for 90 minutes.

With both sides, almost needing a win this game could get spicey.

Thankfully Ashley Cole is back today. Up in Hull on Tuesday, he transformed the side when he came on with about 10-15 minutes to go. I can appreciate the calls for POTY from Team Rooney, but down Chelsea way, the calls will be as loud from Team Ashley and Team Anelka for the same title.

Mikel's African return will add a bit of freshness to a midfield which has struggled recently. Ballack I don't think has the energy for 2 games a week, and Deco should not be allowed near a cold Tueday in Hull, or a big derby in February either.  However with Belletti, and Essien crocked, it'll probably be Ballack and Lampard in the centre with Mikel behind. The problem is keeping an eye on Fabregas. Lampard is too important to do the job, Ballack has not got the legs, with Mikel will probably pick up a mandatory first half yellow card, which will put him under pressure.

Hopefully Malouda, Drogba and Anelka up top.

Should be fun...............