GAA doing a deal with SkySports

Started by thejuice, March 27, 2014, 02:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

This thread is turning into a Father Ted sketch full of Irish stereotypes.

Couldn't believe Eugene McGee on Today FM earlier, and I got the feeling that the more times he said out loud about pensioners not being able to see game, the more ludicrous he realised it sounded.

Here's the bottom line folks. RTE has no more room in their schedule for coverage. They genuinely don't unless Championship games are moved to weekdays. So they're out.

TV3 can do nothing to further the game. They simply don't have the budgets to improve live TV coverage by adding cameras, features and personalities; nor do they have international reach.

TG4. Much as I love my winter football, there's maybe only 7 people in Ireland want to listen to commentary in Irish, and even less among our diaspora.

It had to leave 'free' TV. I'm just glad it has gone to the market leader for Sports coverage.

Eamonnca1

I just lost the Primetime feed at the commercial break.

I liked Paraic's comeback at the start. "...or go to the match."

Eamonnca1

It's a great point. All these "die-hard fans who sacrificed everything including their lives"* are all bent out of shape about having to pay a few quid back into the organization so you can be an armchair fan?  Why aren't you at the match? 

*yes, exaggeration. But you get my point.

Redhand Santa

It was inevitable they were going to find someone in the audience to throw out the old grab all association line! Thought Brennan and Duffy dealt with it all quite well. Brennan responded to that point by throwing back that over 80 per cent of money coming in centrally is reinvested at club and county level. A lot of people dont seem to realise the cost of running an organisation like the gaa.

armaghniac

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 01, 2014, 08:43:46 PM
It's only nine games FFS! Viewers in Ireland lose 9 games, international viewers gain them all. We come out ahead overall.

It is Irish teams that are playing in these games and the people in these places that will not be able to see their county. Let the GAA provide British games to people in Britain if it wants, but stop taxing people in Ireland to facilitate foreigners. 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Redhand Santa on April 01, 2014, 11:08:20 PM
It was inevitable they were going to find someone in the audience to throw out the old grab all association line! Thought Brennan and Duffy dealt with it all quite well. Brennan responded to that point by throwing back that over 80 per cent of money coming in centrally is reinvested at club and county level. A lot of people dont seem to realise the cost of running an organisation like the gaa.

Sure the newspaper comments today were full of the old "nobody knows where the money goes" garbage.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: armaghniac on April 01, 2014, 11:09:38 PM
It's only nine games FFS! Viewers in Ireland lose 9 games, international viewers gain them all. We come out ahead overall.

It is Irish teams that are playing in these games and the people in these places that will not be able to see their county. Let the GAA provide British games to people in Britain if it wants, but stop taxing people in Ireland to facilitate foreigners.

Oh, so you lose Irish citizenship as soon as you emigrate? Am I a "foreigner" now?

Redhand Santa

I'm sure the vast majority of fans are well fit to and able to attend the games. If not they can make a choice if sky is worth it for 9 games. If not they can go to a friends house who has sky or down to the local pub. Failing that they can listen to it on the radio and watch highlights on rte. Not all championship games are currently live and I don't see any uproar over that and people cope.

I see sky will be doing a midweek highlights show. This could be good if they put a bit of effort into it. Currently there's too much crap talking on rte and not enough coverage of games not live on tv, would be great if this was a decent highlights show.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: hardstation on April 01, 2014, 11:12:51 PM
True that. Do ye ever see the cut of some of the videos Eamonn posts of hurling in America etc? Let them watch that garbage.

Ouch.

That hurts.

That is like a dagger through my heart.  :'(

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Redhand Santa on April 01, 2014, 11:18:23 PM

I'm sure the vast majority of fans are well fit to and able to attend the games. If not they can make a choice if sky is worth it for 9 games. If not they can go to a friends house who has sky or down to the local pub. Failing that they can listen to it on the radio and watch highlights on rte. Not all championship games are currently live and I don't see any uproar over that and people cope.

I see sky will be doing a midweek highlights show. This could be good if they put a bit of effort into it. Currently there's too much crap talking on rte and not enough coverage of games not live on tv, would be great if this was a decent highlights show.

Sure it wasn't so long ago when the only "coverage" was on the wireless.  In my dad's day he had to tr**p over a mile to someone's house where there was a radio. Some fierce sense of entitlement soon sinks in, people demanding the "right" to view games on their armchairs for nothing.

armaghniac

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 02, 2014, 12:03:43 AM
Sure it wasn't so long ago when the only "coverage" was on the wireless.  In my dad's day he had to tr**p over a mile to someone's house where there was a radio. Some fierce sense of entitlement soon sinks in, people demanding the "right" to view games on their armchairs for nothing.

Why shouldn't they, it is not as if your Dad had to pay per listen on his neighbour's radio.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Eamonnca1

Quote from: armaghniac on April 02, 2014, 12:34:05 AM
Why shouldn't they, it is not as if your Dad had to pay per listen on his neighbour's radio.

Play me the world's smallest violin. What do you think we've been doing out here for years? $20 a head to squeeze into a crowded pub to watch a match, that's what. And you're crying about having to pay to see handful of qualifier games that didn't even exist a few years ago when you still get over 30 games a year for free?

Carmen Stateside

So people in Austailia will get all games free to air.  Don't see anything in this deal to help people in the US see matches.  Do we still have to go to bars early in the morning and hand over $20 to premium sports to watch?

Eamonnca1

RTE streaming if I understand it correctly