U21 hurling 2016

Started by ashman, May 25, 2016, 09:04:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Are Southern Gaels still going? They're the only hurling club I can think of from the West of the county.

shark

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 26, 2016, 11:53:10 AM
Are Southern Gaels still going? They're the only hurling club I can think of from the West of the county.

They are, but comfortably the weakest team in the county. Think they had 1 on the panel last night, and have 1 on the senior panel. West of Mullingar there are only 3 teams; Castletown-geoghegan, Southern Gaels and Fr.Dalton's (Ballymore).

AZOffaly

What about Saint Brigids? They'd be west of Mullingar wouldn't they? My father hurled with Brigids. They'd be a neighbour of Castletown.

shark

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 26, 2016, 12:30:27 PM
What about Saint Brigids? They'd be west of Mullingar wouldn't they? My father hurled with Brigids. They'd be a neighbour of Castletown.

Yep, fair call. Technically, they are south of Mullingar so that's my excuse for forgetting them 🙈. They always produce a few decent hurlers despite pulling from 3 predominantly football villages.

AZOffaly

Historically I suppose a lot of their hurlers would have been from Dalystown. It's funny actually, I always remember Dalystown as being pure hurling, and they only played with the Bridge to have a bit of football to play. As opposed to their hurling team being made up of footballers, if you know what I mean.  Mind you, I was being somewhat facetious. I wouldn't count Dalystown or Castletown as 'west of Mullingar', even though they obviously are. I think the hurling line is west of Castletown. I'd always think of Castletown and Dalystown as essentially Mullingar.

shark

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 26, 2016, 12:52:36 PM
Historically I suppose a lot of their hurlers would have been from Dalystown. It's funny actually, I always remember Dalystown as being pure hurling, and they only played with the Bridge to have a bit of football to play. As opposed to their hurling team being made up of footballers, if you know what I mean.

Yeah I know what you mean. Not having their own pitch in Dalystown hampers that sense of identity I guess. Most of their team are footballers first.

AZOffaly

Nowadays I know they are. I'm thinking back to when my father played. His family alone probably provided a fair chunk of the team, and they would be hurlers first. I think the like of Olle Egan, Ollie Gallagher and a pile more would have been hurlers first. I suppose it speaks to that identity thing, they were always a bit homeless even back then. Their pitch was a kind of farmer's field with no dressing rooms.

ashman

Are Brownstown gone back a bit .

They were a fine side in the eighties .  Competitive in Leinster .

shark

Quote from: ashman on May 26, 2016, 01:04:25 PM

Yeah they have been between senior and inter for the past 15 years. Still producing individual players of county standard though. Clonkill, Raharney and Castletown-geoghegan are the only senior winners since about 2002 or 2003. I don't see anyone else breaking that anytime soon.

shark

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 26, 2016, 01:00:10 PM
Nowadays I know they are. I'm thinking back to when my father played. His family alone probably provided a fair chunk of the team, and they would be hurlers first. I think the like of Olle Egan, Ollie Gallagher and a pile more would have been hurlers first. I suppose it speaks to that identity thing, they were always a bit homeless even back then. Their pitch was a kind of farmer's field with no dressing rooms.

Before my time, but I have heard they were strong back then alright.

AZOffaly

They won 4 Senior Championships out of 5 from 1968 to 1972.

AZOffaly

Quote from: shark on May 26, 2016, 01:08:55 PM
Quote from: ashman on May 26, 2016, 01:04:25 PM

Yeah they have been between senior and inter for the past 15 years. Still producing individual players of county standard though. Clonkill, Raharney and Castletown-geoghegan are the only senior winners since about 2002 or 2003. I don't see anyone else breaking that anytime soon.

Brownstown were a great side in Westmeath. Ringtown and Cullion as well.

Iarmhí Abú

Incredible result.  I didn't see that coming.  There's a bit of momentum growing in WH hurling. Offaly at senior level and KK at U21 are significant scalps so far this year.  Last year's minor defeat of Wexford and the recent strong senior performance against Limerick were also notable. The U21's were unfortunate to lose narrowly to Dublin U21's in 2014 and the minors had a close run against KK a few years ago.  We're becoming more difficult to beat in Mullingar which augurs well.  There is a significant amount of good work being done but an overall strategy is required to ensure this isn't a cyclical blip.

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 26, 2016, 11:53:10 AM

They are.  Great numbers at the very youngest but seem to lose them along the way.  I think the lack of tradition in the area cause that.  A strong rugby and soccer scene too.  Also can't discount the pull of the big ball with both Athlone and Garrycastle.

They were merged at underage with Father Dalton's for a while in early to mid-noughties.  Won a few titles at U-16 and Minor but went their separate ways short after.

/Jim.

manfromdelmonte

St Brigids have no underage section of their own. But yet they are senior. Baffling.
Castletown basically pull all in players all the way from mullingar to Moate. They have a huge pick and that keeps them competitive
Fr Dalton's pull in anyone from Loughnavalley to Drumraney and Tang that wants to hurl. Its all football clubs, but they have a huge pick.

Southern Gaels is based in Athlone, a town where GAA isn't very popular and there has been no urban development GAA strategy or funding for the same. S Gaels seem to try their best at underage, but there's no real backing from the county board to follow it through into schools etc
Mullingar town is similar with Oliver Plunketts. Two towns with population of 20,000 and neither have any plans for developing hurling or football. Crazy stuff.