The Official Thread of Chelsea FC

Started by Norf Tyrone, January 23, 2007, 11:16:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGreatRambo

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on November 14, 2009, 09:42:29 PM
Quote from: AFS on November 14, 2009, 06:00:45 PM
I'd have my doubts that he's that seriously injured. Could be very likely that he just didn't fancy a trip to the Ivory Coast to play in a dead rubber.

I doubt there is a footballer in the world who has done more for his country that Drogba, so to say he didn't fancy a trip to his country for a dead rubber is laughable.

What has he done that sets him apart from other players who representing their countries then???

AFS

Quote from: TheGreatRambo on November 15, 2009, 12:27:22 PM
I'd have my doubts that he's that seriously injured. Could be very likely that he just didn't fancy a trip to the Ivory Coast to play in a dead rubber.

I doubt there is a footballer in the world who has done more for his country that Drogba, so to say he didn't fancy a trip to his country for a dead rubber is laughable.

What has he done that sets him apart from other players who representing their countries then???

In fairness Norf has a point, Drogba rarely misses games for the Ivory Coast. However in this instance, their game was irrelevant and took on no more importance than a friendly. My suggestion was that Drogba, maybe not feeling 100%, decided, with some prompting from his club, that he would give this one a miss, especially in light of the fact that he'll be heading off with his country for a month anyway in a few weeks time. I doubt Drogba is above a bit of pragmatism.

TheGreatRambo

Quote from: AFS on November 15, 2009, 12:44:12 PM
Quote from: TheGreatRambo on November 15, 2009, 12:27:22 PM

In fairness Norf has a point, Drogba rarely misses games for the Ivory Coast. However in this instance, their game was irrelevant and took on no more importance than a friendly. My suggestion was that Drogba, maybe not feeling 100%, decided, with some prompting from his club, that he would give this one a miss, especially in light of the fact that he'll be heading off with his country for a month anyway in a few weeks time. I doubt Drogba is above a bit of pragmatism.

i'm not knocking norf or Drogba for that matter, he is a player who seems genuinely interested in and proud to play for his country. I think he may be alluding to him "bringing peace to the country" which I always was a bit sceptical about!!!

Norf Tyrone

I don't believe that Drogba's influence meant he was locked in political talks for weeks on end, but his influence was massive. In addition, I think he has just donated £2.5 million to build a hospital back in IC too. Don't quote me on that though.... yet.

Drogba- The African King

All he said was: "Come to Abidjan, Alex. You will not be disappointed." Ordinarily, when a footballer tells you to jump on a plane and travel thousands of miles to West Africa for an interview, you tend to hesitate. But then Didier Drogba is no ordinary footballer and, as it turned out, this was to be no ordinary interview.

Premiership Fixtures Download
Premiership Transfer Talk | In pics: Summer transfers
Football fans' forum
As soon as I landed in the capital of Drogba's native Ivory Coast, it immediately became apparent just how big a star he was. Almost every street corner housed a giant billboard on which the Chelsea striker advertised everything from chocolate to mobile phones.

It was clear that Drogba was the face of his country; the symbol of a new, post-civil war Ivory Coast. What was yet to emerge, however, was his pivotal role in bringing about that peace.

Civil war had been raging for five years when, moments after leading his nation to the 2006 World Cup finals in Germany back in October 2005, Drogba picked up a microphone in the dressing room and, surrounded by his team-mates, fell to his knees live on national television. He begged both warring factions to lay down their arms and, within a week, his bold wish had been granted. "It was just something I did instinctively," he explained. "All the players hated what was happening to our country and reaching the World Cup was the perfect emotional wave on which to ride."

The culmination of the peace process came on the second day of my trip, when the White Elephants played an African Nations Cup qualifier against Madagascar in Bouake, the old rebel stronghold about 300 kilometres north of Abidjan.

"Seeing both leaders side by side for the national anthems was very special," Didier said. "I felt then that that the Ivory Coast was born again."

I had been totally unaware of Didier's incredible feat until I began talking to people in Abidjan. At no point had he mentioned, let alone boasted, about his political involvement. I wondered why he had not spoken about this before, especially when the British press had been on his back? "I don't feel I need to say anything to anybody about who I am in Africa," Drogba replied. "I know what I stand for and that is all that matters."

