The Official Thread of Chelsea FC

Started by Norf Tyrone, January 23, 2007, 11:16:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

QuoteNow I will be the first to admit that Chelsea fans are on rocky ground when it comes to discussing diving :-[ but this is a more general point about referees' consistency.  On Sunday Vela put in a big dive, the ref didn't buy it.

He didn't book anyone for diving on Sunday so he was consistent, stupid comment now if you made the point that he should booked Cole for his blatent jersey pull after only minutes before booking Traore for a less blatent pull well then you might have had a case.
#newbridgeornowhere

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Dinny Breen on December 03, 2009, 11:08:04 AM
QuoteNow I will be the first to admit that Chelsea fans are on rocky ground when it comes to discussing diving :-[ but this is a more general point about referees' consistency.  On Sunday Vela put in a big dive, the ref didn't buy it.

He didn't book anyone for diving on Sunday so he was consistent, stupid comment now if you made the point that he should booked Cole for his blatent jersey pull after only minutes before booking Traore for a less blatent pull well then you might have had a case.

Now no whataboutery Dinny. Sure if Sagny was sent off -as he should've been- after ten minutes etc etc.

Ignore the Vela incident then, and deal with AMQP's point on the whole. I have noticed that refs are very reticent to book people for diving this year. Emerton's example last night being a great example.

As for AMQP's point on Drogba. Totally agree. He has definately curbed his tendancies this season, and long may it last. Also did anyone notice the Ivorian controlling a pass with his arm on Sunday. He immediately stopped, pointed to this arm, making a decision easy for the ref. A different breed altogether!

I'll put my neck on the line and say that Drogba is the best player in the world at the minute.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

A Quinn Martin Production

FFS did you read the whole post?  Was I talking about shirt pulling??  ::)
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on December 03, 2009, 12:22:42 PM

Now no whataboutery Dinny. Sure if Sagny was sent off -as he should've been- after ten minutes etc etc.

Ignore the Vela incident then, and deal with AMQP's point on the whole. I have noticed that refs are very reticent to book people for diving this year. Emerton's example last night being a great example.

As for AMQP's point on Drogba. Totally agree. He has definately curbed his tendancies this season, and long may it last. Also did anyone notice the Ivorian controlling a pass with his arm on Sunday. He immediately stopped, pointed to this arm, making a decision easy for the ref. A different breed altogether!

I'll put my neck on the line and say that Drogba is the best player in the world at the minute.

Prepare to feel the axe NT!!

Dinny Breen

QuoteFFS did you read the whole post?  Was I talking about shirt pulling?? 

No you were talking about diving and singled out an Arsenal player, Drogba, Cole and Lampard all went down just as easily as Vela, Nasri etc, if you want to make a point be objective and not myopic.
#newbridgeornowhere

Dinny Breen

QuoteIgnore the Vela incident then, and deal with AMQP's point on the whole. I have noticed that refs are very reticent to book people for diving this year. Emerton's example last night being a great example.

I'm not going to defend referee's other than every decision they get wrong is put under the microscope, how foolish would they look if they booked a player for diving and there was actually contact. The players have to bear responsibility for their actions and Drogba (self-confessed fan) as amended his ways as has Eboue (self-confessed not a fan). Did Vela dive? probably but there is the doubt that maybe he didn't and I understand why refs don't.

If you igone the persecution complex on this thread this and the Gooners are the two most rationale threads regarding the premiership.
#newbridgeornowhere

Quote from: Dinny Breen on December 03, 2009, 01:10:03 PM
QuoteFFS did you read the whole post?  Was I talking about shirt pulling?? 

No you were talking about diving and singled out an Arsenal player, Drogba, Cole and Lampard all went down just as easily as Vela, Nasri etc, if you want to make a point be objective and not myopic.

Impossible Dinny...unfortunately I've worn glasses since I was seven!  I wasn't trying to single out Vela or Arsenal, every team has its divers and I've been on record criticising Drogba and other Chelsea players and I've amended my original post.

Quote from: Dinny Breen on December 03, 2009, 01:15:49 PM
QuoteIgnore the Vela incident then, and deal with AMQP's point on the whole. I have noticed that refs are very reticent to book people for diving this year. Emerton's example last night being a great example.

I'm not going to defend referee's other than every decision they get wrong is put under the microscope, how foolish would they look if they booked a player for diving and there was actually contact. The players have to bear responsibility for their actions and Drogba (self-confessed fan) as amended his ways as has Eboue (self-confessed not a fan). Did Vela dive? probably but there is the doubt that maybe he didn't and I understand why refs don't.

If you igone the persecution complex on this thread this and the Gooners are the two most rationale threads regarding the premiership.

If a player makes "contact" with another player it does not automatically mean it is a foul.  Otherwise you would not be allowed to tackle.  I agree some people esp in FIFA would like to see soccer become a non-contact sport.  If that's what they want try netball

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Dinny Breen on December 03, 2009, 01:15:49 PM

What the f**k would I talk about then??

