The Official Thread of Chelsea FC

Started by Norf Tyrone, January 23, 2007, 11:16:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norf Tyrone

Friendly result today...

Rangers 2 Chelsea 0
Rangers scored 2 late goals (85th and 87th min I think), as their keener preperation for Tuesday's CL qualifier stood them in good stead.

Only listened to it on the radio though, and Chelsea sounded poor. It's only pre-season but we appear to be creating very little chances, and a lot of the players are a long way off the sharpness that they need. Hopefully it'll come in time....
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Norf Tyrone

Although disappointed not to take home the 'trophy' on Sunday, I was quite pleased with the draw and display Chelsea got. In truth the game had some semblance to last season, United with the clearer chances, while Chelsea dominated possession.

The Blues lacked a cutting edge was always going to happen without Drogba, Shevchenko, and Kalou with Pizzaro not fully ready yet after his Copa America.

Plus points were Malouda, and Ben Haim who had good debuts, and SWP who looked good going forward but lacked quality in the delivery, however Drogba's absence would've been a factor here.

So with the new season just around the corner.

Goalkeepers
Cech, Cudicini, Hilario.

No problems here. We have the best keeper in the world, with Cudicini excellet back up. There is no way we can suffer the bad luck of last year....is there?

Left Back
Ashley Cole, Bridge
No problems here either. Only concern will be the early part of the season and hoping Cole stays free from injuries until Bridge is back.

Centre Defence
Carvalho, Terry, Ben Haim.
Phew...at last we have cover for Percy and JT, which should be added to with the signing of Alex next week.

Right back
Johnson, Ferreria
The problem position probably. Ferreria was very solid in his debut season, but has not really returned to this form since, bar the last few weeks of the season just completed. Johnson's attitude leaves a lot to be desired. Hopefully his sojourn at Pompey has seen him grow/wise up.

Wingers
Wright-Phillips, J Cole, Robben, Malouda, Sinlcair
Enough quality, but the ability to consistently produce as per Ronaldo and Giggs is absent. Joe Cole is probably the most likely to do it week in, week out. Hopefully Malouda can reignite his partnership with Drogba from earlier in his career. Don't expect Robben to be here at the end of this month.

Midfield
Makalele, Diarra, Sidwell, Lampard, Essien, Ballack, Obi Mikel
Hmmm....Some quality players, but as per last year I feel we are over subscribed in this position. In reality 5 midfielders would probably be enough, and if the offers were good I'd say farewell to Makalele (with thanks), and Ballack (F**k off). Essien must start, and if, as Jose states, we are to play 2 midfielders this season the other place will be between Lampard and Obi Mikel. At the minute Mikel should take it as Lamps has wemen problems and has been crap in pre-season.

Forwards
Pizzaro, Sheva, Drogba, Kalou
Quality in Drogba, but worries outside of that. If Pizzaro clicks we are in business, but if he doesn't?? Sheva looks worse in pre-season instead of better. This year he can't blame post WC exhaustion. Kalou looks promising but needs to be more consistent, and learn the offside rule.

Not as confident going into this season, as I was last season although still believe that José will deliver again. The two concerns at present are a) a good start, which is hampered by a critical injury list so early in the season b) January and the African nations.

KTBFFH[/b]

slow corner back

If you think that egos the size of Ballack and Lampards are going to sit on the bench while Mikel plays you are much mistaken. Ballack may well be sold to Real, personally as a Utd fan I hope he stays with Chelsea because he has huge reputation in Germany for causing unrest in a dressing room which I would love to see descend on Chelsea with all the vigour it did last season. ( Jose and Roman not speaking, noone speaking to shevchenko, Ballack looking down his nose on everyone, long may it continue )

Norf Tyrone

QuoteIf you think that egos the size of Ballack and Lampards are going to sit on the bench while Mikel plays you are much mistaken.

