Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Predictor

Seen Francie Toner named as Dundrums Senior Manager for this year

Gaffer

Quote from: Leftmidfield on January 18, 2016, 04:45:29 PM
Che, I'd be fairly confident he is talking about Benny McArdle not Benny Coulter.

He is surely talking about Benny Coulter as he states 'if he returns to the form he was in in 2010'

Who is Benny McArdle?
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

general

John Morgan & Martin McGarry taking Drumaness this year

cut the crap

Said it before , Benny is finished as an inter county footballer, he has a lot going on to fully concentrate on county football with his coaching career , his writing and his new career as a bar owner. On top of those he has the hopes and expectations of some of the down support and contributors on here, sorry lads if he has any cop on he will walk away and content himself with the role of coach/mentor and not as a down player

cut the crap

Sam exactly what are you going on about, my opinion is Benny as an inter county footballer is over, he was good , very good but everyone no matter how good they are ,stop sometime and his time to stop is now.For you to bring in Sean og  and distant anniversaries is in many ways very dis respectful but you are entitled ,as am I to voice your opinion, but tell me this in what way will Benny best serve his county , on the field or behind the scenes as a mentor and coach, unless you live in the twilight zone I think the answer is pretty obvious.

Lecale Gael

Down need to push ahead with new blood and renewed focus. seems to be nostalgia and flogging of dead horses is the Down blueprint. that is worrying
2016 Prediction Competition 3rd place :)

rosskarr

Quote from: Lecale Gael on January 21, 2016, 10:57:12 AM
Down need to push ahead with new blood and renewed focus. seems to be nostalgia and flogging of dead horses is the Down blueprint. that is worrying
So we're not allowed to celebrate and remember the success of our past players?Wise up

Brick Tamlin

We have been doing that for the last 30yrs.
Lamenting the past is something we seem to be pre-occupied with in this county and its evident from the top down.
No other county does it like us.

cut the crap

You have to agree with BrickTamlin , we as a county constantly trot out our past successes and failures as a panacea for our current predicament , success for this county is not a yearly guarantee ,we rely on good underage teams to mature and stay mostly together .Our biggest problem is the failure to capitalise on the meagre success we have had in the past, and that failure lies with the county executive.We now have a new manager who we should all get behind, there are new faces in the squad who we should support and have patience with, there have been good times in the past and some dire moments so the answer is patience , we have the talent , hopefully the new structures will encourage this talent to flourish and the success will follow,but that is only an opinion.

bannside

I get it now. Support your new manager. Support your new players. But once it all goes pear shape blame Sean Og!!

That's always the default position, isn't it?

cut the crap

If he is the common denominator for failure then logically he would have to go but he alone is not the county executive , at the last count there were 13 of them , so I believe if there is further spiral downward then a few if not all of these gentlemen and ladies would have to go.So in answer to your statement Sean og is not the default position but he is judged by the success or failure of our county and it follows that his future should be determined by the success of our county.

bannside

To make a breakthrough at the top level nowadays you need 15-20 really class acts. Players who transcend any era. Your all ireland winning teams had those type of players in abundance but they are a fairly rare commodity nowadays. I'm talking TOP players that all need to be available at the one time. Meath Cork Galway etc as well as Down have plenty of tradition but just in this era haven't got 15-20 standout players. That's the reality I'm afraid. Not much Sean Og or the board can really do about that.

SamFever

Quote from: bannside on January 21, 2016, 05:55:56 PM
To make a breakthrough at the top level nowadays you need 15-20 really class acts. Players who transcend any era. Your all ireland winning teams had those type of players in abundance but they are a fairly rare commodity nowadays. I'm talking TOP players that all need to be available at the one time. Meath Cork Galway etc as well as Down have plenty of tradition but just in this era haven't got 15-20 standout players. That's the reality I'm afraid. Not much Sean Og or the board can really do about that.
Can you swim back over the Bann and keep your opinions for your own County
or indeed counties as you seem be an Antrim fan but with a lot of opinions on Derry. Cheerio!

Line Ball

Quote from: bannside on January 21, 2016, 03:52:39 PM
I get it now. Support your new manager. Support your new players. But once it all goes pear shape blame Sean Og!!

That's always the default position, isn't it?

Stick to sorting out the numerous problems your own county has, it's not as if Antrim would blame their county secretary, county chairman or senior team manager!!!!!!   Bunch of clowns  ???

bannside

Go ahead the two of you and play the man not the subject. You haven't got the players at the minute (maybe they will return in the future) to lace the boots of previous generations but despite that you want to blame the county secretary. Tom fools.

Get real. You are a mile off the Down teams of the past. At least we are realistic about where we stand at the minute...not living in cloud cuckoo land like you pair of edjits!

Rant over and out.