GAA doing a deal with SkySports

Started by thejuice, March 27, 2014, 02:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Paraic Duffy coming up on Newstalk at the top of the hour...

Sidney

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 01, 2014, 06:53:56 PM
The Australian part of the deal is what caught my eye. Apparently Channel 7 is the highest rating terrestrial channel in Oz.  This is a big deal.
They are the main broadcaster for the AFL (and also make Home and Away  ;)).

haranguerer

There is no downside to this for our sport. Anyone crying about it can only be doing so out of petty self-interest.

Jeepers Creepers

Wullie Frazer is having a Sky box burning event.  SKY R A!

Zulu

You're being more than a tad dramatic. Most people, could go to the pub or a mates to watch some of the 9 matches unavailable to them if they really want to see them.

laoislad

All you need is a laptop and the right website. No one needs to be paying Sky anything.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Qwerty28

Might actually increase qualifier attendances....anything that promotes the game, esp abroad has to be welcomed and encouraged. Look at attendance of All Ireland finalists at the weekend compare to Leinster v Munster rugby....the people complaining about this deal are the same who'll whinge about an all Ireland final ticket availability yet wont go to league fixture involving the same teams!

Eamonnca1

It's only nine games FFS! Viewers in Ireland lose 9 games, international viewers gain them all. We come out ahead overall.

seafoid

One thing I hope they never introduce to GAA matches is the inane Continental  football and icehockey custom of the stadium announcer announcing the teams by giving the first name of the each player and the crowd replying with the surname. 
They also do it for goals. Pure shite.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

GalwayBayBoy

Does seems a bit odd though that you can watch 45 games for free on terrestrial television in Australia yet living in Ireland you will need a Sky subscription to watch some games.

Usually cancel Sky during the Summer months but I noticed Sligo v Galway/London is their first football game in June.

Eamonnca1

Redhand Santa

Coming on now on prime time. Ciaran Whelan says its a bad move and that the gaa is an ameteur organisation and shouldn't be doing thing for commercial gain. I hope this is challenged. The gaa have made it clear that this is not about money but promotion of the games and the extra money is marginal. I wonder does Ciaran do his role on the Sunday Game for free as its an ameteur organisation that they're broadcasting on and he's providing a service to his fellow gaa members.

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: Redhand Santa on April 01, 2014, 09:46:39 PM
Coming on now on prime time. Ciaran Whelan says its a bad move and that the gaa is an ameteur organisation and shouldn't be doing thing for commercial gain. I hope this is challenged. The gaa have made it clear that this is not about money but promotion of the games and the extra money is marginal. I wonder does Ciaran do his role on the Sunday Game for free as its an ameteur organisation that they're broadcasting on and he's providing a service to his fellow gaa members.

Aye! Dublin set up ain't exactly amatuer.

Rossfan

I'm sure people on the breadline have more to worry them than not being able to see some 9 GAA games on their own TV.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

BennyHarp

Quote from: Redhand Santa on April 01, 2014, 09:46:39 PM

Although the money paid by Sky may not be huge, I'd imagine the larger coverage would attract bigger sponsorship revenue. On a separate issue, Premier Sports are still broadcasting most of the GAA in Britain this summer:

PREMIER SPORTS ANNOUNCE CONTINUED  GAA COVERAGE IN GREAT BRITAIN

CHANNEL WINS EXCLUSIVE COVERAGE OF PACKS 2,3,4,7,8 & 9

WILL CONTINUE TO SHOW OVER 75% OF GAA BROADCASTS

Premier Sports, operating exclusively on SKY channel 428 and Virgin 551 in the UK have today announced they will continue to be the home of GAA in Great Britain for a further 3 years.

The deal will see the channel cover the following content;

-          Exclusive coverage of 26 games each season for the next 3 years from the GAA Championships.

-          Includes Sunday Provincial games including the finals from all 4 regions, 1st/2nd choice of qualifiers from rounds 1 and 2 and 4 Quarter Finals.

-          Exclusive coverage of over 30 Allianz League games including TG4 games in English.

-          Minimum of 6 Club Championship games covering the semi-finals and finals.

Richard Sweeney, General Manager of Premier Sports commented, "We are delighted to continue to be the main broadcaster of GAA and offer fans in Great Britain the above content for the great value price of only £9.99 per month."
That was never a square ball!!