The Official Thread of Chelsea FC

Started by Norf Tyrone, January 23, 2007, 11:16:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corn02

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on April 10, 2009, 11:59:22 AM
Quote from: corn02 on April 10, 2009, 09:17:53 AM
Quote from: Norf Tyrone on April 10, 2009, 01:14:21 AM

And another thing.... the 'famous atmosphere' was missing on Wednesday too strangely despite Liverpool's recent good form.

A Chelsea fan giving off about Liverpool's atmosphere?  :D Now that's irony.

There was a great atmpsohere on Wednesday, obviously it died down at 3-1 but YNWA still sung at the end. In Stamford Bridge the abuse would have rained down en masse, and the stands would have been empty.

Giving off is the wrong word. However when it's used all the time, 'special European nights', 'that Anfield atmosphere' etc etc it becomes boring. Especially when, from personal experience, it can be a myth at times. On Wednesday before the game, YNWA was blasting out, but the Chelsea fans were coming over loud and clear.

Yip, heard them during YNWA. But I think that was down to Chelsea fans being louder than usual at Anfield, don;t think the Pool fans were any less louder.

Very rare you wouldn;t get a boiling atmosphere on a European night, so wouldn't call it a myth.

PL games against smaller teams on the otherhand.....now that's when Anfield really is quiet.

Norf Tyrone

Fair enough.
Haven't been at Anfield on a 'special European night' so can't comment.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

magpie seanie

You do get a better atmosphere generally at smaller grounds.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 10, 2009, 12:21:53 PM
You do get a better atmosphere generally at smaller grounds.

Fratton Park is meant to be the best.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on April 10, 2009, 11:59:22 AM
Quote from: corn02 on April 10, 2009, 09:17:53 AM
Quote from: Norf Tyrone on April 10, 2009, 01:14:21 AM

And another thing.... the 'famous atmosphere' was missing on Wednesday too strangely despite Liverpool's recent good form.

A Chelsea fan giving off about Liverpool's atmosphere?  :D Now that's irony.

There was a great atmpsohere on Wednesday, obviously it died down at 3-1 but YNWA still sung at the end. In Stamford Bridge the abuse would have rained down en masse, and the stands would have been empty.

Giving off is the wrong word. However when it's used all the time, 'special European nights', 'that Anfield atmosphere' etc etc it becomes boring. Especially when, from personal experience, it can be a myth at times. On Wednesday before the game, YNWA was blasting out, but the Chelsea fans were coming over loud and clear.

Must have been the rattle from their plastic flags. ;D

A Quinn Martin Production

Was at the 2007 semi final second leg @ Anfield.  I have to admit having heard all about the atmosphere I was a little disappointed...not as atmospheric as I was led to believe, however I did travel with three Liverpool fans who spent the entire day before the game telling me about the special atmosphere...maybe a bit of overkill!  The "you ain't got no history" song is funny though.
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

corn02

Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on April 10, 2009, 12:43:46 PM
Was at the 2007 semi final second leg @ Anfield.  I have to admit having heard all about the atmosphere I was a little disappointed...not as atmospheric as I was led to believe, however I did travel with three Liverpool fans who spent the entire day before the game telling me about the special atmosphere...maybe a bit of overkill!  The "you ain't got no history" song is funny though.

Good response by the Chelsea fans the other night I must admit.

f**k your history...We're going to Rome.

Minder

Quote from: corn02 on April 10, 2009, 01:02:20 PM

Are they all Barcelona supporters?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

mrsandman

Quote from: Minder on April 10, 2009, 01:04:42 PM

To be fair to Barcelona no matter how good they look at the minute they were playing possibly the worst team of 8 left.  yes Bayern did demolish Spoting Lisbon (Shit) but Wolfsburg beat them 5-1 days before the barcelona match, so its not surprise barca won easy.  Once they play the winner of pool v chelsea (probably chelsea) itl be a totally different story, expecially if chelsea continue to play how they did on wednesday.

So no the chelsea fans are not all barcelona fans, they probably feel they have a realistic chance of beating barca and reaching the final (again) along with Man United of course...and JT missing a penalty again  ;D
Constipated People Don't Give A crap.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Minder on April 10, 2009, 01:04:42 PM

No. All the C18 boys are actually really religious, and Chelsea have organised a package trip for June to Rome with Thomas Cook. £300 for 2 days in Rome, with guided tours of the Vatican included by Mickey Thomas and John Spencer.
Should be a good'un.

This from The Guardian:
Roman Abramovich has reassured Chelsea's senior players that he intends to revitalise an ageing squad in the ­summer and is ready to sanction a move for the much-coveted Valencia striker David Villa for what would constitute a British record transfer fee.

Chelsea's stunning Champions League quarter-final first leg victory at Liverpool on Wednesday has prolonged hopes of securing silverware on three fronts this term under the temporary stewardship of Guus Hiddink, though Abramovich has recognised the need to inject new blood into the squad for next term. The owner has indicated that the majority new of arrivals will have to be funded through sales, but he has proved willing to fund one lavish signing per summer in the past and is prepared to do so again to secure Villa.