Had he not, though, sometimes wanted to bite back when his integrity on the field had been called into question? "Honestly," he said, "it doesn't bother me what I get accused of. The people who mean most to me know what I am really about."

Many footballers have used their influence to great effect in recent years, whether by putting their name to an inner city project or sponsoring a charity, but none has ever stopped a country tearing itself apart. Truth be told, no other player could. Drogba is a god to the Ivorian people, not just because he is a famous footballer, but also because he is someone who speaks for the masses. He is in tune with the average Ivorian. "Of course," he said, "because above all I am one of them."

On the way to the house where he grew up in the suburbs of Abidjan, he told me that he could cope without money; that he could easily give up all the trappings of wealth and return to a humble life back home. Before my trip, I would have doubted him. But today I am sure he was being truthful.

Of course Drogba enjoys his lifestyle, but that does not mean he is detached from the world around him. "The money came after my education," he said, "after I became a man."

Arjen Robben set to join Real Madrid for £25m
Jose Mourinho: English benefit from foreigners
Blog: Fantasy Football auction
When standing on the balcony of his ancestral home, looking down on the thousands of cheering locals who had assembled as soon as word got out that he was in the village, Didier looked visibly moved. "There are no words to express how I feel right now," he said. "This is love."

However, he did manage to describe his emotions after the ceasefire agreement. "I have won many trophies in my time," he explained, "but nothing will ever top helping win the battle for peace in my country. I am so proud because today in the Ivory Coast we do not need a piece of silverware to celebrate."
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on November 15, 2009, 01:55:53 PM
I don't believe that Drogba's influence meant he was locked in political talks for weeks on end, but his influence was massive. In addition, I think he has just donated £2.5 million to build a hospital back in IC too. Don't quote me on that though.... yet.

Drogba- The African King

All he said was: "Come to Abidjan, Alex. You will not be disappointed." Ordinarily, when a footballer tells you to jump on a plane and travel thousands of miles to West Africa for an interview, you tend to hesitate. But then Didier Drogba is no ordinary footballer and, as it turned out, this was to be no ordinary interview.

Football fans' forum
As soon as I landed in the capital of Drogba's native Ivory Coast, it immediately became apparent just how big a star he was. Almost every street corner housed a giant billboard on which the Chelsea striker advertised everything from chocolate to mobile phones.

It was clear that Drogba was the face of his country; the symbol of a new, post-civil war Ivory Coast. What was yet to emerge, however, was his pivotal role in bringing about that peace.

Civil war had been raging for five years when, moments after leading his nation to the 2006 World Cup finals in Germany back in October 2005, Drogba picked up a microphone in the dressing room and, surrounded by his team-mates, fell to his knees live on national television. He begged both warring factions to lay down their arms and, within a week, his bold wish had been granted. "It was just something I did instinctively," he explained. "All the players hated what was happening to our country and reaching the World Cup was the perfect emotional wave on which to ride."

The culmination of the peace process came on the second day of my trip, when the White Elephants played an African Nations Cup qualifier against Madagascar in Bouake, the old rebel stronghold about 300 kilometres north of Abidjan.

"Seeing both leaders side by side for the national anthems was very special," Didier said. "I felt then that that the Ivory Coast was born again."

I had been totally unaware of Didier's incredible feat until I began talking to people in Abidjan. At no point had he mentioned, let alone boasted, about his political involvement. I wondered why he had not spoken about this before, especially when the British press had been on his back? "I don't feel I need to say anything to anybody about who I am in Africa," Drogba replied. "I know what I stand for and that is all that matters."

Had he not, though, sometimes wanted to bite back when his integrity on the field had been called into question? "Honestly," he said, "it doesn't bother me what I get accused of. The people who mean most to me know what I am really about."

Many footballers have used their influence to great effect in recent years, whether by putting their name to an inner city project or sponsoring a charity, but none has ever stopped a country tearing itself apart. Truth be told, no other player could. Drogba is a god to the Ivorian people, not just because he is a famous footballer, but also because he is someone who speaks for the masses. He is in tune with the average Ivorian. "Of course," he said, "because above all I am one of them."

On the way to the house where he grew up in the suburbs of Abidjan, he told me that he could cope without money; that he could easily give up all the trappings of wealth and return to a humble life back home. Before my trip, I would have doubted him. But today I am sure he was being truthful.

