The Official Thread of Chelsea FC

Started by Norf Tyrone, January 23, 2007, 11:16:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: stew on November 22, 2012, 01:50:32 AM
RA is an egomaniac, to let a man go that won the FA cup and CL, whose team a month ago was leading the PL.

It takes time to change the way you play, he has done a great job infusing some new blood into the lineup and was transitioning the squad, preparing for the likes of the post Terry & Lampard era.

Rafa is some pup, not a chance in hell he wasn't interviewing for a job another man held, classless if so.

I hope Chelsea win feck all and that De Matteo gets a better gig and kicks Chelsea's arse with his new team.

That's exactly the point. Every manager that came in to Chelsea had a formula that worked. 4-3-3, with Terry at the back, Drogba up top, and Lampard arriving late to support him. So every manager had a head start when they came into Chelsea.

However RDM basically had to reinvent everything. I don't believe that this 4-2-3-1 with Mata, Oscar and Hazard would work. Grand going forward but when possession was lost the midfield was too light and got bypassed quickly, putting the defence under pressure straight away, and no wingers meant that the full backs were exposed too as Chelsea had no wingers.

It was going to take RDM time to perfect this.

And then to compound it, they give the job to a man that is hated at SW6.  He might help organise things, and bring structure, but his personal attacks on Chelsea and their supporters has not been forgotten, and he'll get serious abuse this coming Sunday.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

deiseach

It'll be interesting to see how Rafa gets on. I think he's got a tremendous football brain and a set of achievements that match up with anyone (apart from Alex Ferguson). However, his failure at Inter was calamitous and he's walking into an almost identical situation here. I genuinely wish him well, still a top man in my book.

EC Unique

Quote from: onefaircounty on November 22, 2012, 09:23:32 AM
Quote from: EC Unique on November 21, 2012, 09:30:18 PM
Class. TFSW is back. Always good for a laugh.. Will help lift a boring enough season.

Do you not realise that you sound like an absolute idiot when you use phrases like this?

It's not funny, nobody giggles when they read your post, I hope. You just sound like an 11-year-old who is trying too hard.

Good man.  There is always at least one. ;D

Liverpool fans are going to be confused when they play Chelsea now. Who will they support?

Denn Forever

I'd say the most important thing (or what RA and Chelsea fans hope) for Rafa is to get Torres working.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Denn Forever on November 22, 2012, 09:52:13 AM
I'd say the most important thing (or what RA and Chelsea fans hope) for Rafa is to get Torres working.

The problem is, is that this is 'get Torres working' Version IV.

I always wonder how detailed the medical was the day that transfer was rushed through. I'd prefer to give Sturridge the chance he never has got.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

nrico2006

Quote from: Denn Forever on November 22, 2012, 09:52:13 AM

A lot is being made of the Rafa and Torres thing, but I feel Torres has lost the one thing that made him that bit special, his speed.  No manager is going to be able to make that come back.  Too many injuries and he is not getting any younger.

As for TFSW, it was the first thing that came into my head when I heard him being appointed yesterday.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

AQMP

Norf, can you change the thread title to "The Official Thread of Chelsea FC - Benitez Out"

Frankly I don't care if he has the football brain of Guardiola, Ferguson and Mourinho to the power of 10.  Radio 5Live called it right last night (for once) when its reporter said he hadn't spoken to a single Chelsea fan who was happy with the appointment.

Chelsea is a big club but I would never take that job, in respect for my former team at Liverpool, no matter what." Rafa Benitez 2007.

Bingo

At least Rafa doesn't have to worry about the fans turning against him. I can only imagine that he knows he is in on for the short term regardless of what he achieves or doesn't achieve. Its fairly clear that he is only warming the seat for Pep and when he decides to come back it will be a bidding war for his services with Chelsea, City and PSG all leading the way foir him, maybe even United if it is later rather than sooner.

Rafa will do a good club at Chelsea, they have the players and he will make them harder to beat, which has been a problem for them. If he can get Torres firing, Chelsea will have a good season and could be close in the league. They have the attacking flair but they need a striker to get them the goals that their play creates - the Liverpool game been a perfect example.

deiseach

Quote from: AQMP on November 22, 2012, 09:58:44 AM
Chelsea is a big club but I would never take that job, in respect for my former team at Liverpool, no matter what." Rafa Benitez 2007.

Why would he say that in 2007 when he was still manager of Liverpool? What is your source for this quote?

deiseach

Quote from: Bingo on November 22, 2012, 10:00:34 AM
At least Rafa doesn't have to worry about the fans turning against him. I can only imagine that he knows he is in on for the short term regardless of what he achieves or doesn't achieve. Its fairly clear that he is only warming the seat for Pep and when he decides to come back it will be a bidding war for his services with Chelsea, City and PSG all leading the way foir him, maybe even United if it is later rather than sooner.

I doubt Rafa is being that negative in his own mind. Win the league, all is forgiven.

NAG1

Not that I like him, but think this is a good appointment for Chelsea and they could be a serious threat now. He is going to get them organised and hard to beat and if they can couple that with their attacking threat then they will definitely be contenders in May.

AQMP

Quote from: deiseach on November 22, 2012, 10:03:54 AM

Why would he say that in 2007 when he was still manager of Liverpool? What is your source for this quote?

Sorry my mistake I copied the date from another quote about plastic flags.  The full quote "allegedly" is "Chelsea is a big club with fantastic players, every manager wants to coach a such a big team. I would never take that job, in respect for my former team at Liverpool, no matter what".

My source is a mate who's a Liverpool fan.  It's being widely quoted on Liverpool blog sites etc.  However I may be mistaken, something now tells me it might be a quote from Gerard Houllier masquerading as a Benitez quote.  If so, I hold my hand up.  I've got it wrong.

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: AQMP on November 22, 2012, 10:50:35 AM
Quote from: deiseach on November 22, 2012, 10:03:54 AM

Sorry my mistake I copied the date from another quote about plastic flags.  The full quote "allegedly" is "Chelsea is a big club with fantastic players, every manager wants to coach a such a big team. I would never take that job, in respect for my former team at Liverpool, no matter what".

My source is a mate who's a Liverpool fan.  It's being widely quoted on Liverpool blog sites etc.  However I may be mistaken, something now tells me it might be a quote from Gerard Houllier masquerading as a Benitez quote>>  If so, I hold my hand up. I've got it wrong.

Well I guess he did take credit for his Champion's League win  ;)

ballinaman

Least this has stirred up the interest in the league this year, could get very interesting with Rafa back on the scene. I think he'll doing well with Chelsea, solid manager wherever he's been....even though a bit prone to the odd meltdown...

deiseach

Quote from: ballinaman on November 22, 2012, 11:43:35 AM
Least this has stirred up the interest in the league this year, could get very interesting with Rafa back on the scene. I think he'll doing well with Chelsea, solid manager wherever he's been....even though a bit prone to the odd meltdown...

;D