Maddie McCann

Started by ExiledGael, May 14, 2007, 08:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fearglasmor

It seems in cases like this the police in collusion with the media put out false stories in an effort to try and jog peoples senses or flush out any possible suspects.

magpie seanie

None of this makes sense to me at all.

Square Ball

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 17, 2007, 11:42:23 AM
None of this makes sense to me at all.

nor me really, just hope that it is brought to  a conclusion one way or the other. cant see how the parents and friends would be able to pull off such an elaborate charade for so long given the intense media coverage and minute dissection of the evidence by every budding PI out there.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

A Quinn Martin Production

This is from today's "London" Independent

Police: no breakthrough in search for Madeleine
By Ian Herbert
Published: 17 August 2007

The chaos engulfing the investigation into Madeleine McCann's disappearance worsened yesterday when the national director of policing in Portugal admitted he had "no idea" where the child might be and said the investigation was nowhere near a breakthrough.

The comments by Alipio Ribeiro, national director of the Policia Judiciaria (PJ), made a mockery of disclosures by Olegario Sousa, the PJ's spokesman in the Algarve, who has hinted a breakthrough might be near and again said this week a sniffer dog had detected the scent of a body in the hunt for Madeleine, with the implication that she might have died in the apartment where she was last seen alive.

Speaking after preliminary tests results showed that flecks of blood found at the McCanns' apartment were not from Madeleine, Mr Ribeiro said it was simply not possible to say whether she was dead or alive.

"There is a long way yet to go and it would be frivolous of me to say we are near the end," he told Spain's El Mundo newspaper. "The hypothesis (that she is dead) is perceptible for everyone. Although it's true that it's a strong hypothesis and there is always that possibility, we cannot say that she is dead."

Mr Ribeiro admitted the police still have no idea what the motive for the abduction was - three months after Madeleine went missing from the apartment in Praia da Luz. He said: "We have to be clear we are working to clear up a difficult situation, above all in relation to the motive. It could have been for money, for revenge, for hate. We don't know. I am optimistic because I believe we will end up understanding everything that happened. We have to recognise the expectation is low. It is not easy."

Mr Ribeiro said a blood sample found at the McCanns' apartment had been sent to the UK to see if there was a match with the DNA database of British criminals but it was impossible to check the DNA sample against British expatriates living in Praia da Luz. He said: "That is not possible. The UK is the most advanced country with regard to databases. It has a much more complete database. But we cannot imagine making a comparison with all the British [in Praia da Luz]."

The blood test shows the sample probably came from a man from the "north-east European sub-group". That conclusion is only 72 per cent accurate, however, due to the poor condition of the sample because of its age and cleaning of the bedroom. The Forensic Science Service in Birmingham is conducting further tests on the blood. A male guest is known to have injured himself while staying at the flat after Madeleine disappeared. That could explain why the blood was not found when Portuguese police searched the apartment after Madeleine's disappearance
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

Smokin Joe

Uladh

As far as i can work out, the parents are in the clear because neither of them were out of sight of the gathering for long enough at any stage, and certainly not for long enough to have disposed of a body as successfully as it seems to have been. the logical question is how do we know maddie was in the apartment at all that evening but the police obviously are content that this was the case.

nifan

Quote from: Uladh on August 23, 2007, 10:31:57 AM

As far as i can work out, the parents are in the clear because neither of them were out of sight of the gathering for long enough at any stage, and certainly not for long enough to have disposed of a body as successfully as it seems to have been. the logical question is how do we know maddie was in the apartment at all that evening but the police obviously are content that this was the case.

They have to have been some cold hearted killers to kill their daughter, put the other kids to bed, go out to a restauraunt and then pretend to discover her.
Not impossible i suppose, but doesnt seem likely

full back

If hopes of a breakthrough were pure speculation I would hope that the police would say so.
Going by what they are saying it has to be something very important, otherwise it is some pile of sh1t to be telling the parents.
The only other thing it can be is that they are hoping to make the person/s responsible get jittery & put them under pressure

pintsofguinness

QuoteGerry McCann said he was a "million miles" from changing his belief that the four year old was abducted on the night she disappeared.

Is it just me that finds that very odd? 
Ok he may want to believe his daughter is still alive but that is not the response I would have expected.  Why does he want people to believe she was snatched?  The more cyncial of us might point to the money they've made and the trips they've been on and maybe the police are to close for comfort.

