The Official Thread of Chelsea FC

Started by Norf Tyrone, January 23, 2007, 11:16:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross4life

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on December 06, 2009, 01:12:08 AM
A bit of reality biting now. I think today's result will suggest that Chelsea are not quite ready to streak clear in the Premiership, but at the same time not ready to drop out of the top four. Still think we will be there or thereabouts.

I was a bit 'concerned' when I seen our midfield today. Essien, Lampard, Ballack and Deco lacks pace and legs when played in the way they lined out. In truth they were over run for a fair portion of the game, with a special nod to the excellent Nigel De Jong. Wright Phillips also had a decent outing.

Lampard's poor form continues. However I still think CA should continue to name him, to play him through his dip. To do this though he needs Essien in the engine room alongside him, and I'd suggest Malouda at the tip for that wee bit of pace, and energy. Mikel or even Ballack behind to do the holding role. It was also a rare off day for Drogba and Anelka.

Chelsea though arguably deserved a point with the stats even pointing to Chelsea edging the shot and posession stats.

I am trying not to get into a rant about the ref today, but he was shocking. I'll not even list the decisions he got wrong, but he spent a good 60 seconds telling the City players to stay out of the box for the penalty kick- as Lampard waited- and then let Given come 4 yards off his line to save, and De Jong- inside the box when kick was taken- clears.

The ref's performance really frustrated the Chelsea players, and Chelsea's 6 yellows for 17 fouls, to City's 1 yellow for 14 fouls echoes that.

Long way to go, but if I was offered 15 points out of 18 from games that included United (H), City (A) and Arsenal (A) I'd have taken it.

The last time City beat Chelsea, the league went to SW6.

hmm interesting comments coming from you, did you really believe Chelsea would streak clear in the Premiership v a man united team that has won 3 titles in a row? but i still believe it's a two horse race! but this season will by the lowest points total for sometime with the league winners losing 5/6 games

Alan Hansen on the Match of the day blame Petr cech for the three league defeats so far ::) when we lost our 3rd game of the season to Chelsea, Hansen said to many to win the premiership ::)

looking at the upcoming fixture lists for both Chelsea & man united i will be expecting them to both streak clear of the rest ;)
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Archie Mitchell

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on December 06, 2009, 12:30:04 PM
Watch the penalty again from the moment it was awarded until it was taken. Watch the ref. Watch were Given is, and what Webb is doing at that point, and watch the defenders who clear the ball.

Watched it again there on MOTD 2. There was 2 City players and 1 Chelsea player just in the box as Lampard was hitting the penalty. Given was 1 yard off his line. Lescott, who cleared the ball after the save, was outisde the D when the penalty was being taken. See image below  ;) (quality isn't the best though)

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on December 06, 2009, 11:01:36 PM
Quote from: Norf Tyrone on December 06, 2009, 12:30:04 PM
Watch the penalty again from the moment it was awarded until it was taken. Watch the ref. Watch were Given is, and what Webb is doing at that point, and watch the defenders who clear the ball.

Watched it again there on MOTD 2. There was 2 City players and 1 Chelsea player just in the box as Lampard was hitting the penalty. Given was 1 yard off his line. Lescott, who cleared the ball after the save, was outisde the D when the penalty was being taken. See image below  ;) (quality isn't the best though)

As you can see there are 4 City players inside the box, and Given is 1 yard off his line. Note that Lampard still has not taken the kick.

Lescott was inside the box as can be seen clearly from the kick along with who I think is Touré, De Jong and someone else who is being obscured by Deco.

Good man Archie for posting an image to back me up.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: ross4life on December 06, 2009, 02:11:31 PM
Quote from: Norf Tyrone on December 06, 2009, 01:12:08 AM
A bit of reality biting now. I think today's result will suggest that Chelsea are not quite ready to streak clear in the Premiership, but at the same time not ready to drop out of the top four. Still think we will be there or thereabouts.

I was a bit 'concerned' when I seen our midfield today. Essien, Lampard, Ballack and Deco lacks pace and legs when played in the way they lined out. In truth they were over run for a fair portion of the game, with a special nod to the excellent Nigel De Jong. Wright Phillips also had a decent outing.

Lampard's poor form continues. However I still think CA should continue to name him, to play him through his dip. To do this though he needs Essien in the engine room alongside him, and I'd suggest Malouda at the tip for that wee bit of pace, and energy. Mikel or even Ballack behind to do the holding role. It was also a rare off day for Drogba and Anelka.

Chelsea though arguably deserved a point with the stats even pointing to Chelsea edging the shot and posession stats.

