The Official Thread of Chelsea FC

Started by Norf Tyrone, January 23, 2007, 11:16:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

John Terry has been a bold boy again I hear. Throwing one into Wayne Bridges missus (allegedly).
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Minder on January 29, 2010, 02:55:44 PM
John Terry has been a bold boy again I hear. Throwing one into Wayne Bridges missus (allegedly).

What a guy.

QuoteAnother controversial superinjunction was overturned today as the England captain John Terry emerged as the footballer who obtained a gagging order preventing the publication of allegations about his private life.

It follows the Trafigura affair in October, when an oil trading company tried to use a pre-existing superinjunction – which prevents even the existence of an injunction from being known – to stop the Guardian reporting a parliamentary question until the subsequent outcry forced Trafigura and their lawyers to back down.

Lawyers for Terry succeeded in applying for a high court injunction on Friday last week, having learnt that a Sunday newspaper – believed to be the News of the World – planned to write about his private life.

Under the terms of a superinjunction agreed by a high court judge on privacy grounds, newspaper groups were unable to reveal who had applied to stop the story coming out. But today the judge, Mr Justice Tugendhat, lifted the injunction altogether.

"I do not consider that an interim injunction is necessary or proportionate having regard to the level of gravity of the interference with the private life of the applicant that would occur in the event that there is a publication of the fact of the relationship, or that [the applicant] can rely in this case on the interference with the private life of anyone else," he said.

Although the judge did not name Terry in his order, the Guardian can reveal that he was the player who made the application.

And while the injunction did not cite a specific paper, the judge said that the evidence named News Group Newspapers (NGN), the publisher of the News of the World.

Although the terms of the injunction held until 2pm today, details about it had started to leak, first in yesterday's Daily Telegraph, which referred to an unnamed Premier League footballer, and then on Twitter.

The judge criticised Terry's lawyers, Schillings, for not giving newspapers notice of the action they were taking.

"Notice has not been given to any newspaper when it should have been and, as a result, I have not had the benefit of arguments in opposition to the application, which might have assisted me to be satisfied of the matters of which I am not satisfied," he said.

He rejected their argument that they had not notified anyone of the application because their client did not know of any media organisation with a "specific interest in the story".

"The evidence shows that NGN were intending to publish a story about [the applicant] on the Sunday ... In my judgment the interest that NGN did show in publishing a story meant that they should have been given notice."

He also mentioned a letter sent by the Guardian that "illustrates the importance of open justice in a case such as the present one".

The use of the superinjunction is likely to reignite the debate about the use of human rights legislation by public figures to prevent stories being placed into the public domain.

Critics say a number of rulings based on the 1998 Human Rights Act have effectively created a privacy law in the UK, which has always shied away from passing legislation to protect the rich and powerful.

In a landmark case in 2008, high court judge Mr Justice Eady ruled that the News of the World had breached the privacy of Formula One boss Max Mosley. The paper had to pay Mosley damages.

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: Doogie Browser on January 29, 2010, 03:27:24 PM
Another reason to hate Cashley today too

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/8486666.stm

Cole claimed the papparazzi were chasing him...what were they driving, Ferraris??

Another reason to hate Ashley Cole...he's playing brilliantly for Chelsea! :)
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

Quote from: Minder on January 29, 2010, 02:55:44 PM

I heard about three or four years ago from a mate involved in journalism in London that it's well known in media circles that Terry can't keep it in his trousers >:(

Doogie Browser

Quote from: full back on January 29, 2010, 03:59:52 PM

Why would this make you hate him even more?  ???
Sorry, I must have put the wrong words in, I meant to type Ashley Cole is a perfect human being, a beacon of hope in an otherwise tainted world.  In fact I would go far as to say he is the new Pel.. ;)

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Doogie Browser on January 29, 2010, 04:12:23 PM

Sorry, I must have put the wrong words in, I meant to type Ashley Cole is a perfect human being, a beacon of hope in an otherwise tainted world.  In fact I would go far as to say he is the new Pel.. ;)

Had Aston Villa not got issues with their manager speeding a few years back? He would've beat Cole in a race he was going so fast. Anyhow that Cole story is agggggeesss old. About time you caught up DB!  ;)

Re JT. I heard this story on Wednesday. Again, who knows if it's true or not. Probably. He's being a bit of a dick, with the situations he gets himself into, but the NOTW have it in for him BIG time.
To be fair, it's unusal for JT not to keep a clean sheet.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on January 29, 2010, 08:05:55 PM
Quote from: Doogie Browser on January 29, 2010, 04:12:23 PM

Had Aston Villa not got issues with their manager speeding a few years back? He would've beat Cole in a race he was going so fast. Anyhow that Cole story is agggggeesss old. About time you caught up DB!  ;)

Re JT. I heard this story on Wednesday. Again, who knows if it's true or not. Probably. He's being a bit of a dick, with the situations he gets himself into, but the NOTW have it in for him BIG time.
To be fair, it's unusal for JT not to keep a clean sheet.

:D
#newbridgeornowhere

ONeill

Henry Winter: When I heard that Ashley Cole had asked for 21 days to pay off a speeding fine I almost drove off the road
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

The Watcher Pat

£15 -300 fine "to reflect his income"...

Lucky David dein didn't phone him then ...Last time he phoned him he nearly crashed his car because he only offered him £65000 a week..

Cashley Cole and Cheryl Greedy!! Well matched!
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

We have to bear in mind that most professional footballers are complete tossers!!

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on January 30, 2010, 10:10:34 AM
We have to bear in mind that most professional footballers are complete t**sers!!

Ya but Cole is bigger one than most.

under the bar

QuoteWe have to bear in mind that most professional footballers are complete t**sers!!

He also has one of those faces you'd never get tired of kicking...

Quote from: under the bar on January 30, 2010, 12:01:28 PM
QuoteWe have to bear in mind that most professional footballers are complete t**sers!!

He also has one of those faces you'd never get tired of kicking...

A bit like Cliff Richard ;D