Are we meant to believe that someone broke in to rob the place (took nothing), killed the child by accident and THEN took the body? Sure that would make no sense.  You hear of robberies going wrong and people being killed, but I've never heard of a robber taking the body with them!
If the police do belive this happened and the child is already dead, why are they insisting the Mccanns wait around Portugal?  Maybe they want the parents to be in the country when the body is found, but if they know where the body is what reason would they have for not getting it? 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

ONeill

I simply refuse to believe the McCanns had any involvement in this. Surely they can't have hoodwinked almost every media outlet across the globe, as well as thousands of sporting organisations, sports and music stars, businesses and retail outlets. For that reason I cannot entertain that notion.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Square Ball

Pretty similar to my views O'Neill, but what has gone on.

I think where POG has stated "are we meant to believe that someone broke in to rob the place (took nothing), killed the child by accident and THEN took the body? Sure that would make no sense.  You hear of robberies going wrong and people being killed, but I've never heard of a robber taking the body with them!" is the crux of this, especially if the police seem to be leaning towards she was killed by accident.

are the police sitting on evidence that proves she was killed in the room? are they just trying to appease public opinion and in fact have no idea what is happening and are preying for a break through?

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

balladmaker

Personally, I cannot entertain the possibility that the parents were involved, just sounds like total nonsense.

I am of the view that the Portuguese investigators do not have a clue as to what happened on the night, no leads, no forensics, no evidence whatsoever.  I think they may have botched the investigation from the very beginning and are now trying to give the impression to the outside world that they are making progress....a leak here, a leak there, but never anything concrete simply because they haven't got a clue!

Uladh

As has been said many times, they made a horrendous mistake. one i think i would never have made, certainly one noone should ever make again now. the agony they must feel on an hourly basis for letting their little girl down so tragically can never be taken away. us and people all over the world repeating the fact ad nauseum won't change that nor increase their anguish one iota. i can't imagine the pain could be any worse for them anyway.

Their family and their many volunteers have raised a substantial amount of money, there is no doubt. but i don't for one second believe that the mccanns are benefitting from that. the high profile ads and awareness campaigns we have all seen in many countries would take every cent of it. if i was in their situation money, work nor anything else would matter to me. in fact, that her body has not been found would be the only reason i could see for prolonging my own agony.

dubinhell

Just wait for the book and film in a few years

Smokin Joe

From a Philadelphia newspaper:

I have championed Don Imus keeping his job. I have defended Barry Bonds' achievements. I stood up for the falsely accused Duke lacrosse players long before they were cleared. I complimented a governor, whom I disagree with on virtually every policy, because he had the guts to take responsibility for a mistake. And I even stated that Paris Hilton was wrongly jailed, receiving unfair treatment because she is a celebrity.
But no matter how much I try, I simply cannot find anything worth defending about Gerry and Kate McCann. Or the complicit paper tiger known as the British media.
It has been nearly 100 days since little Madeleine McCann disappeared, yet intriguing developments and inconsistencies continue to emerge, literally day by day. There was a "100 percent sure" sighting of Madeleine in Belgium, subsequently debunked by DNA testing. A well-respected Portuguese newspaper, the daily Diario de Noticias, has alleged that intercepted e-mails and phone conversations between the McCanns and their friends show that they had knowledge of Madeleine's death.
The perception that the McCanns have not been forthright is building huge momentum. And, as we all know, rightly or wrongly, perception becomes reality.
Millions worldwide have kept Madeleine's story on the front page for a longer duration than ever thought possible. People have offered their prayers, thoughts, assistance, and yes, their wallets to the McCanns in the hope that Madeleine will be safely recovered.
Yet the McCanns' eccentric and illogical behavior, along with conflicting facts of what happened that fateful night, have begun to turn the tide of public opinion. Whereas very few publicly called for child endangerment charges to be brought against the McCanns back in May (yours truly was one of those voices in the wilderness), public opinion now strongly supports such action. Whereas very few originally espoused the notion that the abduction was in some way "faked," doubts about the official version of the May 3 events are now rampant. Whereas the initial investigation did not genuinely focus on the McCanns or their friends as possible suspects, a respected Portuguese newspaper just reported that detectives have "definitely abandoned" the theory that poor Madeleine was abducted, now believing that she was killed inside the McCanns' ground floor, unlocked apartment. Two specialized British dogs, one trained to detect blood and the other to identify the scent of a dead body, apparently reacted positively to both inside the room.
I am certainly in no position to state what actually happened to Madeleine, and there is not enough evidence - yet - to accuse the McCanns of physical wrongdoing, either deliberate or accidental (well, other than their horrendous lack of judgment and non-existent parenting skills). As previously stated, they should definitely be charged with child endangerment, if for no other reason than to ensure that this tragedy does not befall any other "Madeleines."

