Who will win the 2024 Ulster title

Donegal
27 (56.3%)
Armagh
21 (43.8%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Voting closed: April 27, 2024, 08:54:31 PM

Blowitupref

Starts on Sunday. Monaghan v Cavan in Clones at 4pm and will be live on BBC and RTE.

Quarter finals

Down v Antrim
Fermanagh v Armagh
Derry v Donegal
Tyrone v Monaghan/Cavan

Semi finals

Down/Antrim v Fermanagh/Armagh
Derry/Donegal v Tyrone/Monaghan/Cavan
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Armagh18

Quote from: Derryman forever on April 01, 2024, 10:00:58 PMArmaghs to lose.
;)

You're like one of the Crossmaglen boyos who always try to make out they're the underdogs in Armagh.

SHEEDY

Derry to beat Donegal then Tyrone then Armagh just to win Ulster, compare this to Kerry or Dublin's run in the provincials. Derry be burnt out by time quarters come round.
nil satis nisi optimum

armaghniac

Quote from: SHEEDY on April 01, 2024, 10:59:10 PMDerry to beat Donegal then Tyrone then Armagh just to win Ulster, compare this to Kerry or Dublin's run in the provincials. Derry be burnt out by time quarters come round.

Which is reflected in that Kerry and Dublin are strong favourites to win their provinces, more than all other put together. Derry are the most likely team to win Ulster, but one of the above or Monaghan might win also, so it is as likely that Derry win Ulster or do not win Ulster.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Wildweasel74

Only 1 team done 3 in a row since Down in the 60's, so I wouldn't want Derry to fall into the trap that the Ulster championship a do or die, if beat, its better going out early.Still think they the strongest team in Ulster, it depend if they see 3 in a row as a must!

Armagh18

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on April 01, 2024, 11:13:49 PMOnly 1 team done 3 in a row since Down in the 60's, so I wouldn't want Derry to fall into the trap that the Ulster championship a do or die, if beat, its better going out early.Still think they the strongest team in Ulster, it depend if they see 3 in a row as a must!
Harte will want to win the lot but they'll have 3 wars to win in Ulstrr

JoG2

Quote from: armaghniac on April 01, 2024, 11:05:52 PM
Quote from: SHEEDY on April 01, 2024, 10:59:10 PMDerry to beat Donegal then Tyrone then Armagh just to win Ulster, compare this to Kerry or Dublin's run in the provincials. Derry be burnt out by time quarters come round.

Which is reflected in that Kerry and Dublin are strong favourites to win their provinces, more than all other put together. Derry are the most likely team to win Ulster, but one of the above or Monaghan might win also, so it is as likely that Derry win Ulster or do not win Ulster.

100%..any of the teams on our side of the draw or Armagh could win Ulster. The games are coming thick and fast

SouthOfThe Bann

Will Derry want to give up top seed?

Best to avoid the Dubs or Kerry until the semis.

If you don't top your group you're creating an extra game when a 2 week break would be of more of an advantage in the latter stages of the All Ireland.

Wouldn't be ideal playing Dublin or Kerry after a round of 12 game the week before.

An Watcher

I think they should just armagh the ulster title.  2 years running it's been set up for them.  Maybe this will be their year

Itchy

Rory Beggan back for Monaghan according to reports. That's a big boost. I know these games are normally close affairs, regardless of what level either team is performing at. Cavan have won the last 2 encounters in championship but I just cannot see us doing it this time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavan%E2%80%93Monaghan_Gaelic_football_rivalry

tbrick18

I personally think it's between Derry/Donegal/Armagh for Ulster.
Derry will be favourites, but Donegal could beat them in the first round as that's what they'll have been preparing for since McGuinnes came back. A lot will depend on injuries having cleared up.
If Donegal are without McBrearty and McHugh, they will struggle against the Derry defence I feel.
But Derry could be withouth McKinless and Doherty who both left the field injured yesterday which might even things up.

Armagh have the easy side of the draw and should get to a final. A repeat of the Div2 final would mean a close game I feel.
A repeat of last years Ulster final would not be as close. Derry have kicked on and if Armagh couldn't beat us last year in the circumstances, I can't see them doing it this year. And I think if Armagh had to face penalties again, they might just leave the pitch ;)
I could be wrong though, Armagh have protected players throughout the league and got promotion, so perhaps I'm underestimating them.
Armagh for Sam.

armaghniac

Quote from: tbrick18 on April 02, 2024, 10:04:24 AMI personally think it's between Derry/Donegal/Armagh for Ulster.
Derry will be favourites, but Donegal could beat them in the first round as that's what they'll have been preparing for since McGuinnes came back. A lot will depend on injuries having cleared up.
If Donegal are without McBrearty and McHugh, they will struggle against the Derry defence I feel.
But Derry could be withouth McKinless and Doherty who both left the field injured yesterday which might even things up.

Armagh have the easy side of the draw and should get to a final. A repeat of the Div2 final would mean a close game I feel.
A repeat of last years Ulster final would not be as close. Derry have kicked on and if Armagh couldn't beat us last year in the circumstances, I can't see them doing it this year. And I think if Armagh had to face penalties again, they might just leave the pitch ;)
I could be wrong though, Armagh have protected players throughout the league and got promotion, so perhaps I'm underestimating them.
Armagh for Sam.

Armagh for Sam is a bit over the top, but they had not ouverused some players who may be fresher in May as a consequence.  However, a "shock" in Donegal v Derry is possible, it would be really important to Donegal, but Derry know that they can reach the QFs one way or the other and their real championship starts then.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

SouthOfThe Bann

Jim will definitely have something up his sleeve for Derry.

Will depend on the injuries clearing up though as said previously.

Armagh18

Quote from: tbrick18 on April 02, 2024, 10:04:24 AMI personally think it's between Derry/Donegal/Armagh for Ulster.

Armagh for Sam.

If its gonna be penalties we have a secret weapon this year in that we have a goalkeeper in nets now ;) would take a miracle to run Derry that close going by the weekend.