GAA crowds

Started by Truth hurts, April 08, 2024, 09:14:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Truth hurts

One thing that struck me yesterday was the low attendance at the games. How can we get the people back? The prices are far too high.

AustinPowers

You made me  stay at home, Kathleen.

JoG2

Quote from: Truth hurts on April 08, 2024, 09:14:38 AMOne thing that struck me yesterday was the low attendance at the games. How can we get the people back? The prices are far too high.

Are the numbers down?

I agree with prices, especially as the games are coming thick and fast.

* Unless you're from Dublin / Kerry, there is no reason to buy a season ticket. It's almost like they're trying not to shift them

* when you're not looking at sell out, U16s should be free

* should be some sort of loyalty scheme (individual and family) for those who attend most games.

lurganblue

The whole package including travel, tickets and what you spend that day is really getting to be too costly, especially for families.  When you then add in the schedule of games that will come think and fast, then low numbers at the outset is inevitable.

seafoid

There is no jeopardy for the majority of  teams in the top 2 divisions. Being beaten doesn't mean what it used to mean. The provincials should be separate from the all Ireland . The system is not the finished article.

Rossfan

4k in Carrick* and De Páirc. About what you'd expect at those 2 fixtures.
Dungarvan just over 1k, probably about what you'd expect.
Didn't see any figures for Leinster where crowds have been declining for years in a one team Competition.
Cavan v Monaghan was a pretty poor turn out for a fixture which regularly drew 5 figure crowds.

*€30 for a stand seat was a disgrace for a Qtr Final. No wonder the Stand was half empty.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

armaghniac

Quote from: Rossfan on April 08, 2024, 10:08:21 AMDidn't see any figures for Leinster where crowds have been declining for years in a one team Competition.

The likes of Kildare and Meath should have substantial numbers of supporters and have had in the past, but now lack any sense of championship.
However, a few Wicklow people will likely turn out for the Kildare game.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Tones

Quote from: lurganblue on April 08, 2024, 09:35:56 AMThe whole package including travel, tickets and what you spend that day is really getting to be too costly, especially for families.  When you then add in the schedule of games that will come think and fast, then low numbers at the outset is inevitable.

Also add in the standard of football, Fermanagh / Armagh could be 0-04 - 0-02.

Itchy

Quote from: Rossfan on April 08, 2024, 10:08:21 AM4k in Carrick* and De Páirc. About what you'd expect at those 2 fixtures.
Dungarvan just over 1k, probably about what you'd expect.
Didn't see any figures for Leinster where crowds have been declining for years in a one team Competition.
Cavan v Monaghan was a pretty poor turn out for a fixture which regularly drew 5 figure crowds.

*€30 for a stand seat was a disgrace for a Qtr Final. No wonder the Stand was half empty.

I was on the hill in Clones and there was hardly a Monaghan fan around me. Maybe they were all in the stand but it felt like there was more Cavan support at the match?

snoopdog

The early championship doesn't help either. Bobble hats at championship just isn't right. They're going up against PL run in. And pricing fans out of it. 20 euro for a seat and 15 for terrace would be enough. U16s need to be free. The crowds were abysmal yesterday. It's 1980s attendances.  It's as if they're doing it on purpose to get rid of the provincial. The gaa do nothing to promote the championship either. Its dying a death. We only have 3 games now . The 2  AI semis and the AI final.

Dreadnought

It's not just price. It's timing. League was 2 weeks ago. I was at Clones yesterday, but I don't live in my home county anymore. It's tiring driving around so often each weekend. That was my 8th game in 11 weeks, 5 of those away (although all 8 are away for me now). It's exhaustion after League, and haven't time to decompartmentalise the League and get over it. If April was back to club games, May for Championship, the you'd have the time and money to get back up for it after Lague was well over. And it'd be better weather, harder pitches and so on. And you'd still finish it in August and not be competing with other sports like the soccer derbies yesterday or rugby and so on. It needs a clear break for people to refresh and be ready to go back at it

Dreadnought

Quote from: snoopdog on April 08, 2024, 11:56:58 AMThe early championship doesn't help either. Bobble hats at championship just isn't right. They're going up against PL run in. And pricing fans out of it. 20 euro for a seat and 15 for terrace would be enough. U16s need to be free. The crowds were abysmal yesterday. It's 1980s attendances.  It's as if they're doing it on purpose to get rid of the provincial. The gaa do nothing to promote the championship either. Its dying a death. We only have 3 games now . The 2  AI semis and the AI final.
It's exactly this. Slowly suffocate a product so when you want to kill it, it'll be easier done. And it'll be a shame rather than trying to make them work

And oddly it'll be bad overall for the GAA. If there's one thing they understand is money. And bad attendance hits them in the pocket. They might have to move things back into summer to try and get crowds back. They need to

AustinPowers

They are devaluing  every competition. 

League finals they want to keep, yet  some teams are out  again 6/7 days later. So they  have one eye on  that

Provincials  are played off in Benny Hill style  like they are an inconvenience. Even the All Ireland semis and finals are  rushed. No time to prepare, digest and  preview big games.

I understand the need for  a split season , but  the whole thing is  being handled really poorly

bennydorano

Great article/ piece with Jim Mcguinness in today's Irish News, a full throated defence of USFC & the provincial series. He made the point, that has been made here before, that counties trying to compete v Dublin and Kerry need financial support and development plans to make them competitive  again - as a better alternative to just scrapping them.

Tones

Quote from: AustinPowers on April 08, 2024, 12:26:42 PM
Quote from: Dreadnought on April 08, 2024, 12:04:54 PM
Quote from: snoopdog on April 08, 2024, 11:56:58 AMThe early championship doesn't help either. Bobble hats at championship just isn't right. They're going up against PL run in. And pricing fans out of it. 20 euro for a seat and 15 for terrace would be enough. U16s need to be free. The crowds were abysmal yesterday. It's 1980s attendances.  It's as if they're doing it on purpose to get rid of the provincial. The gaa do nothing to promote the championship either. Its dying a death. We only have 3 games now . The 2  AI semis and the AI final.
It's exactly this. Slowly suffocate a product so when you want to kill it, it'll be easier done. And it'll be a shame rather than trying to make them work

And oddly it'll be bad overall for the GAA. If there's one thing they understand is money. And bad attendance hits them in the pocket. They might have to move things back into summer to try and get crowds back. They need to

I understand the need for  a split season , but  the whole thing is  being handled really poorly

The hiring of Croke Park to international acts over the summer?