The Official Thread of Chelsea FC

Started by Norf Tyrone, January 23, 2007, 11:16:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Over the Bar

QuoteNice of the MOTD pundits to mention that Anelka had collected the golden boot. 

Should be awarded based on goals the day the title is won not at the end of the season.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Over the Bar on May 25, 2009, 12:30:22 AM
QuoteNice of the MOTD pundits to mention that Anelka had collected the golden boot. 

Should be awarded based on goals the day the title is won not at the end of the season.

Good point. Congratulations Louis Saha then.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on May 25, 2009, 12:19:48 AM
Nice of the MOTD pundits to mention that Anelka had collected the golden boot.  ???

Can't believe they overlooked this most important of awards. Clearly an anti-Chelsea conspiracy.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on May 25, 2009, 01:02:07 AM
Quote from: Norf Tyrone on May 25, 2009, 12:19:48 AM
Nice of the MOTD pundits to mention that Anelka had collected the golden boot.  ???

Can't believe they overlooked this most important of awards. Clearly an anti-Chelsea conspiracy.

It's not the most important, but it's a trophy for the top goal scorer in the world's best league. Would they have mentioned it if Rooney, Gerard or Ronaldo had've won it today with a 25 yard screamer a la our Nic?

Norf Tyrone

Strong rumour this morning that Chelsea have signed Twente's Marko Arnautovic for £10 million, and Dean Sturridge on a free. They will inject much needed pace at least.

A Quinn Martin Production

Pity Anelka's goal yesterday came too late for Goal of The Season...wasn't mentioned by the panel either.  Is it just me or were the Goal of the Season contenders for the most part fairly average?? ???
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

Billys Boots

QuoteThe legend. Now if you had've said John Spencer.... he WAS a legend.

Or Kerry Dixon.  :P  :P
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on May 25, 2009, 03:28:19 PM
Pity Anelka's goal yesterday came too late for Goal of The Season...wasn't mentioned by the panel either.  Is it just me or were the Goal of the Season contenders for the most part fairly average?? ???

I thought the same. Shite.
Giggs', Fullers were average.

IIRC I think Johnson's goal for Pompey will win it, but I liked Carlton Cole's too.

Now Kerry Dixon was more, much, much, more than a legend. Met the great many several times, and betrays the notion you shouldn't meet your heroes. A gentleman. I've gone all Feronism on you haven't I.

Billys Boots

QuoteI've gone all Feronism on you haven't I.

Well, you were provoked.  ;)
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on May 22, 2009, 10:22:27 PM
Well done to Frank Lampard who lifted the Chelsea player of the year for the 3rd time last night, the first person to do so.

I'd go as far as saying, Lampard is now Chelsea's greatest ever player.

Fortunately I am old enough to have seen Peter Osgood (RIP) and Charlie Cooke...no one will ever touch these two!

AFS

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on May 25, 2009, 12:12:52 PM
Strong rumour this morning that Chelsea have signed Twente's Marko Arnautovic for £10 million, and Dean Sturridge on a free. They will inject much needed pace at least.

So who is signing these players then? If, and its a big if, this is true then Chelsea must already have their man for next season in the bag. Either that or managers at Chelsea still don't get to decide which players are signed.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: AFS on May 26, 2009, 01:00:13 AM
Quote from: Norf Tyrone on May 25, 2009, 12:12:52 PM

So who is signing these players then? If, and its a big if, this is true then Chelsea must already have their man for next season in the bag. Either that or managers at Chelsea still don't get to decide which players are signed.

It was a bit like Bosingwa last year. Who signed him?
Sometimes a lot of these signings are made months in advance. If Hiddink said in Feb/ Mar they were worth signings, maybe they are worth a risk. Do you honestly think Fergis and Rafa pick all the players they sign. Some are scouted, some are signed by the board for merchandise reasons.

Norf Tyrone

Well now that all the sideshows are out of the way, it's now time for the 'World's greatest competition' on Saturday.

I'll be honest and state that bar the debacle of 2002, and the inevitability of 1994, I haven't been as confident about winning a FA Cup final ever. That scares me. However Everton should be underestimated at Chelsea's peril. The amount of injuries they have suffered this season has been amazing, but they've constantly brushed themselves down and got on with it. The Jagielka injury being a case in point. Everyone thought they'd struggle when he hit the hay, but Yobo has come in and their very good run has continued.

In addition both games this year have been tight, 0-0 and 0-0 (Bet the neutrals can't wait). That would suggest that they'll be little in it again. Nonetheless Chelsea are a different animal under Hiddink, and he'll leave a big void around 4.50pm (or more if ET and penalties) on Saturday. The front three of Drogba, Anelka and who-has-snatched-my-body Malouda interchange, pass, and move that means that the ball is less direct but worked through the channels. I feel that if the three continue this on Saturday, the Everton back four will struggle, and the game will be won and lost. If. The only wee concern is that Lampard has been off key the last week or two. However he has not played now in two weeks, which might be the rest he required.

Thankfully Chelsea appear to be going into the game with no new injury worries bar the long term absence of Joe Cole, which means that Hiddink's 11 picks itself bar the Ballack or Mikel dilema.

Cech, Bosingwa, Terry, Alex, Cole, Essien, Lampard, Mikel or Ballack, Malouda, Drogba, Anelka.

As an aside I've had a gut feel for Malouda to hit the first goal at Wembley for the last few weeks. I am guessing he'll be in the 10 range, so might be worth a tenner.

Malouda is 12/1 to score first with Ladbrokes (who amazingly have Quaresma at 10/1 :o).  I'm having a fiver on Terry @ 16's, though I'm tempted to have a nibble at Alex (Ooooh Matron!) @ 25/1.  What with the media's obsession with Man Utd up until about 9:45pm on Wednesday the build up to the Cup Final has been low key.  I agree with NT that the team virtually picks itself and I think Hiddink (please stay!) will go with Ballack...maybe a last hurrah for both?  Everton are not a bad side and I've great regard for Moyes as a manager so I'd think things will be tight enough. 1-0 to Chelsea???

corn02