The British Media's Complicity
Thousands of Brits (and Aussies) have e-mailed with a fury on this issue. What is striking is the commonality on two main points. First, the vast majority of British people think that leaving young children alone while their parents go out to dinner is abhorrent behavior, especially for doctors who should certainly know better (Gerry is a cardiologist and Kate a general practitioner). Second, the British media has absolutely whitewashed the facts in this case, squashing any dissent of Team McCann and choosing fluff over substance. The blatant bias and orchestrated disinformation are outrageous: Letters to the editor are being filtered to only reflect "victim status" toward Gerry and Kate, blog posts and forums containing criticisms have been shut down, common sense questions continue to go unasked and objective journalism/investigative reporting are almost non-existent. All of this from a media establishment, both mainstream and the red top tabloids, that prides itself on its "print and be damned" attitude. Why the rose-colored glasses, and what about the true victim, Madeleine?
What sway the McCanns have over the media, I do not know. But the pendulum has begun to swing back, and the McCann media machine's vice grip on the media is now tenuous.
As famed Australian blogger Mike Hitchen wrote, "The British media establishment is very much a closed shop and operates on the simple concept that you can fool all of the people all of the time. In days gone by that was very much the case. But in their smugness they have failed to take into account an increasingly questioning public with access to information outside the traditional media."
Well said, mate!

Questions For The McCanns
If Gerry and Kate are sincere about cooperating fully with the police, there should be no issue answering some of the most basic questions:
1) Will you and your friends take lie detectors tests? While not guaranteed, they are a decent barometer for an investigation's direction. If there is nothing to hide, releasing the results would be a public relations boon, and the investigation could center around Madeleine for a change.
2) What time was it when you discovered Madeleine was missing? Was it 9 p.m., as Kate states, or 10 p.m.? And why the discrepancy? How long did it take for you to call the police? There are reports of a significant delay on your part. You stated that the shutters were forced open, but the police and hotel staff said there was no evidence of tampering. And Kate, why, upon discovering that Madeleine was missing, did you return to the restaurant, leaving the two-year old twins alone (again) while a predator could still have been lurking nearby? Since the restaurant was only "twenty yards" away, your screaming clearly would have been heard. Interestingly, Kate, you yelled, "They've taken her," but how did you know Madeleine was abducted? After all, the doors were unlocked. Madeleine was known to sleepwalk. Or perhaps this little girl just happened to awaken in a dark, unfamiliar place, becomes scared and, alone and understandably frightened, looked for the comfort of her parents. When she didn't see either of you in the apartment, could she have walked outside to find you? And, by the way, Kate, why did you say "they" took her?
3) Your resort was extremely child-friendly. Why not use the inexpensive babysitting services that were available? Some reports state that you did not want the children to be around unfamiliar people. Yet the same people who ran the day camp your children attended were also the babysitters. Also, how could "strangers" be any worse than leaving three young children (with a combined age of seven) alone in an unlocked apartment?
4) Exactly how far away was the restaurant? There are huge inconsistencies with your answers to this question. Was it 50 yards, 150 or just 20, as Kate stated in an interview last week? Could you in fact see the room from your table? How often did one of you walk back to check on the children before Madeleine went missing: Every hour, half-hour, or not at all? (The statements of the resort staff differ markedly from yours.) If, as you say, this arrangement was so secure, and you could see your apartment from your table, wouldn't you have been able to see any alleged abductor? Isn't it true that your view of the room was partially blocked by a wall and a hedge, and that the other door to the room and the windows were not visible at all? Is this the "secure arrangement" you actually compared to eating in your backyard garden?
5) During a BBC interview, Kate, you were adamant that the children would not awaken during the time you and your husband were dining. Yet since Madeleine had a history of sleepwalking, how could you be so sure of this? Were the children given any sleeping drugs or medications?
6) How often did you dine out (at child-friendly restaurants) while leaving the children alone? What were the distances of these restaurants from your room?
7) Did you ever hire private investigators after Madeleine's disappearance? If not, why?
8) What is the nature of the Limited Company you established after Maddy vanished? How much money has been raised and spent? For what were the spent monies used? Has any reward from the company been posted? Are any family members on the payroll? What are the limitations, if any, on how the money can be spent?
9) Why did you travel to the United States when not one lead ever suggested that Madeleine was taken there? How much money did you raise in America?
10) You stated in an earlier interview: "Looking at it from where we are now, I don't feel we were irresponsible, I feel we are very responsible parents." Do you still feel that way?
These questions are, at a minimum, a logical starting point to get to the bottom of Madeleine's disappearance.
However, there is one point that I simply cannot rectify:
Assume for a minute that if the police dog was accurate in its detection of death in the room, and the death was that of Madeleine - and we all pray that it is not - then why would the perpetrator take a dead child from the room?
A wise man once said that lies reveal more than they conceal.
In their quest for the truth, the British people have shown a temerity and passion that is increasingly rare. They should be justifiably proud of their tenacity in the face of tremendous adversity.
But Gerry and Kate, your 15 minutes are up.