Of course Drogba enjoys his lifestyle, but that does not mean he is detached from the world around him. "The money came after my education," he said, "after I became a man."

When standing on the balcony of his ancestral home, looking down on the thousands of cheering locals who had assembled as soon as word got out that he was in the village, Didier looked visibly moved. "There are no words to express how I feel right now," he said. "This is love."

However, he did manage to describe his emotions after the ceasefire agreement. "I have won many trophies in my time," he explained, "but nothing will ever top helping win the battle for peace in my country. I am so proud because today in the Ivory Coast we do not need a piece of silverware to celebrate."

You got love the Drog, definitely my favourite character/footballer outside the goons in the Premiership. A man bigger than the game...
#newbridgeornowhere

TheGreatRambo

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on November 15, 2009, 01:55:53 PM

Drogba- The African King

Football fans' forum

I was aware of the story, just a bit sceptical, there doesn't seem much evidence to back up these statements barring one obviously impressed journalist

Norf Tyrone

I was aware of the story, just a bit sceptical, there doesn't seem much evidence to back up these statements barring one obviously impressed journalist
[/quote]

One obviously impressed journalist, several other impressed journalists..... and also a film about it! There is a fair bit of evidence I'd suggest.

Norf Tyrone

Tom Taiwo is good news for Carlisle United

Sometimes you reach the end of a week aching to thump the drum about some inadequacy or imperfection at Brunton Park.

Other times – not every week, granted – all you see is positivity and light.

Tom Taiwo is a Good News Story that deserves its space to breathe alongside all those recent bulletins on boardroom strife and inconsistency on the pitch.

Laying down a few words of appreciation for Carlisle United's admirable young midfielder needn't keep scrutiny's torch off Brunton Park's high command forever.

Belting out the praises of the 19-year-old Chelsea loanee isn't the same as inserting fingers into ears and whistling past the more serious, sober issues to be confronted down Warwick Road, such as the Blues' financial plight and their screaming need for fresh investment.

Those matters remain well up the agenda. For one week, however, where is the harm in throwing some light on a happier story, in stacking up a few more encouraging headlines where they are unquestionably due?

In a few short minutes on Saltergate's greased turf on Tuesday night, Taiwo helped rebuild the connection between fellow professionals which many of us presumed had been broken badly by widespread diving and the waving of imaginary cards.

It turns out that mutual respect and concern have not bolted completely, and for that we can thank Taiwo, and the account of his actions in United's Johnstone's Paint Trophy tie at Chesterfield relayed to this paper by Neil Dalton, Carlisle's physio.

To recap: Taiwo was left in a tangle of limbs with the Spireites winger Gregor Robertson after a 20th minute challenge, which delivered a regrettable double leg-break to his rival (the collision was entirely accidental, it should be added).

Instead of levering himself away from the scene, the teenager immediately recognised Robertson's plight and remained sensibly still, even offering the Chesterfield man his hand to squeeze as paramedics eventually performed the excruciating task of manoeuvring Robertson onto a stretcher and off the pitch.

This, said Dalton, almost certainly helped prevent an even more grievous injury to Robertson, who is recovering in hospital and underwent surgery on Wednesday.

A career-threatening injury was duly averted. An even bleaker scenario might have led to amputation, had Taiwo scarpered upon impact and exposed Robertson's injured leg to potentially-damaging movement. "Tom gave Robertson all the help in the world in a very difficult situation," confirmed Dalton, whose own role in assisting the stricken Spireite shouldn't be ignored in his entirely decent rush to praise others.

Robertson's father contacted United this week to applaud Taiwo, whose maturity beyond his years has popped up in other circumstances this campaign – and I'm not just talking about his endlessly impressive contributions on the grass for Greg Abbott's team.

It isn't news to report that Taiwo is one of the players of Carlisle's season for the aggressive purpose of his midfield performances since his summer arrival from Stamford Bridge.

It is more revealing, in fact, to observe his conduct at those times when he isn't kicking a ball. For example, I have sat through no more heartening press conference this season than the one given by Taiwo on the eve of Carlisle's trip to Leeds on September 29.

During the standard pre-match inquisition, I pitched what I thought was a selection of testing questions to Taiwo about his relationship with the club he left under a controversial cloud – and in particular with their hyper-critical chairman Ken Bates, who has repeatedly aimed poison darts Taiwo's way regarding his decision to quit Leeds for Chelsea in 2006.

