The Official Thread of Chelsea FC

Started by Norf Tyrone, January 23, 2007, 11:16:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Hugh's rarely too far off the mark:

Poor little rich boy
Hugh McIlvanney
Sunday Times

Apparently a major reason for the absence of a clear response from John Terry to Manchester City's money-laden overtures is the uneasiness stirred in the Chelsea captain by a sense that his present employers aren't doing enough to demonstrate their eagerness to keep him at Stamford Bridge. Isn't that poignant? Surely nobody at Chelsea is sufficiently insensitive to imagine that paying Terry a wage generally estimated at upwards of £130,000 per week can be regarded as adequate proof of the kind of cherishing he seemingly needs.

Isn't it an unbearable insult that the club owner, Roman Abramovich, hasn't personally backed up, preferably with hugs and manly Russian kisses, the uncharacteristically gushing assurances volunteered by the newly arrived manager, Carlo Ancelotti? The Italian waxed lyrical about Terry as a leader and inspiring symbol he sees as inseparable from his plans for Chelsea. But shouldn't the expression of loving appreciation take the form of a raising of the captain's wages to a level that relates more favourably to the gargantuan sums (guesses range from £200,000 to £300,000 a week) quoted in connection with Manchester City's bid for his services? You don't think so? Neither do I.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Norf Tyrone

There are really three schools of thought.

1. City have bid £30 to £40 million for Terry. Chelsea have turned it down. After the first offer, Chelsea told JT about the offer, and he stated his desire to remain at Chelsea for life. Terry nor Chelsea feel they are obliged to report to the press every five minutes that he still wants to stay at the Bridge.

2. City have bid £30 to £40 million for Terry. Chelsea have turned it down. After the first offer, Chelsea told JT about the offer, and he stated his desire to remain at Chelsea for life. Since then Terry (And agent) have hatched a plan to use this as a way of getting a extra few quid a week from Chelsea.

3. City have bid £30 to £40 million for Terry. Chelsea have turned it down. After the first offer, Chelsea told JT about the offer, and he stated his desire to remain at Chelsea for life. Since then City have tapped Terry up, and tempted him with a MASSIVE hike in wages. Terry wants the money. However he doesn't want to appear like a mercenary, so he needs Chelsea to accept an offer. Chelsea don't want to look like they are flogging their captain, so need Terry to hand in a transfer request.

I have seen very few direct quotes that give substance to numbers 2 and 3. Loads of a source said, Terry is believed to, and a City/Chelsea insider has said. However IF 'Mr Chelsea' wants more money, and more loyalty than the £125,000 a week he is currently on, I'll be happy to see him leave and take the £30 million.

It also be another nail in football's coffin for me.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

ONeill

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on July 13, 2009, 08:53:44 PM
There are really three schools of thought.

1. City have bid £30 to £40 million for Terry. Chelsea have turned it down. After the first offer, Chelsea told JT about the offer, and he stated his desire to remain at Chelsea for life. Terry nor Chelsea feel they are obliged to report to the press every five minutes that he still wants to stay at the Bridge.

2. City have bid £30 to £40 million for Terry. Chelsea have turned it down. After the first offer, Chelsea told JT about the offer, and he stated his desire to remain at Chelsea for life. Since then Terry (And agent) have hatched a plan to use this as a way of getting a extra few quid a week from Chelsea.

3. City have bid £30 to £40 million for Terry. Chelsea have turned it down. After the first offer, Chelsea told JT about the offer, and he stated his desire to remain at Chelsea for life. Since then City have tapped Terry up, and tempted him with a MASSIVE hike in wages. Terry wants the money. However he doesn't want to appear like a mercenary, so he needs Chelsea to accept an offer. Chelsea don't want to look like they are flogging their captain, so need Terry to hand in a transfer request.

I have seen very few direct quotes that give substance to numbers 2 and 3. Loads of a source said, Terry is believed to, and a City/Chelsea insider has said. However IF 'Mr Chelsea' wants more money, and more loyalty than the £125,000 a week he is currently on, I'll be happy to see him leave and take the £30 million.

It also be another nail in football's coffin for me.

Excellent post. The only credance you could offer for Terry's supposed dithering is the complete managerial uncertainty year after year under Abramovich, something that surely'd piss the long-term players off.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Minder

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on July 13, 2009, 07:53:45 PM
Quote from: Minder on July 13, 2009, 01:06:30 PM
What do you make of Terry pimping himself to City Norf? Leverage for a new deal at Chelsea or head turned by a possible £250k p/w ?

Sorry I was away all day. What happened today? What did Terry say?

Chelsea tell Terry to put up or shut up - Sunday Times

Roman Abramovich met John Terry yesterday as Chelsea called their captain's bluff over his highly public flirtation with Manchester City. The Russian billionaire will reject a third, £30m-plus bid for their captain this week and has told Terry there is no intention of matching City's offer to double his pay to £250,000 a week.