I am trying not to get into a rant about the ref today, but he was shocking. I'll not even list the decisions he got wrong, but he spent a good 60 seconds telling the City players to stay out of the box for the penalty kick- as Lampard waited- and then let Given come 4 yards off his line to save, and De Jong- inside the box when kick was taken- clears.

The ref's performance really frustrated the Chelsea players, and Chelsea's 6 yellows for 17 fouls, to City's 1 yellow for 14 fouls echoes that.

Long way to go, but if I was offered 15 points out of 18 from games that included United (H), City (A) and Arsenal (A) I'd have taken it.

The last time City beat Chelsea, the league went to SW6.

hmm interesting comments coming from you, did you really believe Chelsea would streak clear in the Premiership v a man united team that has won 3 titles in a row? but i still believe it's a two horse race! but this season will by the lowest points total for sometime with the league winners losing 5/6 games

Alan Hansen on the Match of the day blame Petr cech for the three league defeats so far ::) when we lost our 3rd game of the season to Chelsea, Hansen said to many to win the premiership ::)

looking at the upcoming fixture lists for both Chelsea & man united i will be expecting them to both streak clear of the rest ;)

I never said that Chelsea would streak clear. I was refering to posters on here and the media who tend to get carried away when a team puts together a few wins. Typical media stuff really.

Dinny Breen

QuoteGood man Archie for posting an image to back me up.

School boy error  :D
#newbridgeornowhere

Archie Mitchell

Sorry for not getting the picture right when Lampard struck the ball. All of a few milliseconds too early. Lescott (who cleared the ball, not De Jong) is just about to enter the D, when the ball is struck. I forgot about Toure but he's not technically in the box, but still technically a foul. So Given isn't the 4 yards off his line that you were claiming then? And Deco is also in the box so both teams where as guilty. Would the penalty have been retaken if Lampard scored and Deco was in the box before it was taken? I don't think so.

Nothing school boy about it Dinny, what's school boy is not having the decency and courtesy to shake a fellow managers hand after a game.

Dinny Breen

QuoteNothing school boy about it Dinny, what's school boy is not having the decency and courtesy to shake a fellow managers hand after a game.

Build a bridge lad, build a bridge. Nobody cares.
#newbridgeornowhere

EC Unique

Quote from: Minder on December 06, 2009, 01:19:52 AM
I have to admit.......

I am 100% behind Chelsea this season in their quest for the EPL.

Suppose you have to jump ship to somebody ::)  Good for you.

Archie Mitchell

I still think they will win the league. They were poor on Saturday and City were good. If City were poor as well on Sat then Chelsea likely would have won the game. All teams will have poor games along the season, and this was a kick up the back side that will drive them on, the same way they reacted after the defeat to Aston Villa. 

TheGreatRambo

Thought myself that Given was 2/3 yards off the line when I saw it on MOTD, never noticed the players encroaching to be honest. Be a brave referee to allow him take it again though.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on December 07, 2009, 08:20:20 AM
Sorry for not getting the picture right when Lampard struck the ball. All of a few milliseconds too early. Lescott (who cleared the ball, not De Jong) is just about to enter the D, when the ball is struck. I forgot about Toure but he's not technically in the box, but still technically a foul. So Given isn't the 4 yards off his line that you were claiming then? And Deco is also in the box so both teams where as guilty. Would the penalty have been retaken if Lampard scored and Deco was in the box before it was taken? I don't think so.

Nothing school boy about it Dinny, what's school boy is not having the decency and courtesy to shake a fellow managers hand after a game.

Just the six players in the box (Seven adding Deco), and Given at the very least not on his line. I am in joking mode now, but what seriously  gripes me about this is the ref spent at least a minute telling all the City players to stay out of the box, which did not help Lampard. It assisted the offending team. He then ignored the fact that they all came wandering in regardless.

And I know it happens all the time.

I have always had a bee in my bonnet about this, as I have only seen one penalty retaken (I am sure there have been more) for the keeper coming off his line, and that was Cudicini at Anfield a few seasons back.

A Quinn Martin Production

Any truth in the rumour that Shay is offering Chelsea a replay?? ;)
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

Archie Mitchell

Your photo is inaccurate as the ball has already been struck, therefore your argument is null and void ;) and what would Graham Poll know, he has to book a player 3 times before sending them off!

Yeah I get what your saying, the rules are there but never enforced. Same with the old line "if it happened outside the box it would have been a free kick but doesn't get a foul in the box". Also with all the pushing, shirt pulling etc that goes on in the box for free kicks and corners and no foul given. Seems to be part of the game now unfortunately.

On another note away from the City game, I see Fabregas has come out and said that Chelsea are average without Drogba. Yes Drogba is in good form, but to call that team average is a bit silly of him. What would he call his own side then?