I'm agreeing with you. 7 midfielders, is 2 too many. I'd prefer if we could ship two out, with Maka and Ballack the two I'd choose. Lampard, on preseason form, doesn't deserve his spot.

Norf Tyrone

http://www.chelseafc.com/page/NewsHomePage/0,,10268~1121743,00.html

Is this a joke???
Liverpool v Chelsea, and the Blues get a disputed penalty. Liverpool players surround the ref....
Pompey v Liverpool, and Pompey get a disputed penalty. Liverpool players surround the ref.....
United v Chelsea, and Obi Mikel commits a foul. Unted players surround the ref demaning action....the ref produces red card.

Same incident...and Chelsea players sund the ref contesting decision.

Of the 4 events, can anyone explain why Chelsea are the only team the FA charged with failing to control their players. The exact same thing happened last season as well.

Norf Tyrone

Norf Tyrone

Good to see big Didier back....hopefully with plenty ro proove.
Percy's imminent return equally as important........

Norf Tyrone

Brilliant!

Fantastic effort from the boys in Blue tonight. Welcome back Carvalho and Drogba, both were immense. The poor Valencia centre halfs had not got a clue how to combat Didier. I think Chelsea top the group now, after being written off last week!

The players I don't think were playing for the manager, but gave their all because it's their job, and they are showing some pride in the jersey.

You may not have seen it, but Joe Cole's pass for the winner was one of the best passes you'll see this season....and on a final point, the ref was excellent too. Didn't stand for the antics of both teams, but especially the Valencia players who tried to buy a few easy frees.

Norf Tyrone

I don't know much about Ten Cate but his Euro record with Ajax this year leaves a lot to be desired....

...only good news is that Clarkey is staying...apparently!

Norf Tyrone

Stunning performance by the Blues today.

If there are people who think Gerard is better than Lampard, today shoots that idea down. Frank's passing today was as good as I have ever seen.

Norf Tyrone

A wee bit unlucky today, considering we played most of the game with what some would say our 2nd choice back 5.

Cudicini
Bridge
Ben Haim
Alex
Belletti.

Chelsea dominated the game for large spells with Lampard and Alex excellent. Drogba missed an absoloute sitter in the first half, but got his goal with 11 minutes left. Everton were then forced to come out, and Cahill scored a last minute brilliantly executed overhead kick! Essentially there first shot on target.

The main outcome for today is that this must be the end of the road for Wright Phillips. Shocking today. He would whizz past 2 or 3 men and then put his cross in the stand. If he did it once he did it 3 or 4 times. In addition I am starting to run out of patiance with Joe Cole. One decent pass per game, does not cut it.

If you take our starting 11 it is in my opinion equal to most, great centrer backs, world class keeper, excellent midfielders, Drogba up front.

However compare the likes of SWP, Malouda, and Joe Cole to Nani, Ronaldo, Giggs etc and you can see where our problems are.

Lastly...Julian Lescott was brilliant today. He give Drogba next to nothing.

ExiledGael

Interesting quotes from Grant post match. Wonder how much pressure is on him from above in terms of style of play, tactics etc

"We moved the ball very well played and created a lot of chances. People like this kind of football but what happened today is one of the reasons I don't because from nowhere they scored a goal!"

Sounds like Mourinho

SeanSouth

Quote from: ExiledGael on November 11, 2007, 05:05:15 PM
Interesting quotes from Grant post match. Wonder how much pressure is on him from above in terms of style of play, tactics etc
"We moved the ball very well played and created a lot of chances. People like this kind of football but what happened today is one of the reasons I don't because from nowhere they scored a goal!"

Sounds like Mourinho

An enormous amount i would think

Norf Tyrone

Never heard the interview EG....but a stupid comment. Effectivelly he's almost confirming he's a puppet!

Norf Tyrone

Strong rumours of Ronaldinho to the Bridge in the transfer window along with Anelka. Also a rumour that Drogba out until Feb with knee problem :-(