John Mitchel - a lover of slavery - time to remove his name from GAA clubs?

Started by sid waddell, June 09, 2020, 11:20:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitey

Quote from: hardstation on June 09, 2020, 03:09:38 PM
St. Teresa offends me.

Exactly, I can see how non Catholics/Christians would feel excluded by a club being called after a Catholic Saint

J70

Quote from: whitey on June 09, 2020, 03:20:40 PM
I was just pointing out that if we go down this road......where does it stop?

On the Mayo blog a few years ago someone  suggested that Dia is Muire Lin should be removed from the crest as it was exclusionary to those of other faiths and no faith

So because of the slippery slope, we shouldn't reevaluate ANY names being honoured?

(Not being antagonistic BTW - its obviously a pertinent point)

whitey

Quote from: J70 on June 09, 2020, 03:35:35 PM

On the Mayo blog a few years ago someone  suggested that Dia is Muire Lin should be removed from the crest as it was exclusionary to those of other faiths and no faith

So because of the slippery slope, we shouldn't reevaluate ANY names being honoured?

Who said that?

My question is where does it stop, or in fact does it stop?

So let's put every club and pitch name out there and if even one person feels offended or excluded let's change the name to something generic  and be done with it

Taylor

This is something I have been thinking about recently.

How many people has to be offended by something before we take action?

Now BLM/slaves is all straightforward is that it is abhorrent but when someone else brings up something, who takes decisions on what is offensive and what is historical etc?

nrico2006

You could go all day with this. Did slaves not build the Pyramids - should they be knocked down?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

J70

Quote from: whitey on June 09, 2020, 03:43:49 PM

Who said that?

So let's put every club and pitch name out there and if even one person feels offended or excluded let's change the name to something generic  and be done with it

Obviously that is something that needs to be discussed... without the histrionics of your last sentence.

whitey

Quote from: Taylor on June 09, 2020, 03:53:19 PM

Now BLM/slaves is all straightforward is that it is abhorrent but when someone else brings up something, who takes decisions on what is offensive and what is historical etc?

So Thomas Francis Meagher, a hero of the Union army During the American Civil War fighting to defeat slavery

After the civil war he went out to Montana where he (supposedly) mistreated the Native Americans and put down an insurrection

Do we pull down all monuments to him too?

whitey

Quote from: J70 on June 09, 2020, 04:10:00 PM

Who said that?

Obviously that is something that needs to be discussed... without the histrionics of your last sentence.

No J70....you can't pick and choose. People are either offended or they're not

J70

Quote from: whitey on June 09, 2020, 04:15:57 PM
Quote from: J70 on June 09, 2020, 04:10:00 PM

Who said that?

No J70....you can't pick and choose. People are either offended or they're not

Who said anything about picking and choosing?

I'm talking about a mature, informed, serious discussion of these issues.

Throwing your toys out of the pram in advance by saying " if even one person feels offended or excluded let's change the name to something generic  and be done with it" is helpful to no one.

BennyCake

Sure didn't the story go that St Patrick while up on Slemish, tending to sheep I presume, was so hungry he ate their food. What an utter bollix! . Time to get rid of all the St Patrick's clubs. And strip him of the title of patron saint of Ireland.

whitey

J70...if you point a finger, you have 3 pointing back at yourself

Actually, Castlebar Mitchels had an expert come in and speak about John Mitchell.

I wonder if there were any ructions at the event

http://www.castlebarmitchels.com/news_detail/10054098/

J70

Quote from: whitey on June 09, 2020, 04:50:15 PM
J70...if you point a finger, you have 3 pointing back at yourself

Actually, Castlebar Mitchels had an expert come in and speak about John Mitchell.

I wonder if there were any ructions at the event

http://www.castlebarmitchels.com/news_detail/10054098/

So talking about having a discussion of whether we should continue to honour controversial figures from the past is actually a reflection of... what, exactly?

Taylor

Quote from: whitey on June 09, 2020, 04:14:12 PM

So Thomas Francis Meagher, a hero of the Union army During the American Civil War fighting to defeat slavery

After the civil war he went out to Montana where he (supposedly) mistreated the Native Americans and put down an insurrection

Well thats the thing - if Native Americans had an issue then why wouldnt we?

We cannot base it on whoever makes the most noise/does the most damage to society & infrastructure having their way or is that the way it should be done?

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

I know quiet a few Trotsky sinn FĂ©iners who refuse to say Dia Duit when speaking Irish. But happy enough to say goodbye. Arseholes, will destroy the country

whitey

Quote from: Taylor on June 09, 2020, 05:20:58 PM
Quote from: whitey on June 09, 2020, 04:14:12 PM

Well thats the thing - if Native Americans had an issue then why wouldnt we?

We cannot base it on whoever makes the most noise/does the most damage to society & infrastructure having their way or is that the way it should be done?

History is complicated and many famous figures cannot be viewed through just one lens