The Spain striker, whose burgeoning reputation was confirmed with his searing performances en route to winning Euro 2008, is effectively being touted around Europe by Valencia as the Primera Liga side teeter on the brink of bankruptcy. Such are their crippling debts that they will listen to offers for any member of their first-team squad, though the 27-year-old remains their principal asset having previously attracted interest from Real Madrid, Barcelona and Manchester City. They will be unable to resist any serious offers this summer.

Valencia have been seeking some €50m (£45m) for Villa, a figure that may prove beyond the two Spanish clubs who court him, which would beat the £32.5m paid by Manchester City for Robinho last September. Yet, while they may consider a sale at slightly under that value, they will welcome Chelsea's interest to ensure they receive a competitive fee for a player who has scored 80 top-flight goals in his four years at the Mestalla. The striker himself has previously made it clear he is reluctant to leave Spain, though that stance may mellow when Chelsea's interest crystallises or, indeed, if the Londoners secure a first European Cup. Such success would add to their reputation on the continent.

The prospect of Villa following his Spanish strike partner Fernando Torres to the Premier League is tantalising, particularly given the attacking brilliance already demonstrated by Chelseain their defeat of Liverpool at Anfield on Wednesday. While money is tighter at Stamford Bridge these days after the excessive spending of Abramovich's first few years in charge, the Russian remains enthusiastic and committed to the cause, and has acknowledged the need to add to the squad by indicating to senior players that he will attempt to lure the Spaniard to Stamford Bridge.

"Generally speaking we'd like to use internally generated cash to buy new players and, by that, I mean sell players and buy new players," said the Chelsea chairman, Bruce Buck, following the declaration of the club's accounts in February. "But, if an appropriate player comes along who falls outside that cash flow, then money would be available from the owner to buy that player. But it would all depend on the player and the circumstances."

Chelsea have yet to appoint a long-term successor to Luiz Felipe Scolari, but no manager would be unhappy at the prospect of inheriting a striker as potent as Villa. Hiddink will be consulted by Abramovich ahead of the summer's squad strengthening but has indicated that he will leave his dual role with Chelsea and the Russian national team to return to duties in Moscow in May, with the Milan manager Carlo Ancelotti having emerged as the primary target to replace him.

The Italian was considered last summer and contact is understood to have been made with his representatives last month, though the 49-year-old is under contract at the San Siro until the end of the season with an option for a further season. Chelsea will monitor that situation closely, in the hope that Ancelotti will give real ­consideration to a move to England.

Norf Tyrone

That was some craic today. Was watching the match at a mate's house, and we were just talking about how it's great to be able to sit and relax and enjoy the last half hour or so.

Chelsea started sluggishly, and Bolton made the early running, however when Chelsea changed to second gear they dominated. Drogba looked busy and dangerous, as did Ashley Cole on the left wing. Hour gone, four up, Drogba and Super Frank subbed for a well earned rest.

Suddenly Bolton got a break and puled one back, and then another, and another. Chelsea's back four, especially Terry and Cech, simply stopped competing, and when Davies sniffed chaos he really went to town. In truth Bolton could've snatched another at the death, which would have been a tragedy (For Chelsea) considering they should've been up the other end adding to the goal differance!!

However this could be the perfect result. The biggest obstacle for this Tuesday is complacency, and this should go a long way to kicking that to touch.

Norf Tyrone

Cannae sleep, as my head still hurts from the tension earlier. I don't think I've ever hated a game as much before which produced a positive Chelsea result.

José would've enjoyed that (Not) tonight. What was it he refered Spurs/ Arsenal once... 'tsk 4-4 is not football, eets Hockey'.

Don't usually drink during the week, but I poured a double after that!  Great to be through esp. after that 1st half but plenty to worry about.  Based on that performance Barca will score 6 in the first 20 mins at the Nou Camp.  Three or four years ago Cech was head and shoulders above any keeper in the world.  Now he looks like he would struggle to get a game for Cliftonville Olympic!  Defence was all over the place, midfield non existent in the first half...only Drogba looked like he was up for it.  Highlight of the night was Ballack's pass to Drogba for the third goal, brilliant.

ONeill

Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on April 15, 2009, 08:03:36 AM
Don't usually drink during the week, but I poured a double after that!  Great to be through esp. after that 1st half but plenty to worry about.  Based on that performance Barca will score 6 in the first 20 mins at the Nou Camp.  Three or four years ago Cech was head and shoulders above any keeper in the world.  Now he looks like he would struggle to get a game for Cliftonville Olympic!  Defence was all over the place, midfield non existent in the first half...only Drogba looked like he was up for it.  Highlight of the night was Ballack's pass to Drogba for the third goal, brilliant.

Yes, that pass was sublime.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.