Many players – most, I suggest – would have swerved that line of inquiry. At best you would have expected a few evasive answers, a nervous selection of non-quotes designed to dilute the story. Instead, Taiwo took on the bearded overlord of Elland Road, firmly but respectfully, and left you cheering his nerve and his eloquence.

That he followed up his measured salvo at Bates with an influential performance in United's 1-1 draw at Leeds the next day was important, too, as the need to match words with deeds must always prevail in football's modern age of hype and spin.

All I'm doing here, you might argue, is hurling garlands at someone for behaving decently and speaking honestly. Fair enough: we shouldn't get too lyrical about footballers just because they act like civilised human beings.

But my response is to suggest that any act of selflessness in a cynical sporting era, and any athlete who speaks his mind instead of succumbing to media-trained platitudes, is more than deserving of a place in our pages.

Tom Taiwo is a young man of considerable local profile who did his profession some service this week. My advice to football's jaded followers is to stop watching reruns of David Ngog falling over thin air, briefly drop the eyes a couple of divisions and observe a 19-year-old showing a more reputable way.

TheGreatRambo

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on November 16, 2009, 07:45:22 PM
Tom Taiwo is good news for Carlisle United

Sometimes you reach the end of a week aching to thump the drum about some inadequacy or imperfection at Brunton Park.

Other times – not every week, granted – all you see is positivity and light.

Tom Taiwo is a Good News Story that deserves its space to breathe alongside all those recent bulletins on boardroom strife and inconsistency on the pitch.

Laying down a few words of appreciation for Carlisle United's admirable young midfielder needn't keep scrutiny's torch off Brunton Park's high command forever.

Belting out the praises of the 19-year-old Chelsea loanee isn't the same as inserting fingers into ears and whistling past the more serious, sober issues to be confronted down Warwick Road, such as the Blues' financial plight and their screaming need for fresh investment.

Those matters remain well up the agenda. For one week, however, where is the harm in throwing some light on a happier story, in stacking up a few more encouraging headlines where they are unquestionably due?

In a few short minutes on Saltergate's greased turf on Tuesday night, Taiwo helped rebuild the connection between fellow professionals which many of us presumed had been broken badly by widespread diving and the waving of imaginary cards.

It turns out that mutual respect and concern have not bolted completely, and for that we can thank Taiwo, and the account of his actions in United's Johnstone's Paint Trophy tie at Chesterfield relayed to this paper by Neil Dalton, Carlisle's physio.

To recap: Taiwo was left in a tangle of limbs with the Spireites winger Gregor Robertson after a 20th minute challenge, which delivered a regrettable double leg-break to his rival (the collision was entirely accidental, it should be added).

Instead of levering himself away from the scene, the teenager immediately recognised Robertson's plight and remained sensibly still, even offering the Chesterfield man his hand to squeeze as paramedics eventually performed the excruciating task of manoeuvring Robertson onto a stretcher and off the pitch.

This, said Dalton, almost certainly helped prevent an even more grievous injury to Robertson, who is recovering in hospital and underwent surgery on Wednesday.

A career-threatening injury was duly averted. An even bleaker scenario might have led to amputation, had Taiwo scarpered upon impact and exposed Robertson's injured leg to potentially-damaging movement. "Tom gave Robertson all the help in the world in a very difficult situation," confirmed Dalton, whose own role in assisting the stricken Spireite shouldn't be ignored in his entirely decent rush to praise others.

Robertson's father contacted United this week to applaud Taiwo, whose maturity beyond his years has popped up in other circumstances this campaign – and I'm not just talking about his endlessly impressive contributions on the grass for Greg Abbott's team.

It isn't news to report that Taiwo is one of the players of Carlisle's season for the aggressive purpose of his midfield performances since his summer arrival from Stamford Bridge.

It is more revealing, in fact, to observe his conduct at those times when he isn't kicking a ball. For example, I have sat through no more heartening press conference this season than the one given by Taiwo on the eve of Carlisle's trip to Leeds on September 29.

During the standard pre-match inquisition, I pitched what I thought was a selection of testing questions to Taiwo about his relationship with the club he left under a controversial cloud – and in particular with their hyper-critical chairman Ken Bates, who has repeatedly aimed poison darts Taiwo's way regarding his decision to quit Leeds for Chelsea in 2006.