While Abramovich is ready to make Terry the best-paid player at Stamford Bridge, Chelsea's owner will not go significantly beyond the £150,000-a-week salary granted to Frank Lampard last summer. For his part, Terry is understood to have requested permission to speak openly with City about their plans. Chelsea denied that was the case last night. There have already been significant under-the-table discussions and the England international has asked football dealmaker Chris Nathaniel to help negotiate with City.

Nathaniel already represents Robinho, City's current best-paid player, and Micah Richards. He has previously secured Terry a lucrative book deal, works extensively with his England teammate Rio Ferdinand and last season fronted a Nigerian takeover bid for Newcastle United that came to nothing.

Terry's advisers say he has been disquieted by the time it took Chelsea to contact him after initial news of City's bid broke, and that he has had to wait a week to speak directly with Abramovich. They do not rule out the possibility of the centre-back joining City.

RELATED LINKS
Terry summit meeting offers hope to City
City test Terry's loyalty with £40m bid
Ancelotti laughs off talk of selling Terry
Should Terry decide to place Sheikh Mansour's petrobillions ahead of his frequently stated devotion to Chelsea, the London club will force Terry to hand in a formal transfer request and make clear that the player is the driving force behind a move.

City remain confident that Terry will be their player before the new Premier League season begins. The England captain spent part of a recent holiday in Dubai with Mark Hughes and their manager believes that Terry is unhappy with Chelsea's failure to add top-class players to their squad and a lack of consultation over Carlo Ancelotti's appointment.

When City made their first unsuccessful bid for Terry in January, the player's agent, Aaron Lincoln, was negotiating the transfer of Wayne Bridge to Eastlands. During that period, Terry had expressed his discontent with the training methods of Luiz Felipe Scolari, Chelsea manager at the time, and a message was sent to City that the central defender "wanted out".

Hughes is in the market for two centre-backs and has calculated that Terry can reinforce his defence, providing leadership to what has been an often fragile team while satisfying his employer's desire for a star signing. City's decision on Friday to withdraw an offer for Barcelona striker Samuel Eto'o was believed to be partly motivated by their belief that Terry will go through with his exit from Chelsea.

Chelsea believe Terry is using City's overtures as a means of further improving his financial position and status at Stamford Bridge, and that the 29-year-old has no serious interest of leaving.

It would certainly be politically difficult for Terry to be seen as the instigator of a move away from a club with whom he has fashioned a public image of slavish loyalty. Talking in February about City's initial bid for him, Terry said: "Chelsea told me what had happened as a courtesy. I was very happy with their reaction, as mine would have been the same. I have always said that I want to end my career at the club which I love and we all see no reason why that cannot happen."

Though Terry has had several injuries in recent seasons, Chelsea continue to insist he is "not for sale at any price". The club are, however, mindful of dealings with Terry over his last contract talks in 2007, when he signed a five-year deal.

During those negotiations, Terry asked for a 10-year contract that included a clause guaranteeing he would be the club's best-paid player for the duration of the deal. The defender also wanted an option to become Chelsea's manager when he retired from playing.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Norf Tyrone

Young Miroslav Stoch away to Twente on loan. Good move for him. Rumours that Di Santo will join Blackburn on loan also floating about.

The Blues away to the U S of A today, and play Seattle on Saturday night. Some young centre half called Sean Terry or something has travelled I believe. Joe Cole has not gone, due to a minor operation.

Others of note going are, Sheva, Pizarro, and youngster Sam Hutchinson among the 26 man squad. Yuri Zhirkov to join the tour next week.

Norf Tyrone

Chelsea 2 Seattle 0 (HT) Sturruidge and Lampard.

Norf Tyrone

Ended two to zero.
Sturridge being the Chelsea MOTM.

Norf Tyrone

Looks like a new 3-year deal for Drogba.

CA says that he will favour 442 this year as opposedd to 433. Unfortunately that might mean the diamond formation.

States that unlikely Sheva and Pizarro will stay the season.

Frank Nouble turns down pro contract and heading to West Ham or less likely Arsenal.

Ballack breaks toe and misses a few weeks.

Bed time, as I am up at 4am to see Chelsea v José.

Norf Tyrone

Result from the Rose Bowl

Chelsea 2 Inter Milan 0

I know it's only pre season, but Chelsea were excellent. Passing, and moving left IM running in circles. Chelsea started with a 4-1-3-2 (I think), Mikel holding, Lampard in middle flanked by Essien and Malouda. Up front Drogba and Kalou.

Some VG performances by Mikel, Ashley, Lamps, JT, Carvalho and Alex. In addition Deco in the second half ran the show.

The goals were a 30 yarder that caught the keeper sleeping from Drogba, and a Lampard penalty.

anportmorforjfc

Have yous any long term injures Norf, or are all of the squad near full fitness?

