The future of laois hurling

Started by Tobias, October 27, 2015, 08:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moregroundhurling

Quote from: BallyroanAbbey on November 28, 2018, 06:23:05 PM
Its as cowardly a move as has been seen in a long time, they have taken the easy way out instead of trying to take the final step, both have been to semi finals in recent years, i hope they remember that for every rathdowney/errill there is a harps also

You have to imagine that Ballinakill are the ones instigating all of this. You cannot blame them, competing against big amalgamations. Village v Town and Village. They don't have a chance. Kids playing in clubs all over the place in underage teams. Any teams on their own competing in the "B".
But I suppose BallyroanAbbey has a point, it would be taking the cowards way out like the people of Rathdowney, errill,borris in ossory, kilcotton, castletown, slieve bloom, durrow, cullohill, clough, ballacolla, timahoe, rathineska have done in recent years/decades. Actually I'm going to toss camross in there too (Camross, Killenure, Colraine)What kind of a chance would ballinakill have if all of those teams were still on their own
However the rewards for cowardice are greater than ever. Interesting times ahead though, hopefully both clubs Alan Hartnett will keep Alan Hartnett involved in the negotions so the whole county can get all the gossip.

burdizzo

Were Ballacolla and Clough ever separate clubs?

BallyroanAbu

I'd say Ballyroan Abbey will be alright, there will be no Juvenile Teams off Abbeyleix's Junior C Football Team.  There will be no transfers between both clubs.  Ballyroan Abbey is not an amalgamation thus we have no say in Abbeyleix's decision.  This present's challenges for Ballyroan Abbey which we will have to overcome.  My personal opinion Abbeyleix are giving up quite alot in history and identity on the premise of winning County Senior Titles,  that is not always guranteed.  Ballinakill are the big winners in this,  surely it will be one of the biggest clubs in the country geographically.  I have no idea how the other hurling clubs will react.  Ballypickas & Spink I imagine will struggle,  as Ballinakill already struggling for numbers will now have to form a Junior C football team.

Wonder what the name of the new club will be,  surely not "Kill Abbey"

Blow-in

Are Abbeyleix and Ballinakill the same parish? All the clubs mentioned by moregroundhurling are the same parish(I think, correct me if I'm wrong). But then again Parish rule doesnt apply in Laois. We will end up like Carlow with only 5 senior teams and an extremely shallow pool of players to pick from.

BallyroanAbu

Parish rule is only a Laois county bye law identifying a catchment area, there is several examples of it being ignored Timahoe Ratheniska, Sleive Margy.  It seems the parish rule can be overruled by county committee.  Don't ask me

burdizzo

Quote from: Batman!!! on November 29, 2018, 09:29:58 AM
Are Abbeyleix and Ballinakill the same parish? All the clubs mentioned by moregroundhurling are the same parish(I think, correct me if I'm wrong). But then again Parish rule doesnt apply in Laois. We will end up like Carlow with only 5 senior teams and an extremely shallow pool of players to pick from.

On the other hand, Carlow hurling has moved ahead of Laois at county level, so perhaps there is some merit in it after all...!
However, I do agree with your point - more and more amalgamations means fewer and fewer playing numbers in the long run.

Giovanni

Maybe a bigger issue for the future of Laois hurling is why Portlaoise have only one player on the Minor Hurling panel. Given the size of the club, that's very disappointing indeed.

https://www.laoistoday.ie/2018/11/28/revealed-laois-minor-hurling-panel-for-2019-announced/

SpeculativeEffort

Quote from: Batman!!! on November 29, 2018, 09:29:58 AM

100% agree. Hurling will end up like rugby with 2-3 playing in different areas and no culture of the game being widely and commonly played. Maybe divisional teams drawn up by county board would solve this as players would get a chance at winning county c'ships and representing their own home club at the relevant grade. Eg Abbeykill at senior or whatever and both teams field at their own grade. Clubs like Timahoe and Ballinakill effectively disappearing is not good for hurling.

Ontheborder

Quote from: burdizzo on November 29, 2018, 08:39:34 AM
Were Ballacolla and Clough ever separate clubs?

My family in Clough played for St Canices in the 60s but I don't know if that was separate to Ballacola at the time.

les Antiques

Hard to believe that alright . 45 lads picked for a Minor Hurling panel  with just  one from the largest Town in the county . A town that doesn't exactly lack in hurling tradition !

Don Draper

Quote from: les Antiques on November 29, 2018, 03:05:18 PM
Hard to believe that alright . 45 lads picked for a Minor Hurling panel  with just  one from the largest Town in the county . A town that doesn't exactly lack in hurling tradition !
Questionable enough 45 too

clonadmad

Quote from: Don Draper on November 29, 2018, 08:19:49 PM
Quote from: les Antiques on November 29, 2018, 03:05:18 PM
Questionable enough 45 too

Which ones then?

TheGiantSquid

The big winners in all of this would be the Castletowns, portlaoise, Harps, Rosenalis, Balyfin, Shanahoe etc as it would free up another spot in the 8 Senior teams. It would shake up Laois Hurling, also as the big 4 of Camross, R/E, C/Ballacolla and B/Kilcotton have dominated for a decade. Adding a 5th "Powerhouse" if you will has its pros and cons. For everyone saying that it will destroy small rural clubs, I ask do the likes of Kyle or Balipickas really worry about a Camross or Ballacollas first team ever??? So what difference should this make? I've no affiliation with either club and am actually from one of the Big 4 but I think it would improve the competition. If only the Arles Kileen/Kilcruise of this world would swallow their  pride also and maybe the football wouldn't be the foregone conclusion it has become over the last decade.

Mad Mentor

Comprehensive win for St. Fergal's today in the North Leinster C Junior hurling semi-final. They defeated St. Joseph's of Rochfortbridge 2-18 to 1-2 in Rathdowney. A good mix of R/E, B/K and C/B hurlers on the team. Eight of them are on the County minor panel.

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Mad Mentor on January 16, 2019, 08:10:19 PM
Comprehensive win for St. Fergal's today in the North Leinster C Junior hurling semi-final. They defeated St. Joseph's of Rochfortbridge 2-18 to 1-2 in Rathdowney. A good mix of R/E, B/K and C/B hurlers on the team. Eight of them are on the County minor panel.

Great result. How is it Fergal's are at C level in this competition? Wouldn't expect them to be A but thought they might be B.