Many players – most, I suggest – would have swerved that line of inquiry. At best you would have expected a few evasive answers, a nervous selection of non-quotes designed to dilute the story. Instead, Taiwo took on the bearded overlord of Elland Road, firmly but respectfully, and left you cheering his nerve and his eloquence.

That he followed up his measured salvo at Bates with an influential performance in United's 1-1 draw at Leeds the next day was important, too, as the need to match words with deeds must always prevail in football's modern age of hype and spin.

All I'm doing here, you might argue, is hurling garlands at someone for behaving decently and speaking honestly. Fair enough: we shouldn't get too lyrical about footballers just because they act like civilised human beings.

But my response is to suggest that any act of selflessness in a cynical sporting era, and any athlete who speaks his mind instead of succumbing to media-trained platitudes, is more than deserving of a place in our pages.

Tom Taiwo is a young man of considerable local profile who did his profession some service this week. My advice to football's jaded followers is to stop watching reruns of David Ngog falling over thin air, briefly drop the eyes a couple of divisions and observe a 19-year-old showing a more reputable way.

A great article about a genuinely good deed, let down by a cheap shot at the premiership in the last two lines. I'm sure falling over and winning dubious penalties is just as prevalent in the lower leagues

Archie Mitchell

Quote from: TheGreatRambo on November 16, 2009, 07:57:44 PM
A great article about a genuinely good deed, let down by a cheap shot at the premiership in the last two lines. I'm sure falling over and winning dubious penalties is just as prevalent in the lower leagues

I think the article isnt saying that diving to win penalties just only happens in the premier league. Its more saying that a good deed like this has gone unnoticed, whereas if it happened in the Premier League, it would have got more coverage, similar to the N'Gog incident. The same incident wouldn't have got as much coverage had it happened in a game between Carlisle and Chesterfield.

Norf Tyrone

Just wondering do Chelsea have more players going to the World Cup than any other team?

Portugal- Hilario, Deco, Carvalho, Fererria, Bosingwa
Germany- Ballack
England- Ashley Cole, Joe Cole, JT, Lamps
Ghana- Essien
Serbia- Ivanovic
Ivory Coast- Kalou, Drogba
Nigeria- Obi Mikel
France-Anelka, Malouda
Brazil- Alex
Slovakia- Stoch

Norf Tyrone

Looks like another 'dead rubber' for Drogba tomorrow as he will miss tomorrow's game v Wolves, after the injury sustained via the boot of Johnny Evans.
Bit of a mini crisis at SB this weekend, with Drogba, Lampard, Ballack, Bosingwa and Deco all missing along with late tests for Ashley Cole, Zhirkov, and JT.

With that in mind Gael Kakuta, Borini and Nemaja Matic all added to the squad. Kakuta is the one that everyone has been raving about in the youth/ reserves the last few years so it'll be good to see him. However the UEFA controversy will add some pressure to his shoulders.

The aul fella supports Wolves so I daren't lose this one!   :o

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on November 21, 2009, 02:01:34 AM

Looks like another 'dead rubber' for Drogba tomorrow as he will miss tomorrow's game v Wolves, after the injury sustained via the boot of Johnny Evans.
Bit of a mini crisis at SB this weekend, with Drogba, Lampard, Ballack, Bosingwa and Deco all missing along with late tests for Ashley Cole, Zhirkov, and JT.

With that in mind Gael Kakuta, Borini and Nemaja Matic all added to the squad. Kakuta is the one that everyone has been raving about in the youth/ reserves the last few years so it'll be good to see him. However the UEFA controversy will add some pressure to his shoulders.

The aul fella supports Wolves so I daren't lose this one!    :o

You're taking the 'we' thing a step too far... How exactly are you going to affect the outcome  ???
Hasta la victoria siempre

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on November 21, 2009, 04:31:36 AM
Quote from: Norf Tyrone on November 21, 2009, 02:01:34 AM

The aul fella supports Wolves so I daren't lose this one!    :o

You're taking the 'we' thing a step too far... How exactly are you going to affect the outcome  ???

Well if a beachball can do it, so can I!

Norf Tyrone

For all you first scorer gamblers, Ancellotti has strongly hinted his 11 for tonight.

Cech
Zhirkov
Terry
Carvalho
Ivanovic
Obi
Ballack
Malouda
Deco
Kalou
Anelka