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: anportmorforjfc on July 22, 2009, 06:08:38 AM
Have yous any long term injures Norf, or are all of the squad near full fitness?

Ferreria will be out for a wee while. Ballack has a broken toe which will keep him out for a few weeks. Joe Cole has a toe/ foot injury that means he'll miss the next 2/3 weeks of pre season, so might not be match fit for the premiership KO, and Bosingwa is injured but don't think it's anything major.

So nothing long term really. Only Fererria I think will not be fit for the premiership start.

Norf Tyrone

I see one of the papers this morning carried a story that Chelsea would be selling Mikel. Great timing by said reporter.

Obi Mikel has penned a new 5 year deal today. Good stuff.

Joins Malouda as having signed a new deal, Drogba rumoured to be doing so next week, and then we just need that young centre half to get the finger out.

Puckoon

Norf Chelsea looked superb last night. Although inter have failed to convince me in last night or Sundays game. Lampard, didier and cashley ( the wee ****) were brilliant. I actually thought vierra was great also.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Puckoon on July 22, 2009, 06:59:54 PM
Norf Chelsea looked superb last night. Although inter have failed to convince me in last night or Sundays game. Lampard, didier and cashley ( the wee ****) were brilliant. I actually thought vierra was great also.

I forgot that the ex pats would've been able to view the game at a civil hour. I am actually worried how sharp Chelsea looked last night to be honest. However It's got to be noted that Inter are probably 7-10 days behind Chelsea in terms of preperation so the performance should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Norf Tyrone

Interesting line by JT

John Terry on Manchester City move: "I promise that I will let you know in a couple of days"

Written by Alex Bogatiryov

Despite heavy security, great access was provided to the media for the Manager press conference and for the player mixing area outside of locker rooms.

Inter manager Jose Mourinho appeared very angry as he left the field and did not show up at the press-conference. In his place was Assistant Manager Daniele Bernazzini who spoke to the media with his Italian translator. The first question to him was obvious.

Q: "Daniele, why is Jose not here?"

A: Jose wants to give opportunities and space to other personnel to talk to media during pre-season as this is not possible to do during regular season.

When asked about Inter's lackluster performance in the match in general Daniele said

"This is an opportunity to play some young players and get them some action. It was a well played game; they just weren't able to make themselves dangerous enough on attack. Those two goals came from somewhat casual situations that could have been avoided." When asked about the Ibrahimovic situation and speculation on where he may be going, Daniele said the club has no comment.

Q: "Daniele, is Viera going to Tottenham?"

A: Viera played a great game and trains very well. Unfortunately last year was filled with injuries. I had to play him further upfront with Mancinni due to necessity of other players being injured.

With this Daniele said his goodbyes and Ancelotti soon arrived for a more lengthy conference.

Q: "Ancelotti, how satisfied are you with tonight's match?"

A: Very satisfied, we played very well and had excellent defense.

Q:"Carlo: will you continue using this tactic throughout the season?"

A: Yes, very good system. Like offensive midfielder and left and right backs pushing up the field.

Q: "Carlo: Will Frank Lampard be your Kaka at Chelsea? Will he be center of your team?"

A: "They are different players, but Frank Lampard worked very well. Kaka and Lampard have same importance for the team. Lampard can be center of Chelsea since he can play all positions, but I want to use him in offense."

Q: "Has the Chelsea Club improved since Seattle?"

A: "Yes, good control of game, this is how Chelsea should work."

Q: "How far is club from where it should be for Premiership (had to be translated for Lotti)

A: Pretty much at necessary level.

Q: "Did you meet with Jose?"

A: "No did not meet because was too busy."

Q: "Brilliant performance from Drogba today, is it time for new contract?"

A: "Definitely"

Q: "Deco and Carvahlo are important, will they remain with Chelsea?

A: "Yes, they will remain."

Q from Alex Bogatiryov – Soccerlens.com: "Carlo – do you see Andriy Shevchenko as part of Chelsea's future?

A from Carlo Ancelotti: "Shevchenko is a great striker who unfortunately did not play today. We have many strikers; felt Drogba needed this opportunity to play. Shevchenko will start in next match."

Q: "Is there a big difference between Premier League and Seria A?"

A: "There is no big difference."

Conference was over and I headed to the player mixing area. Lampard had no comments but I had a chance to introduce myself to the Captain John Terry who was kind enough to sign autographs and have a few words with me. I got right to the point with my question:

Q from Alex Bogatiryov – Soccerlens.com: "John – are you going to Manchester City?"

A: "I promise that I will let you know in a couple of days..."

Q from Alex Bogatiryov – Soccerlens.com: "Deco, are you happy that you remained at Chelsea instead of going to Inter?

A: "After today's match – yes, glad to be at Chelsea."

As the team buses were leaving the Rose Bowl stadium, Ancelotti and John Terry appeared to be having a serious discussion.