Dinny Breen

In fairness AQMP I agree with what you say, I just didn't think you needed to single a young lad like Vela especially in a game where Chelsea won 3-0.

If you want to talk persecution Arsenal are the most fouled team in the Premiership yet have the highest cards to the number of fouls commited ratio, work that one out.

An NT after last years CL semi, your paranoia might have some substance  ;)
#newbridgeornowhere

Norf Tyrone

A bit of reality biting now. I think today's result will suggest that Chelsea are not quite ready to streak clear in the Premiership, but at the same time not ready to drop out of the top four. Still think we will be there or thereabouts.

I was a bit 'concerned' when I seen our midfield today. Essien, Lampard, Ballack and Deco lacks pace and legs when played in the way they lined out. In truth they were over run for a fair portion of the game, with a special nod to the excellent Nigel De Jong. Wright Phillips also had a decent outing.

Lampard's poor form continues. However I still think CA should continue to name him, to play him through his dip. To do this though he needs Essien in the engine room alongside him, and I'd suggest Malouda at the tip for that wee bit of pace, and energy. Mikel or even Ballack behind to do the holding role. It was also a rare off day for Drogba and Anelka.

Chelsea though arguably deserved a point with the stats even pointing to Chelsea edging the shot and posession stats.

I am trying not to get into a rant about the ref today, but he was shocking. I'll not even list the decisions he got wrong, but he spent a good 60 seconds telling the City players to stay out of the box for the penalty kick- as Lampard waited- and then let Given come 4 yards off his line to save, and De Jong- inside the box when kick was taken- clears.

The ref's performance really frustrated the Chelsea players, and Chelsea's 6 yellows for 17 fouls, to City's 1 yellow for 14 fouls echoes that.

Long way to go, but if I was offered 15 points out of 18 from games that included United (H), City (A) and Arsenal (A) I'd have taken it.

The last time City beat Chelsea, the league went to SW6.

Minder

I have to admit.......

I am 100% behind Chelsea this season in their quest for the EPL.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Archie Mitchell

Ah come on now Norf Tyrone, City deserved that win today. Most of Chelsea's bookings were deserved today and Belletti was lucky he wasn't sent off, shocking tackle and alot of dissent. Who cares about players in the box before the pen, matters none as Given saved it and he was never 4 yards off the line. City had no luck in the games before this so they got the luck today. That's football. As Ancelotti said, Chelsea are still top so don't worry about it.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on December 06, 2009, 03:14:16 AM
Ah come on now Norf Tyrone, City deserved that win today. Most of Chelsea's bookings were deserved today and Belletti was lucky he wasn't sent off, shocking tackle and alot of dissent. Who cares about players in the box before the pen, matters none as Given saved it and he was never 4 yards off the line. City had no luck in the games before this so they got the luck today. That's football. As Ancelotti said, Chelsea are still top so don't worry about it.

Credit to City, and they did enough to take the points alright. I thought De Jong was the best player I have seen this year in direct competition to Chelsea.

Chelsea's bookings were bourne of frustration at the referee's performance. Belletti's tackle didn't look that bad in any reply I seen, and it was a genuine 50 50. I can be corrected on that, as the angles that they showed it at were shit.

Watch the penalty again from the moment it was awarded until it was taken. Watch the ref. Watch were Given is, and what Webb is doing at that point, and watch the defenders who clear the ball.

Archie Mitchell

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on December 06, 2009, 12:30:04 PM
Quote from: Archie Mitchell on December 06, 2009, 03:14:16 AM

Credit to City, and they did enough to take the points alright. I thought De Jong was the best player I have seen this year in direct competition to Chelsea.

Chelsea's bookings were bourne of frustration at the referee's performance. Belletti's tackle didn't look that bad in any reply I seen, and it was a genuine 50 50. I can be corrected on that, as the angles that they showed it at were shit.

Watch the penalty again from the moment it was awarded until it was taken. Watch the ref. Watch were Given is, and what Webb is doing at that point, and watch the defenders who clear the ball.

De Jong was immense. Best performance I have seen in a while. He has been City's best player past few games. He is an absolute animal. Currently best player in that position in the premiership. He's not good at going forward like Essien, but he does a fantastic job between the defence and midfield. SWP also had a great game. Back to his best and was a great battle between him and Cole.

Out of Chelsea's bookings, all were well deserved. Then add in the dissent that Ivanovic, Belletti, Cole showed to the referee and they were lucky they wern't sent off. Belletti's challenge was a 50/50, but you can't dive in like that and expect to get away with it.

Yes there was players in the box when the penalty was taken, happens all the time and will happen again. Given was at most 1 yard of the line, what other keeper doesn't do the same?

What about the "corner" in the lead up to Chelsea's goal?